New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile
I read the same thing and had the same questions.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  3:06:51 PM  Show Profile
There was a survey by the NGN quite a few years ago asking if people wanted liquor sold in this county. The first week the survey was in favor of liquor being sold. (An employee of ours who does drink told us this) His church passed out copies of the survey at church and told everyone to vote no which my employee did. The next week, there were lots more no's than yes's in the newspaper poll.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  6:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
After doing some studying on this issue. And yeah believe it or not I studied it. I get really ILL at the ones who keep blaming this issue of no liquor or beer sells on the churches. Do people not have common sense enough to realize that NO ONE knows what you vote. I mean if you take an "X" amount of people in a church and give them the ballots I would say that the majority would vote against it but if you take that "x" amount of ballots there will probably be 25% that would vote for it. But WHO is going to know who voted what? It's a private issue. BUT I am not ashamed to say I will vote against it. I will vote No in every part of the ballot. Not because of what SOMEONE tells me to do but because of MY BELIEFS, NOT YOUR BELIEFS BUT MY OWN. I get sick of people "watering down" the situation to suit their own "desires" . It's sickening!

The day everyone jumped for joy when smoking was no longer allowed in restaraunts was their celebration. The day this sell of alcohol in restaraunts doesn't pass I will jump for joy!

After studying this a "tad bit" but pretty much to what I already knew....As for the "water into wine" issue goes, that all the other people want to throw at Christian people. It was no more than "fruit of the vine".......JUICE! Strong drink back then was only 5% alcohol. Less than a can of beer!

I can't believe you all read that article in the paper and didn't understand it. It was literally "Black and White" to me. Common Sense as a matter of fact! And Jeremy Henderson if you're reading this! Amen to every word!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  7:17:34 PM  Show Profile
I am not blaming anyone. Someone asked a question and I am only reporting what I was told by a former employee.
Now I personally would like to have liquor sold in this county in a store, but I am probably going to vote against liquor by the drink. I prefer to brown bag it myself.

Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  7:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage
I am ambivalent on this issue. I can see where alcohol sold in restaurants might help the local economy. In additon, I do not like a government telling me something else I cannot do. On the other hand, when we eat out (outside of Union Co.) we hardly ever order wine or a mixed drink. Guess we prefer to drink at home.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile
No, it wasn't black & white Native. It makes no sense at all. Why is it a vote against the church? Why does he make it a church issue? Is it a sin to have a glass of wine? Why does he think people want the church gone or get rid of people??

"Mr. Drunkard, I wanted to let you know that you can cast your vote against the church if you want. You will not be the first and you will not be the last. We have been voted against for centuries and I assure you that we will continue to be voted against. However, after you cast your ballot and you are gone, the church will still be here. People just like you have tried to get rid of us for centuries and when all is said and done they are gone and the church still remains. I recommend you find forgiveness of your sins and join us if you want to be an eternal fixture in the scheme of things." -Pastor Jeremy Henderson

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  9:09:07 PM  Show Profile
I think it meant, if you vote YES on the ballot for alcohol, then your voting against the Church. In other words, Churches (for the most part) are against alcohol sales in the county, so if you vote for the sale of alcohol, your going against what the Church stands for!

I don't know though, that is what I got out of it, but I agree, it was a little confusing, I had to re-read it a few times!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  9:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Maddy, If you're asking ME if I think it's a sin for ME to drink , Yes I do. Little bits or Lots. Either way I see it wrong.

If you're asking me IF it IS A SIN? I can't answer that.

I don't base my answers by what a preacher tells me or what so and so says. It's in my heart. What is wrong for me is wrong for me. What is wrong for you is wrong for you.

What Jeremy wrote is more of interpretation from each person. We all get a different "theory" with it. But I will say this, Jeremy knew what he was writing about. I imagine knowing Jeremy made me understand it even more.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  9:16:39 PM  Show Profile
**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you

I'm liking my quote more & more each day.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  9:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Yes Ma'm, And I thank God for THE truth!

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  9:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Native, I don't think it is those of us that will vote "yes" on this issue that are inflaming it using the "Church" here.

The man that wrote the letter, although he may be well intentioned, bsically said that if anyone votes "yes" on this issue, it is a vote against the Church. Which means that those of us that hold our faith sacred are being accused of being against the Church. I couldn't believe that someone would say such a thing, which is where my confusion came from.

I stand in judgment of no one, not him, not you, not anyone. I do my very best to love as Christ loves me. I don't happen to believe drinking in moderation is a sin. I expect that ALL Christians would treat one another with love and respect all the time, but especially on an issue as volatile as this one, where the entire Christian community is divided.

If this is becoming a "Christian" issue, it is because those in some churchs are making it that way.

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  9:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
Maybe this pastor is afflected with the same malady as many church leaders are.Its narcissistic personality disorder (NPD)When they think that they should tell people how to vote, This could indicate that they are at the zenith of the disorder. William R Jenkins Realist

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  11:01:24 PM  Show Profile
I believe the letter written by the Pastor was in response to a Viewpoint in last week's paper. I looked on the NGN website, but couldn't find anything...and I don't have last week's paper, but I do remember reading it.

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  12:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Topaz, you're spot on. The pastor was responding to the following ViewPoint: "If church members can vote to outlaw alcohol, why can't drunks vote to outlaw all the churches?"

From a strictly logical perspective, there are far more churches and churchgoing members than drunks, so any such voting would fail. But Pastor Henderson was sufficiently incensed to respond with a letter to the editor, as quoted above by Maddy.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  12:45:06 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Casey lots.. Church is important.. God has never condemned my heart for having a drink but has for being drunk (years ago when I did have a spell of that).. I do believe you should work for and not against church/.... we are supposed to worship with our neighbors.. there will be no drunkards in heaven it reads in the Bible and their will be no theifs or cheats either.. there will be no prideful people either... no liars, sinners.. all of that kinda stuff.. but God does love his children. I agree totally more with Casey the more I think about it..

Abuse and control... moderation..

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  06:14:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:

there will be no drunkards in heaven it reads in the Bible and their will be no theifs or cheats either.. there will be no prideful people either... no liars, sinners.. all of that kinda stuff.. but God does love his children. I agree totally more with Casey the more I think about it..

Nope, no drunkards, thiefs, cheats, prideful, people, sinners, etc....in God's heaven....
only ALL of His children who have been cleansed from all of their sins...because He forgives and loves.

God is good!

I personally enjoy a good bottle of wine or a drink once in a while and I do not feel it lessens my relationship with God in any way. As for being against the churches if I vote yes, it's not that personal. I don't feel I'm voting against anything or anyone but FOR something that exists here already and can benefit our area.

I do understand the standpoint of the churches but I do not believe that any church should TELL it's members what to do....I believe that churches are to guide you into the Spirit so that you are moved to live your life in a personal relationship with God. Native expressed that well.....she's not voting with her church, she's voting her heart, and that's what we're supposed to do.

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  06:47:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Topaz, you're spot on. The pastor was responding to the following ViewPoint: "If church members can vote to outlaw alcohol, why can't drunks vote to outlaw all the churches?"

From a strictly logical perspective, there are far more churches and churchgoing members than drunks, so any such voting would fail. But Pastor Henderson was sufficiently incensed to respond with a letter to the editor, as quoted above by Maddy.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Now, the letter makes sense. I had asked if I was missing something, & I was missing that one. There's no reason anyone should have even written a letter like that.
**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**

Edited by - mad4martinis on 04/14/2006 12:22:33 PMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  08:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
quote:
Native expressed that well.....she's not voting with her church, she's voting her heart, and that's what we're supposed to do.

Nelly, You're truely an angel! For many reasons, that go "unseen" but you understand where I am coming from. It's nothing to do with the Church with me. It's what "convicts" my heart. It's my personal relationship with the Lord. I don't "point my fingers" at others. I guess this topic hits nerves on both ends, but there was a time in my life that I didn't have a problem with it. I could drink a glass of wine, mixed drink or whatever and didn't see anything wrong with it IN MY HEART but there came a day that the Lord told me it was wrong FOR ME. I am grateful you understood my wording in this. I am also thankful that the "spirit bears witness" with this through you and me. See....Nelly isn't my denomination of religion but we see eye to eye on it. That's all I am trying to get across, its Personal. Nelly, You My Dear was in Harmony with what I meant! Thank you! It has nothing to do with "religion" or being told what to do in my case, in fact, My pastor doesn't eat pork. Nor will he eat out on Sundays (because to him its eating food that workers have to break the Sabbath in order to prepare) but to him its a sin. Not to me. I have one of the best pastors in the world. He doesn't TELL us what to do but he TEACHES us through his PERSONAL relationship with the Lord what the Lord has given him to give to us in his messages. To follow a group and a leader is , to me, a cult. I do not belong to a cult. I belong to a church family that WE ALL believe in the Word of God. We ALL read the church convenant, after reading that convenant it was our CHOICE to join that church. Not Hitler style, but out of the Love of the Lord. I once went to a church that never allowed any one to teach Sunday school if they had been married (due to divorce), so you see Church's all over this county have different ways, but it's a persons decision to worship where they want. But at the same time not point their fingers and say "well, we do it this way or we do it that way and yours is wrong"....I never said that. My quote tells it all! And I like it more and more.

I love ya Nelly! Thank you for the strong support!

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  08:33:22 AM  Show Profile
This post is officially titled "EATING MY WORDS." After I read Shadow's post and went back to the prior weeks NGN and read the original letter.

The first post fired the first shot at the Church. The pastor that replied was more than justified in his reply and I apologize for jumping to conclusions when I read his post.

Native, I also apologize to you if I offended. While I stand by my position on alcohol and the Church, but I certainly respect your position and can agree to disagree on this and any other issue.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  08:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Ok now I gotta go back and read too cause I just got a jist of this now.. although Lady understands me more than,.... well anyways!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  09:17:23 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I jumped in on this. I had an employee that worked for us for about 2 years and he just recently worked for Builder's first, so Native's hubby knows him. He told us that he was given a printed ballot that appeared in the NGN (5 years ago or so) in his sunday school class. He and the rest of the class were told how to fill out the ballot and then the teacher picked the ballots up and hundreds of them were then submitted to the NGN. There was no secret ballot, the teacher looked at them all to see if they were filled out as instructed.
I don't feel like that is right.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  10:42:19 AM  Show Profile
I believe you, Coosa.

It sounds like the first letter in the NGN took a shot at the churches and the minister responded to that.

However, it's disingenuous to say the churches are not the primary reason for the current law. Even the minister wrote that a vote for serving wine is a vote against "the church."

One thing that strikes me about this is that this is a denominational issue, not a Christian issue. Some Christian denominations are against drinking and some are not.

This same vote came up in Murphy, NC a few years ago and the Baptist churches preached to their members from the pulpit to vote against it. A huge effort was made to squash that vote and the church suceeded . . . that time.

This was no secret in Murphy.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  11:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
We, God's children, are the Church.

Wildflower, didn't you say you live in Town's Co? I am wondering why you are so worried about Blairsville. You have your drinks there in your town. And I haven't seen the first restaraunt come in that area or in Fannin or in Murphy....Do any of you see Outback or Long Horns' there? Me either. It won't bring them here either.

And it won't be a secret in Blairsville that more than likely, every church (People) will come together during this time to keep the vote from happening. In fact, it's a work in progress as we speak.

Also you will see more registered voters this time more than ever. Whether being for it or against it. Those that won't vote for our country will come out of the wood work to vote "this" in or "out.

And to my surprise, most of the 18/19/20 year olds that I've heard talking about it, are voting No. Surprising isn't it?

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  12:28:02 PM  Show Profile
I personally think that some people who are trying to get people to vote one way are manipulating the system and people. It's your right to vote yes or no either way. It was like that back in the Presidential election. Vote for this guy because he's more Christian the the next guy.
If it's money being used to fight against this, then I'd rather see them use the money towards a needy family or to help someone through the hospital bills that insurance isn't paying for while they are fighting for their life.
I'd rather see a vote on the ballot for store sales of beer/wine or liquor rather than by the drink.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  12:51:35 PM  Show Profile
That is what I prefer too, Maddy!!

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy