New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 9 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Blairsville Downtown Development
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  07:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago I went to a meeting about getting a Blairsville downtown development group started. A man from the University of GA came and he told us about how Blue Ridge and Cleveland got started in changing the looks of their downtown areas.

One of the problems I remember about our businesses on the square at that time, was that none of the people at the meeting except for one, actually OWNED the building. All the store fronts were being rented.

Of course those folks wanted change, but what insentive did they have spending thousands of dollars on buildings that they would never own. You would have to get the OWNERS of the buildings on the square to get involved and spend some $$$ Until that happens it will stay the same.

There is alot of grant money available for the asking for projects like this from what the UGA guy had told us at that meeting. Free money to help Blairsville get a "face lift" ! It could happen with the right leaders.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  09:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not get the owners of the buildings and have another meeting?

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea, from what I got after that meeting was that the owners weren't too interested in spending any money at that time, but that was a while ago and things are changing.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I hope things do change. Our town, surrounded by all the mountains, could be a beautiful little town.

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  11:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is the right place for this post or not. It does have to do with the city tho.
What or when are they planning to do about the roads in town...especially around the square??
On my last couple of visits to town, I haven't saw any workers, so I'm assuming that the work replacing the water or sewer lines is finished...??
I read Nelly's post about her son's car. I'm sure his isn't the only one to be damaged. I was coming by Foodland onto the square and next thing I know...Wham!...huge dip in the road which jarred my Explorer big time! Plus I was slowing to stop when I hit it, because cars were coming around the square!
Seems to me if the work is completed, the city should get busy repairing the damage to the streets.
Just my opinion...

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they have hired a lady to be in charge of downtown development!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In big citys, road crews work on roads during nite time hours alot.. it helps out not only to them for not having the traffic in their way but also to trafficers because it keeps congestion during business hours from piling up moreso. WHY DOES THIS CITY NOT DO THAT? Its small enough as it is and I know good things are coming from this stuff but when the town is so small, and youre needing to go to a place of business, the last thing ya wanna do is sit and try to figure out how to park and where to park when they are pilin up stuff in the front door of a business.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  05:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daughter, that sounds like something that should be in a Letter to the Editor to one or both of the local newspapers. Very good suggestion for the work to be done at night. Less disruption of traffic and perhaps less danger to the workers (less traffic on the roads).

GrayEagle
Your Choice. Make today a wonderful Day!Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  12:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we were in Fla., we were in a small town, Umatilla. They paved the road at night and it was open the next morning.

Go to Top of Page

Jeepbuddy

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  4:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea to have road work completed at night but I think cost is the issue. You have to pay the contractor more to work at night and in this tax cut environment, no one want to increase costs and have to raise taxes.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." FDRGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  6:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that tax stuff could go a long ways in convo.. but I am not much in the mood for it right at the moment. That is probably the reasoning tho there Jeep Buddy!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  11:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blairsville has a WHOLE lot of potential to become a real destination town in the mountains. Now is the time to look at your neighbors, see what works and what doesn't - get the community interested, give people a sense of ownership - host a charrette or similar activity to get creative juices flowing and let people's opinions be heard! All of these things could be done with a minimal financial investment and could help Blairsville get a strong identity and vision for the future.

I totally agree with the people who mentioned that development is happening willy-nilly with little thought to the town as a whole, or the impact on the future. Remember, when you allow a little strip mall into your community you are stuck with it for 20+ years. I am also appalled at the complete disregard for environmentally responsible development. The topography of the area can prevent definite challenges for development. It is a challenge and an opportunity all at the same time. I was shocked at the crazy fill project for the court house parking addition, and really saddened by the giant chunk of fill that has been dumped across from the entrance to butternut creek and advertised at commercial land.

Blairsville needs some good planning and zoning! Right now is when Comprehensive Plans are being updated...have you guys looked at what the RDC has whipped up for you? Have they reflected your vision for the next 10 years? Just a thought.

Some people grin and bear it - Others smile and change itGo to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  5:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
electra, Kathy Papa, who is the DCA Region 2 Representative, is involved with the Downtown Revitalization initiative listed here <click> and here <click>.

There's further information in the related forum here:
http://blairsville.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=35

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as they don't make it like Helen, you can't get through there most of the time because of the traffic and "touristers"

If they make downtown a draw for tourist or such, they better get started on the REAL bypass as you won't be able to get through town. I don't mind them redoing downtown as long as I don't have to go through it to get to where I'm going on the outside of town.

whyGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, we don't want another Helen!!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Helen? You've got to be kidding.

At most, the area might become another Blue Ridge.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the dreaded Blue - tourist only down town, we don't sell anything local people want - Ridge.

whyGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  2:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, if Blue Ridge was full of kitchy souvenirs, I could see your point.

The last time I was in Blue Ridge, I saw wonderful paintings, carvings, crafts, and furniture. And nice restaurants and a park to stroll in. I don't think that is "tourist-only" stuff.

Helen, on the other hand is full of kitchy souvenirs that only a tourist might want, though there are probably exceptions.

Now, if you are saying you would prefer to see more of a "working downtown" like in the old days, I understand. The problem is, most towns outgrow their downtown areas, but you are left with all these buildings that should be preserved and used.

What Blue Ridge has done is a good choice.

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  3:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wildflower...I agree with you 100%. The kind of downtown that I think Why would like doesn't exist anywhere anymore. Wish it did but Mayberry-type downtowns are long gone. Most "successful" downtowns have some sort of theme and things to attract people to the downtown area. Blue Ridge has the train and lots of very nice shops. Helen is really tacky and touristy in the worst sense of the word but the shops there apparently do well. Blairsville has the old courthouse and hopefully that building will be the anchor for redevelopment.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  4:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Blue Ridge down town from over 20 years ago. Mostly vacant buildings, a few stores still struggling to make it. I think Blue Ridge is very nice downtown now. i wish blairsville could be more like it. We built a house for the guy that started the trend. he bought the old hotel and turned it into an antique store.

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  4:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit I haven't walked through Blue Ridge lately, I'm not in the market for carvings, paintings and such. I do need a new pair of jeans now and then or I might want a pair of shoes. All I'm saying is make the town friendly to the people who live here, either by having usefull stores or let us by pass it to get to where we are going without the hassel of tourists.

I have to come through town every day, usually comming and going, if I have to sit on the squire waiting for someone to decide which whatnot store to go in then I am wasting my time. Traffic must be routed around town well before getting to shoe factory road from the south and before the redlight from the north and west and before the persent "bypass" that goes through the school property. If I can get to the Blairsville Restaurant in the morning to eat breakfast without one out of town tag getting in my way it will be allright.

The down town area of Blairsville had lost its charm of old many years ago when they let them remove the older homes and stores and cut all the large trees. The town could have been a real "old town" attraction if this had not been allowed.

Save the town, but don't distroy it to do so.

whyGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  5:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would look beautiful if there were still trees downtown!

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  5:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a pretty little town when to older homes and stores and trees were around the squire. The older buildings would have made for some great gift shops and antique stores.

I guess everything comes down to money, where can we make the most.

whyGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  6:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that the gas station on the square was built in 1949.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  6:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The down town area of Blairsville had lost its charm of old many years ago when they let them remove the older homes and stores and cut all the large trees. The town could have been a real "old town" attraction if this had not been allowed."

That explains a lot about the square. It's too bad.

I can't speak about your current government because they may have inherited problems they didn't create. But, I don't think there has been a lot of foresight in Blairsville. It's a pity when you think of the natural setting it was endowed with.

As far as a "working downtown" like they used to have . . . ironically, there are new developments going up all across the country where they create a modern-day working downtown as a part of them. They even have a name for them . . . "neo-something".

But they have the advantage of planning from day one. They know exactly how big the community is going to be and what they need in the way of businesses to make it function.

Biltmore Park in Asheville is one of those. They have created their own old-fashioned downtown so you don't have to leave the development for a lot of things.

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy