New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
schmooze

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Well the 2 "private" clubs
Got raided by revenuers the other day in Towns county...
VFW and Cranberry cottage?
Trying to get a license to pour
but they keep changing the rules on
us!
We will be discussing the issue at st pats
party at Ollies tonight!
Oh by Ga. statutes Brown bagging is Illegal!
and driving with open bottles is Illegal...
The things you learn when you dig real deep!
Fred

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
quote:
Oh by Ga. statutes Brown bagging is Illegal!

Not true. State law does not prohibit it. Cities and Counties can take away that ability by passing an ordinance restricting it. There is nothing in the County ordinances that takes that ability away. I can't speak for the City of Blairsville though as I've not seen their ordinances.

[Edited to correct information I posted earlier]

quote:
and driving with open bottles is Illegal...

True, but only if the alcohol is within reach. If you put it in the trunk and don't have a mini-2-seater where the trunk is in arm's reach, then you've established that the alcohol is not within consumption or concealment range, and that is legal.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/17/2006 8:18:00 PMGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  4:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
Schmooze.I am surprised to learn about the Vfw,but I am happy.several years ago I was member. Quit because of ethics and being one of the few conservatives,difficulty in communications.At the time they were buying equiptment for the local police dept. The main objection was vulgar barflies and they established and operated illegal gambling devices.Seems as everyone there smoked, except yours truly. I appreciate your info. William R. Jenkins Realist

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  4:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Glad to know that about the bottles, we will now put them in the back hatch. Don't know what to do with the other two cars, you can reach anything in them.

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  5:25:37 PM  Show Profile
As a realtor I have NEVER had customers not decide to buy a home here because Union County was a "dry" county. They roll their eyes a little sometimes and we joke about the buying beer & wine in certain places and that you have to drive to Murphy NC to buy liquer, but I have to say that it has never been a big deal to anyone. I think it could really bring some extra tax $$$ into our county that could be put to good use. Has anyone come up with an accurate figure as to how much extra money the county would get from the sale of alcohol? That would be an interesting figure to look at..

I will vote yes, I was in the Red Lobster at Exit 20 and our waitress told me how many people from Blairsville have asked if they were ever going to build one up this way. Maybe now we have a chance to have one. Fear of change is normal and change is inevidable.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  5:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
The Commissioner's previous estimate two years ago, based on Towns County revenue, was $150,000. While a handy amount of money, no one's property taxes would go down as a result of it.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/17/2006 5:29:45 PMGo to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  5:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Shadow, I would have guessed higher but I guesss every year it continues to grow. Still, that's a good chunk of change! It's hard to measure how much is lost when people make a choice to leave Union County to have that glass of wine with dinner. How much is lost must be a much large number don't you think?

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  6:39:10 PM  Show Profile
Wow I can't even keep up with this topic, it's gone over like wild fire. 5 pages?

It's a good topic. Keep it coming. Either way I'll be fine, but I think it's a good thing to get some different restraunts up here and it's fine with me.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  7:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
I don't think the voting process and the allowing of the legal sales of alcohol will brihg the wrath of god on all the consumers of the witches brew, but expect the news media to appear when the word reaches Atlanta about the local hapnins.

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  8:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
Reviewing the Georgia Code about the subject of alcohol, I ran across this interesting item:

3-4-160.
3-4-160.2.(b).(1) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, any municipality which lies wholly or partially within a county which has approved in a county-wide referendum the sale of distilled spirits by the drink for consumption only on the premises as provided in Part 1 of Article 5 of this chapter may, by ordinance or resolution and without the necessity of conducting a separate referendum, authorize the sale of distilled spirits by the drink for consumption only on the premises and may exercise the powers contained in this title relating to the sale of distilled spirits by the drink for consumption only on the premises.

3-4-160.2.(c) A municipality shall not be authorized to approve the manufacture, sale, or distribution of distilled spirits as provided in subsection (a) of this Code section or the sale of distilled spirits by the drink for consumption only on the premises as provided in subsection (b) of this Code section unless a majority of the electors voting in the county-wide referendum election who reside in the municipality voted in favor of approving the manufacture, sale, or distribution of distilled spirits or in favor of approving the sale of distilled spirits by the drink for consumption only on the premises.

So the City of Blairsville might not have to require a separate referendum if it is passed successfully in the County and they can determine from that vote that the majority of voters within the City also supported it.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/17/2006 8:17:11 PMGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  9:47:07 PM  Show Profile
I have decided to jump into this fray as an outsider. Lake Runner, I agree with you and your comments about why we moved here. As a point of reference Forsyth County was in the same situation as Union. The county was losing 3.5 million dollars per year. The City of Cumming filed suit against the county and won. When the city started pouring, the county had to follow suit.

Alcohol has been with us since the first early man stood upright and found some grain and fruit fermenting in a depression in a rock. I am no Bible scholar but did not some prominent Bibical figures drink wine" I don't think Welch's grape juice was available. Please enlighten me, exactly at what point in the Bible did the switch from wine to grape juice occur?

As I stated in a previous post, I do not think your diety, note I did not say God, cares whether or not Union County is wet or dry, sells alcoholic beverages or not. Someone stated in a prior post that Union County is a Christian community. Just exactly what is that?

Why is it that someone is always using the church as a crutch to support their private agenda and to attempt to use their religeous doctrine to influnce a democratic vote. I personally make my own decisions on everything(naturally with my brides input) not what the minister of my church and the church body says. I stand on my on feet, and my personal beliefs are just that, personal.

The alcohol vote in Union County is a democratic vote. I hope it passes. If not this time, economic pressure will force the issue. If not, progress and growth will just bypass Union and this will be a dead, lifeless community. None of us want that, but change is inevitable. This rhetoric about outsiders against locals does nothing but disinfranchise the ones moving in, making the division more pronounced. That is inherently wrong. Union County and the mountains do not belong to the "locals" but everybody and "outsiders" will continue to flow in and as the Indians said as they looked Eastward, where in hell did all those people come from.

Social Change

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
quote:
Why is it that someone is always using the church as a crutch to support their private agenda and to attempt to use their religeous doctrine to influnce a democratic vote. I personally make my own decisions on everything(naturally with my brides input) not what the minister of my church and the church body says. I stand on my on feet, and my personal beliefs are just that, personal.

This SOMEONE doesn't or never will use their church as a "crutch". You misinterepted what I said. Number One, I wasn't USING my church. Number TWO, I don't let my spouse or anyone else sway my decisions. And to find your answers to WHY I made MY OWN decision it's stated in the Religious Forum! It's a thing called conviction. Personal decisions.

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:14:13 PM  Show Profile
There are at least two themes here.

One is the vote as a religious issue.

The other is the vote as a legal issue and what are the details.

Mixing these is not helpful. The vote will happen and majority decides.

The religious questions should be in the appropriate Forum. Those who are seeking clarification about legalities are correctly here in this Forum.

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/17/2006 10:15:06 PMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
I clearly stated that to SC, and Thank you for your observations.

How's the weather?

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree the church issue should be in the Religion forum, but since numerous other posters were mentioning the church and church goers, I decided to jump in. And yes, this should be a democratic vote with no undue outside forces attempting to sway voters.

Social changeGo to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:27:21 PM  Show Profile
SC

My posting was not to you but to the numerous people who cannot keep the business of the two Forums separated.

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/17/2006 10:36:35 PMGo to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Grey Eagle has opened a good topic on the Religion forum.

The link is:

http://www.blairsville.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2620

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/17/2006 10:42:18 PMGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
Social change you have expressed my opinion better that I could. I think I am the one that mentioned the former commissioner Harold Cook making the ststement," This is A christian community." I was very much in disagreement and told him so . This is A community for all people,no exclusions.William R. Jenkins

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  01:28:50 AM  Show Profile
It seems a few people wish to vote against this measure because it is against their beliefs, whether religious or personal. As a Catholic, it is not against my faith to drink in moderation. As a libertarian, I believe in free will. I cannot impose my personal beliefs on others, so I look at this issue from a utilitarian perspective. What is best for the citizens of Union County? With every patron driving out of town to enjoy a nice dinner at an upscale chain restaurant, at least $20 per individual leaves the county. Add up all of those Blairsvillians who eat in other places, and we have a huge loss of both business revenue and tax income for the county. By keeping that money within our borders, the local economy will strengthen. More tax money can be used for schools, recreation, roads, and health care.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, and I've seen the dangers of wanton drinking (source: college students on spring break). I do not mind driving to Young Harris, Blue Ridge, or Murphy to buy alcohol in bulk; that is not a bad price to pay to keep the DUI count down around here. However, I know Union County needs to keep every dime it can within its coffers to stay afloat. When local sales tax income stays up, there's less need to increase property taxes.

Vote however you want, but please make an informed vote. This is a very moderate liquor law. Underage drinking will not increase. No sane person is going to feed his or her alcoholism with a $100 tab when they can drive to the next town's package store for a fraction of the cost. No restaurant will risk losing its license by serving an intoxicated individual. Finally, the economic benefits to the county far outweigh the costs.

Prohibition has never worked, and it fails to keep Union County alcohol-free today.

Go to Top of Page

WIL

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  01:30:05 AM  Show Profile
At a very young age, having lived on a poor and small farm in Bavaria, everyone, 6 - 70 worked (literally) dawn till dusk bringing in the food. The one and pretty much only 'beverage' provided was Beer. Water was not always safe from stream, Milk was straight from Cow. The only thing left was, BEER. ... Yes I like Beer and a Mai Tie
(humor: a man should never be out with a beautifull woman with out a Tie.. Bartender please give me MY TIE)

But "anything" used in excess.... will lead you ??????

Some catagories of excessive compulsive behaviors:

ALCOHOL
DRUGS
FOOD
(bad)LANGUAGE
Gossip

WILGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  02:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Yep! I agree! Then again you only listed a few and probably the list could really eat up the boards of over excessiveness. :)

So if you lived here, I take it you would vote yes too.?

I was told once and I undoubtly believe its true,

Sometimes people try to self medicate.. find the adjustment be it alcohol or whatever makes them feel... better or takes away the... whatever.
Although thats not a wonderful excuse for why alcoholism is.. I dont think its the one beer telling you to get another,.... I think that is where moderation and responsable people comes in.. some are responsable and can handle and maintain while others can not. To base this on creating alcoholism... Its not the alcohol I dont believe.. my personal opinion.

As for food.. thats just what I did tonite.. Im guilty!

Bad Language... it sometimes like with my dad,... thats how I can tell hes been drinking. His words are more sharp.
but yeah, I say wordy dirds and Id be an imposter to say I dont.. not that I make them creatively part of my speech.. they fling out sometimes and I could just about wonder if it is a short case of terrets. No excuse but no reason to fake it either.

Gossip..lol Do you know what County this is..lol
I was taught to not believe nothing you hear, only half of what you see... then again.. Ive had to really wonder in my lifetime about somethings...

Now I dont know what Gossip has to do with beer but I can assure you that I along with many other of my friends have had gossip started by a few that drank a lil so Ill tie that into make it fit cause there again, Id be lying if I faked that and heck,... it does tie into the topic. :)

Even caring has an ulterior motive. from the movie NELL

Go to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  09:17:31 AM  Show Profile
If you read the arrest report in the paper you would have to be kidding yourself if you think this county is "dry". Look at the trash on the roadsides. There are so many DUI arrests here every week. Middle and high school kids are drinking, we haven't protected these children from the " evils of drinking". We have not accomplished anything by this law other than loosing the income to other places. We haven't been able to create the utopia that we think is here.

If people want to drink and drive they are going to do it. Period. Not selling alcohol has not stopped those folks from drinking nor will it. Now they just drink and drive farther distances under the influence.

Chris, I agree 100% with you on this one.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  09:27:07 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Chris too. Prohibition was over before all of us were even born. The fact that you could never buy alcohol in this area was because that was one of the few ways people here made a living, making moonshine. Now, that is what I was told when I moved here, by a moonshiner, who was also a sheriff deputy.

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:32:28 AM  Show Profile
I think I have said most of my piece in older topices but I will rehash parts of them. My beliefs are personal and wheither they stem from religion or experence doesn't mater, its just what I believe.

I will vote no on both counts. I've seen too much of what alcohol can do to a family and friends. The more readly available the more some folks will drink. I've had friends that would go somewhere like hooters, applebees or such and order an apitizer only (if they ordered any food at all)and drink several drinks, so much at times that someone would have to come and get them because they couldn't drive.

If alcohol by the drink is served then they should be made to order their food before ordering a drink. If the idea is to enjoy a drink with their meal I can't see why this would upset anyone.

What of the people who would ordinarly go home and have a beer after work, a lot of these will stop at these places and have several.

I don't miss Red Lobster, Longhorns or such, if I want to eat there (which I do from time to time) I will go where there is one. I can leave here and get a meal at one of these places now and then easier that I can go some where else and get peace and dodge traffic.

I admit I think Blairsville-Union County has out grown its self and is becomming uglyer as each month goes by.

I don't just blame the folks that moved in here, I also blame the greed of those who brought them here. Why does everything have to be tied to how much money will it put in MY pocket. I could not forgive myself if I sold someone the drink that got them or someone else killed in a drunk driver wreck.

Lamar is probably doing the right thing for Lamar, now all he has to say is "It was voted in or It was voted out" and maybe the squeaky wheels will be quitened

Not trying to make anyone mad but It makes me sad to see what is called the "end of the road", I can remember when this was given to the local boy scouts for a camp ground. Still don't know how this happened??

Just my thoughts.

why

Edited by - why on 03/18/2006 10:34:46 AMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Why, Your post said it well. And I agree 100% with all you said.

As for the "End of the Pavement" well, it's an eyesore much like some of the eyesores others talk about in the middle of town.

Evidentally, them boyscouts must of had a Dad who turned it into something else, and not for the right reasons.

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy