New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  11:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Have you ever thought that a "Vote No" sign is just someone's testimony on HOW they will vote. Kind of like if you had Vote for Mickey Mouse but Donald Duck was running too. It's still a matter of choice regardless of a YES sign or a NO sign! There is either a Yea or a Nae on any vote. No wasted dollars in our church. The only waste has been the adults who have stole them! That speaks within itself. Those stealing them are just that....Over the age of 21! A few have been caught in the act. And, some have even put their children to doing it while the parents have been sitting in the car. Right in the church parking lot! So dont tell me ADULTS don't steal signs. How low can a person go to putting their child up to taking signs? I guess they will be the parent who serves their children a beer along with their meal....You know..."Here honey...no one is looking....take you a sip!" Those kinds...of adults!

Yes, Our church VOTED on the money issue. No money was collected for this. It was already in the building fund. The majority ruled, All in favor. Not one voted No in the Conference for this. So it was a CHOICE, DID YOU READ THAT WORD? CHOICE! Yep! We, Baptists, have choices! Hmmmm...
We can even make our own decisions! How 'bout that?!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  12:39:36 AM  Show Profile
You go far, Native, in saying the people stealing your signs have also abandoned dogs at your place. Did you have a hidden camera?

I don't know why anyone would need to exchange a dog for a sign. Abandoning dogs and letting them starve has been a favorite sport in the mountains for ages.

And yes, it is petty of anyone to steal a sign, much less ask their child to do it, but you are taking a giant leap to conclude that parent would give their child a drink.

Keep your balance . . . It's highly likely that some of the vote "YES" signs have been stolen too.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

justamom

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile
I think the aprox $48,000 or more dollars spent by area churches would have been better spent on awareness programs for our youth or for teen pregnancy prevention. Those problems are here now and won't be going away after July 18th. These signs and mailings will be in the trash. I think they missed an opportunity to spend everyones money more like Jesus would have. Now all we have left is a clean up effort.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  08:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Justamom, you make sence! Yes, I agree.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Honoria, This not being a religious topic I won't get too far into this but it would seem that you are not of any of the religious groups you mention. Could it be that your disagreement with their actions stems from that. By the way, how many people have been killed by a driver who had too much coffee?? And thanks for all the pretty colors.

Yes, we should have freedom of choice, given this freedom I would have voted no to any proposition that would have put this on the ballot. We weren't asked if we wanted this vote it was as you say "stuffed down out throat".

I feel that there has been too much emphasis placed on who is against and for this issue and not enough on why we are for or against.

About stealing signs(both for and against), if it is being done because some one has opposit views then it to me is worse than it would be if it was just some kids playing around. Although both are wrong, one is done in malice and the other is a prank.

As in most things today, those most adamantly for the sales are those who in some way stand to profit from them. I hope some day when this area is totally changed that those who had a part in changing it will look back and think (to paraphase) "God what have we wrought".

There has been too much money spent by both sides, some of it never seeing the light of day. Just think of how much would have been saved if this had never been put on the ballot.

I think I will go ahead and vote today and get it over with, this is the only issue on the ballot for me as I can't find any canidates running that are worth voting for on the state level.

To those who are for the sales because they enjoy a drink with their meals I find no fault with you, to those who are/have pushed for this with a profit motive, you have to live with yourself.

whyGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:05:55 AM  Show Profile
I agree too, justamom. Yes, Wildflower the "yes" signs are being stolen.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:19:10 AM  Show Profile
I have seen some of the yes signs disappearing. As for giving an underage child a drink, that is very wrong. My mother allowed me to smoke underage, and I feel that is very wrong too. Smoking kills.
As for voting, I am going to, but i bet most of you will guess wrong as to how I am going to vote!

Go to Top of Page

donp

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:21:41 AM  Show Profile
I forget, the framers of the Constitution worded it "freedom of religon" or was it "freedom FROM religion".

The churches stand to lose a lot of political power on this vote, if it passes, they are busted big time. Their rule over county politics will be broken and the county can move into the modern world. If it doesn't happen this time, it will the next time.

This issue is all about the organized churches opposing the will of the unorganized majority, and it only works so long. The demographics of this county is changing, the world is changing...
get over it church people. Trying to set the moral tone of a community that has passed you by is a waste of time, money and effort, although it sure seems you have lots of money to spend.

It was an accident that the very last second filing of the contibutors to the "concerned citizens" group was composed of mainly Baptist Churches, right? Hypocrisy? It didn't say "concerned churches" group and the contributors names were withheld for a reason until the very last minute - it seems Baptist's behavior is much the same as many of the politicians we detest.

donpGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Are you voting for alcohol sales or against churches??

As for the churches running politics around here, you must be new, the churches evidently haven't been able to control the politicans for the last 50 years if I have seen things correctly.

Seems many have gone after the churches because they are the most visiable and easy to stab at.

By the way, the modern world is south on 515 and is free to be enjoyed, have all the fun you can stand.

why

Edited by - why on 07/14/2006 09:33:23 AMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Hyprcrites?? Not my very good baptist friend who drinks several beers every night?? Not my friend, who goes to the church every day or night there is a service, but has to knock off work at 4 pm. because it is "beer time"?? You think he is a hyprocrite?

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
JustaMom, Our church gave a huge donation to the new Pregnancy Crisis Center. Matter of fact, that was voted on the same night, the signs were. So we took part in that also.

Wildflower, You might be surprised what I have! But let's just say this....We know who they were. We know what they done. And basically, they were caught with they're pants down as the saying goes! So you could say, Uh huh I pretty much went that far! As for the others in the parking lot of the church, well, they didnt look to see who was in the basement at the time. They were caught also.

As for hypocrits? Well, we all have been one. Bunch of Pharissees more so!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  09:55:27 AM  Show Profile
Everyone seems to have their own way of defining a hypercrit, REGARDLESS WHAT IT REALLY MEANS.. I am a hypercrit. I cant make up my mind which is worse, the fact that a man excepts Christ and takes a drink when he would like.. I beleive the excepting Christ and taking time for Christ is worth something more than a label!

Sir Winston Churchill

and I was being sarcastic.. on making up my mind which was worse.. Id rather know that someone is drawn to church who has a beer whenever rather than one who wont except God at all.

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 07/14/2006 09:58:35 AMGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  10:56:07 AM  Show Profile
"As in most things today, those most adamantly for the sales are those who in some way stand to profit from them. I hope some day when this area is totally changed that those who had a part in changing it will look back and think (to paraphase) "God what have we wrought"."

Why,

For the life of me, this is the part I don't understand at all. There is nothing in this vote that is going to change the character of Blairsville.

As I asked once before . . . Do you think we are living in hell over here in Towns County?????

This is a quiet town with very low crime AND alcohol by the drink and in the stores. Where are all the problems?

Or do you think people in Towns can control themselves better?

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  11:46:22 AM  Show Profile
When I was in high school we thought Towns County was Hell warmed over. I go to Towns County off and on, no more than I have to. Your mountains are just a little uglier than ours with all the houses on them. What you'all and us for that matter need is not alcohol control but realtor control (maybe better yet developer control). You have to realize that I would be against hamburger sales if I thought they would bring in more people. By the way, the folks thought it was the end of life as we know it when Towns voted in beer sales. For some it may have been. WF, were you living in Towns County before alcohol was legal? The Towns County you see now is far from what was there before. Did the growth come because of alcohol? I really wish I knew. There must be some reason that the Hiawassee area grew faster than the Blairsville area (thank goodness).

I understand that people go over there from Blairsville to eat because of alcohol and I have no problem with them doing so as that is their right. I go over and eat at some of the restaurants in the area because of the food, the alcohol doesn't matter. Yes if that makes me a hypercrit then so be it. I won't stop going in to the restaurants in B'ville that start serving alcohol if they don't let it get out of hand. If I see more people at the bar than at the tables then I'll leave and not come back. My grill makes as good a steak as does most restaurants.

Are we opening the door for package sales or liquor stores??

If adding alcohol sales brings in 5 new people it will be 6 too many. Understand that from what I've heard from those who have moved in or are thinking of moving in that post on the forum, I think I could be and possibly are friends with most. But the overall change in these mountains isn't for the better of the mountains. Wheither I live here the rest of my life or if some oppertunity allows me to move to somewhere where growth hasn't taken over and probably won't for awhile, I still want the best for the mountains.

I hate that this has gotten away from a yes or no on alcohol sales and became more personal to many. Me included.

WF, may be we can sit down someday and NOT have a drink together and look back on this and laugh.

By the way, the Baptist who drinks a few beers in the evening is a hypercrit if his church teaches that it is wrong. Same with dancing Baptists I guess, anybody ever go to a concert at Truitt-McConnell College? I am a baptised Baptist in a Methodist Church. I grew up in the Methodist Church but later attended a Baptist Church in another state and that is where I was Baptised. I was never a member of any church before that. I started going to the Methodist Church when I moved back here because it was the family church and have been there ever since. I don't think there is a nickels worth of difference in either.

Before some else says it I know you can't stop progress but you sure can plant some land mines in its path. I don't know if I should say it that way or not, home land security may check me out.

why

Edited by - why on 07/14/2006 11:49:03 AM

Edited by - why on 07/14/2006 12:07:27 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile
It is spelled hypocrite and yes, he is one. He drinks a lot and attends a church that frowns on that. I am voting no and it is because I prefer to brown bag it and I do not want any chain restaurants to move in union county.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile
"By the way, the folks thought it was the end of life as we know it when Towns voted in beer sales. For some it may have been. WF, were you living in Towns County before alcohol was legal? The Towns County you see now is far from what was there before. Did the growth come because of alcohol? I really wish I knew. There must be some reason that the Hiawassee area grew faster than the Blairsville area (thank goodness)."

Why, I don't think Towns is ugly. Ramey Mountain doesn't bother me because it's more like a very high hill, than a mountain.

Our new commissioner, Bill Kendall, is knocking heads together in a big way to protect the mountains. Lots of fireworks around here lately between him and the developers, but that's why he was elected.

I had a choice to move to Blairsville. I chose Towns for lots of reasons.

Do you really think it was the end of the world when Towns got alcohol sales? I'm sure that vote passed because there were already so many newcomers here that frankly, thought the anti-alcohol law was stupid.

Also, I don't think people come here from Blairsville just to drink because they can already brownbag there. I think it's because the restaurants are better in Towns. And why are they better????

Also, is Towns really bigger than Blairsville? It seems smaller to me, but with more amenities and less fanaticism.

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  3:45:38 PM  Show Profile
Both of my "YES" signs were stolen last night. Seems the discussion regarding the stealing of signs goes both ways.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  3:50:00 PM  Show Profile
Well the only signs we have are yard sale signs. I guess nobody wanted those. LOL We didnt put a sign up but you can bet your sweet behind that we will be at the polls on Tuesday morning. Being in the city limits we get to vote 2 times. None of us are drinkers but I bet we all vote yes. That's my vote and I'm sticking to it.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  4:42:30 PM  Show Profile
I think that hypocrit, hipacrit, hippercrit all amounts to what people can find wrong in another.. and is what it seems like to me. Everyone has their own way of tellin what one is.. its no more than a word to me that means, this life is full of stuff and ya just never say never.

As for signs... the ones being stolen are probably paying someone back for stealing theirs or laughing about them being stolen...

I am glad we didnt put any signs up.. I cant complain that anyone stole ours.lol sorry yuns that had um stolen.. I really truly am.. people also take real estate signs.. and if a neighborhood dont like a subdivision, them signs get tore down or stuff like this all the time...

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  5:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Casey, I've got some with me. Email me & we'll meet up.
My oldest wanted to put a sign up in front of a "no" sign. I told her that wasn't a nice thing to do. Well today, she saw a "no" sign that had been placed infront of the "yes" sign. I just told her you never know how or why people do the things they do.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile
PCM, if you don't drink, why are you voting yes?? I know you live in the city limits, but why do you get to vote twice, once on the city limits and once for liquor in the county?

Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  7:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Why shouldnt I vote yes. More revenue for the county. Just because I dont drink doesnt mean I should vote no. That would be weird. I'm not against drinking and I do have one every blue moon or so. I am not a teetotaler. Many of my friends drink too and I dont like the fact of them having to drive so far away to get it risking a DUI if they open it before they get home. There are many many reasons to vote yes. And Yes is my vote.

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  8:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey, why, I was raised a Lutheran, had a sip of wine at the dinner table on Sundays from the age of 13 and was given a small glass of wine at Sunday dinner at the age of 16. I never got drunk from it and alcohol was no "big deal" as it appears to be to those who were not introduced to it at an early age. Neither of my parents (they're still alive & in their early 80's) have ever gotten drunk, either.
At the ripe old age of 28, I was divorced and moved South. I joined the Assemblies of God and was active and NONdrinking for over 17 years.
Then after my kids were grown, I went back to my "roots" and started studying Christianity's origins and followed the catholic church to the Catholic Church.
I teasingly say I'm trying to catch up for those 17 years I didn't drink, but it's not true. I could never make up for those years. And they were not "bad" in any way. Just not as complete as now.
And since this is a discussion about DRINKING and not about Religion, I drink when I want and don't when I want. I can take it or leave it. I just strongly feel that for everyone to have a level playing field, we all should have the opportunity to say "NO" or to say "what's on tap?"
When you go to Outback or Applebees or Red Lobster or O'Charley's and the waitperson says "what would you like to drink" you do realize she/he is NOT just asking about "sweet tea" don't you?
Don't you think it's a bigger witness to go to a restaurant where alcohol is offered and NOT drink than it is to go to a restaurant where drinking is not allowed and not drink? And don't you think there are people in Union County who want the opportunity NOT to drink?

Food (or drink) for thought?
Honoria

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)Go to Top of Page

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  9:45:32 PM  Show Profile
The last few posts have sickened me, literally, especially how people water down religion and make their own rules according to what they WANT to hear or believe. Ever heard the story in the bible about the wheat and the tares? They both look the same, but once you look on the inside, wheat have "fruit"...Tares is empty, lifeless.

And you are now the judge of the wheat and the tares? Or are you just the judge of which religion is the "one true" religion? Islam has already taken that option away from all other religions. I'll bet you my yard full of blue signs (I have 3 1/2 acres) that I can show you a group of hard working volunteers in this County who also happen to drink on occasion, if they want. Some don't because they are on medications for their age-group, but they 'may' if they want. And they spend many hours a month volunteering to help many agencies like The Senior Center Meals on Wheels, The Woman's Enrichment Center (Crisis Pregnancy), S.A.F.E. and NDO.

And you show me a non-drinking group of people from a non-drinking Church who volunteer hours and hours of their time for the less fortunate in this County. And if you can't locate them by Monday eveing, then you buy a yard full of red signs and put them in your yard.

And Native Lady, it isn't "watered" (or "wined") down religion. It's what's in the Bible. No one 'changed' the Bible for over 1500 years. And then, the "enlightenment" age erupted in France at the same time King Henry VIII blamed his wife (again) for not producing a male heir (not knowing that it was HE who had the inability to produce males) and when the Church (there was only one Christian Church then) refused him another annulment, he set himself up as the highest authority in the Church in the Country of England and thus (a bit simplistically) we have the Anglican/Episcopal Church. And a monk who couldn't control his sexual desires decided the Christian Church wasn't doing its job correctly (which it wasn't, but there were already protocols for him to follow, which he refused to do) and he was going to publicize it. (Did you know that Luther actually wrote that one wife could not satisfy a man and that having another woman or two outside of the marriage was okay? I mean he didn't consider it a "sin" at all.) The German Princes saw a way to save money by backing this new religion because they were being taxed a tithe by the Church and they didn't have to do so if they separated from the Christian Church and joined Luther's Church. Did you know that Luther hated the Epistle of James -- I mean he loathed it because it says "Faith without Works is Dead" and he worked as hard to get it expunged from the Bible as he did with the other originally agreed upon books. Yes, the "real" Bible is not the one translated for King James. It's the one in Latin from as many of the original texts as was available at the time. (English Translation at http://www.drbo.org)

But we're not discussing religion or Christianity, are we? Or are we? Can you actually separate "wine" from "Christianity" in the context of Union County Georgia and the Vote on the 18th?

Can anyone discuss the issue of the vote regarding purchasing alcohol by the drink at restaurants willing to fork over $15,000 to the County without including religion or Christianity in their response?

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  9:49:19 PM  Show Profile
Well I just hope that all you people who argue your point of view so religously actually get out there and vote. One way or the other. Every vote counts.

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy