New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  09:28:40 AM  Show Profile
I made the error & typed it wrong. It's fixed.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  09:48:56 AM  Show Profile
You had me confused there, Maddy. But, I still see it the way I said.

My hairdresser lives in Blairsville, and I was witness to a slightly heated exchange between her and some other ladies from Blairsville . . . she was pissed off at the school's policy on absences. She had a death in her family that she had to take her family out-of-town for, and the school made her life miserable.

She looked at me and said . . . "I just don't appreciate being dictated to. It doesn't sit well with me."

So, I'm just calling it like I see it.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  10:33:10 AM  Show Profile
Ome, yall....

What I meant is that the cops will be doing their duty and by setting an example is, THEY WILL BE DOING THEIR JOBS.. DEAR LORD...

As for the school... Tommy has been great with a particular issue we had.. now I can see tho where your friend is coming from Flower.. Ive seen it myself but not over absenteeism.. off topic again but.. yep.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  10:50:31 AM  Show Profile
Well, DoC,

I might add, my hairdresser who was complaining about the school, has lived in Blairsville all her life. I don't remember all the details, but she explained it to me and everyone else at the time. And YES, the school was being ridiculous in her situation.

And she certainly seems like a competent mother with a very nice family.

As far as the cops, IF they are going to sit around and wait near restaurants just because the law changes, in hopes of finding someone to make an example of . . . I don't respect that attitude.

It sounds like people on here are saying that they probably will do that.

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage
Hey Guys!

Haven't been on here in a year, good to see this place is still up and running!

I just wanted to weigh in on this one! I was excited to see that B-ville was finally considering alcohol by the drink. Finally, a step in the right direction. I went up to spend some time with my mother last weekend and was shocked at all of the negative signage posted all over the place...it was like being transported back in time to the era of prohibition. I told mom to make sure and vote yes! I wish the community would put as much effort into eradicating Meth as they are putting into their anti alcohol effort.

Some people grin and bear it - Others smile and change itGo to Top of Page

choestoe1

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  4:48:32 PM  Show Profile
It seems the “Citizens for an Alcohol Free Community” is really “Churches for an Alcohol Free Community.”

In the latest Campaign Contribution Disclosure Report, required to be filed by the State, 13 of the 14 contributors to the Campaign to ban alcohol in the county are churches – 12 of the Baptist denomination and one of the Methodist denomination. (And a member of that Methodist church has told me that the congregation was unaware of this contribution).

First Baptist Church of Blairsville tops the list with its $15,000 contribution, followed by Harmony Grove Baptist Church and Liberty Baptist Church with $10,000 contributions each.

Other church organizations listed are Notla River Baptist Association, $5,000; Antioch Baptist Church, 2,000; First United Methodist Church, $1,610; Ivy Log Baptist Church, $1,000; Pine Top Baptist Church, $1,000; Zebulon Baptist Church, $730; Ebenezer Baptist Church, $500; Zion Hill Baptist Church $500; Faith Baptist Church, $150; and Mt. Zion Baptist Church $114.25.

I would like to know how many of these church organizations have made as substantial contributions to organizations that provide meaningful help to the truly needy in our community. (Habitat for Humanity, food banks, etc…) It seems to me that this is an awful large amount of money being spent on trying to impose the will of a few on all of the people in our community.

Only one individual made a contribution (of $100) to this nearly $48,000 fund. This doesn’t look like a huge “citizen” movement.

The report, which was due June 30th but was filed on July 10th, the last day of the grace period allowed by the State, shows that nearly $48,000 has been contributed by the churches with expenditures of more than $20,000 leaving a balance of more than $27,000 in the campaign. I wonder what will happen with the remainder of these monies?

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Check ya mail.... Got a big ole post card to say no with Stan Gunter endorsing it.. Martini on the front Maddy.lol But I already discussed that with you. I couldnt help but kindly laugh at it and then the 10% thing....

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  6:41:19 PM  Show Profile
It is a shame that all that money did not go for a worthy cause. No sign is going to make me change my mind! Look at today's full page ad in the paper. That would have fed a lot of hungry people!!

Go to Top of Page

Hotdawg

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  9:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hotdawg's Homepage
if the alcohol by drink doesnt pass maybe those churches would like to step in and pay the monies that union county would lose on the taxes it would generate if it does pass just my 2 cents worthGo to Top of Page
Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  10:27:31 PM  Show Profile
People can do what they like with their money, but all I could think while reading about the disclosure was . . . "What a waste."

Not only a waste of resources that could have helped people, but also an utter waste of time, since you can't prevent other people from drinking. Even putting the money into helping alcoholics would have been more constructive.

Where you invest your money, is where your heart and passion will be. That's a lot of money for a small town. Are these churches this "on fire" when it comes to helping people?

I also wonder how many church families sacrificed money they needed in their own households for this "worthy cause."

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  11:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Wildflower, I noticed that the church my family have been attending has a sign now.. a blue one and thats fine with me.. they sure havent preassured anyone and our sermons have been of verses that reflect on how to be more be brothern to your neighbor and true to God. Not alcohol or Voting.. now I could go tomorrow nite and that be the sermon but as for now.. I aint witnessed myself this on fire against the alcohol.. then again, the day they start preaching for people to consume, Im gonna wonder too.lol!

As for what churches spend their money on, again it says PAID FOR BY THE CITIZENS OF UNION COUNTY AGAINST ALCOHOL.. not churches. You that are blaming the churches, I will surely pray for you because it is NOT just the churches! Its not just the Christians.. and to know this, I guess you would indeed have to have lived here more than part of your life. Lotsa politicians are against it as well.. and have been ever sence I can remember and they have their reasons and I cant say they are bad or biased... maybe nutral to what we deem right by voting yes...

Me and hunny discussed signs tonite.. and we arent gonna put up a blue sign.. and we arent gonna put up a red sign.. or grey sign... Intimidation for one is no better than the other is the conclusion we came to meet together on. Not to hurt ANYONES feelings or wimp on anything.. My vote is yes.. he aint even gonna vote. Ill be honest.. he said he didnt care which way it goes..

Just think blaming churches is a lil dramatic when you really should look further in.. and the politician endorsing Union Countys Citizens is clearly defined.. I like you Flower. I like all yuns but this one thing, although we feel some ways about our votes.. I disagree with the approaching this as a singular particular community against this. I know better!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  11:40:52 PM  Show Profile
As for how our church helps.. we do the giving out of grocerys next to cvs once a month and always keep the pantry stocked for the needy familys and trust me, there are needy familys in need... we have a clothing bank in our church.. a library in our church.. yes donations are taking in as well.. but this aint something church boast on.. but are there for the community and the people in need. I guess when you arent in need or have to much pride, ya dont know these churches do these things.. I dont know of any tho that do not do for the people in need.. I do know that Gods blessed these churches in order to be able to do these things and provide for the needing community.. more effort is put forth in taking care of each other than you would imagine.. there are ministries within churches also that helps out..

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  11:57:24 PM  Show Profile
You saw some red signs?! I did too! I don't blame you Doc for not putting out any signs. No need to. I almost don't want to vote yes because of Wal-mart. It's just doing them & the sprawl more help in the future.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:00:41 AM  Show Profile

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:07:16 AM  Show Profile
As for the "citizens of union county", the state is showing that it was the churches who forked over the money. The organization did it.
It breaks my heart to even think that they can raise that kind of money for a vote, but the C.A.S.A., S.A.F.E., Animal shelter, Child Advocacy center still goes without the bucks to help these women, children, animals, etc.

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  12:13:29 AM  Show Profile
They are also showing commercials about Cathy Cox too on tv.. no one wants to own up to much when it comes down to it I dont think, its the finger pointing that makes me hate politics but I do try to keep up with them to know what rules are in place for me and my family and what they expect of us even tho its harder to know just what is tolerated or expected... as rules.. setting examples can be tricky I guess!

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  07:48:43 AM  Show Profile
You know I'm surprised that someone would think that the police have nothing better to do than go sit around trying to "get" someone leaving a restaurant after having a drink. I know all these guys pretty well and you have for the most part the best bunch I've seen in a long time.
Native I'm sorry that you took it to be harassment when your son got stopped, but the fact is we are experiencing thefts, burglaries and vandalism like crazy. Ask anyone in the building industry. I'm happy to hear the deputy checked out the activity. No harm was done, but if mischief had been underway it would have been addressed.
Beside, if an obvious drunk leaves a restaurant some one with a cell phone is gonna call it in. Any of you with a scanner can verify this.
If someone even weaves answering a cell phone or scolding a child, we get a call that a drunk/reckless driver is on the road. 99% of those calls are baseless, but we check each one of them out.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  09:46:32 AM  Show Profile
DoC,

Like everyone else who commented on this, we are basing our remarks on the report that Choestoe1 brought to our attention.

If that report is accurate . . . well there is nothing to deny . . . it's clearly a church thing as far as raising money goes.

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  09:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Yes it is a shame that all that money is wasted on signs and huge advertisements instead of people and animals. There is a vote yes sign right in front of my subdivision.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  09:57:35 AM  Show Profile
Mac, I know y'all are doing your jobs and very well too. I have made plenty of calls into 911 for people swerving & "appearing drunk", but they've never been here that I've seen it happen.
Cathy Cox signs? You've lost me.

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:04:42 AM  Show Profile
The CHURCH is not a building, it is the PEOPLE there in. Who do you think provide the money for the churchs to donate???

I can't believe that the one going to the Methodist church didn't know that money was being donated to the movement as I am a member there and I knew. I am sure surprised at the small amount, guess the Baptist out done us.

Our police officers and deputies deserve more credit than some of the statements above would give them although I believe they will have to spend more time in the vicinity of the places that serve alcohol.

I believe I saw on the news the other night that Walker or Whitfield County (I can't remember which) was considering a vote on hard liquor but the commissionors decided not to add to the ballot. I didn't catch all of it so I'm not sure of the details.
why

Edited by - why on 07/12/2006 10:12:55 AMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile
But why waste the money on signs and ads? It will not change anyone's mind about how to vote! Spend your money on something or someone more deserving. I think our police do a great job!!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile
" The CHURCH is not a building, it is the PEOPLE there in. Who do you think provide the money for the churchs to donate???"

Don't understand what you're saying, Why. No one said the church is a building. ?????

"I can't believe that the one going to the Methodist church didn't know that money was being donated to the movement as I am a member there and I knew. I am sure surprised at the small amount, guess the Baptist out done us."

No surprise there at all. The majority of Methodists are absolutely NOT against drinking. If that issue is important to you, boy are you in the wrong denomination.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Wildflower, you may not be aware of this, but the previous minister there was more like a baptist minister (nothing wrong with that), & he preached damnation on anyone who touched the stuff. (i was there, & heard it) There's a group of people in the church (pretty big group) who even have a wine club, which I think is great!!!
We brown bag occasionally & we've never seen a police car outside any of these establishments. They've got better things & more important issues to deal with in this county.

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:19:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm saying it was the people of the Church that provided the moneys to pay out in the first place. If is not being spent as the PEOPLE see fit then the PEOPLE should change the policy. Are the vote yes people talking about the people of the church or the institution of the church??

If the church I attend wasn't against the alcohol sales, then yes I think I should change churches. I wish it were proper to have a show of hands in church and act accordingly.

I think you will find that althought many other church's money may not show up on the “Citizens for an Alcohol Free Community” list but you will find their money in other places.

I just brought this up because so many dewell on the church aspect of this question. I have said before it is not a religious problem to me it is an individual and personal moral issue.

why

Edited by - why on 07/12/2006 11:22:33 AMGo to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy