New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  10:31:11 AM  Show Profile
I moved here 22 years ago, and I was told it would be coming here soon. I am still waiting! [Automated by GetSmile]

Go to Top of Page

reneeatl5

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  2:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, may be close, but I'd expect it to get voted down by the natives.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  2:39:25 PM  Show Profile
There is something WRONG with analysis and study of facts???

Whoa.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  2:41:48 PM  Show Profile
What do you use to decide? Emotions?

"Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves."
- Carl Sagan

Jeepbuddy

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  4:17:44 PM  Show Profile
I have no idea if the voters will approve liquor by the drink but I, for one, will vote for it. It's not so much the eating out issue for me but one of personal freedom and economics. IF I want to go out to eat and have a drink, I want to do so in my local community. Second, we just had a tax increase this year. I do not think my taxes would have gone up if this county reaped the sales tax from increased sales from quality restaurants. I try to spend as much of my money as I can in Union county because I think it's the right thing to do.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." FDRGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  4:19:57 PM  Show Profile
I certainly think that cigarettes kill more people than alcohol. We do not vote against a person's right to buy cigarettes.

Go to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  11:50:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:

We each have agreed to disagree except for a chosen few, who want to analyze and pick it apart into a diplomatical thesis of some sort, and then break it down to percentages and figures of this or that, when it all comes down to not having to STUDY a durn figure to know what a person wants. Either a Yes or a No. This isn't a Presidential election, it's a vote on whether to serve alcohol or not.

Gooooood call. Who needs logic? Why make a case for a particular side when we can just vote by spontaneous impulses! I mean really, there's NO real consequences from this vote, is there? Hey everyone, vote with your hearts, NOT with your minds!

Edited by - Chris on 06/18/2006 11:52:33 PMGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  11:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Prohibition, now there's a good thought. To those interested in bringing money into the county, moonshining is a good cash business that many here have past experence with. This from an old tripper.

WF & Chris, your reasoning is sound, and well presented. Will it change my mind, no, as I have stated before most of my opposition to alcohol by the drink is personal.

I just hate to see such a decession made on the basis of money. Too long money has been the reason behind so many things that I dislike about the changes to the mountains. Yes, you can get some very good food around Hiawassee, but you have to look at all the houses on the tops and sides of the mountains around there while you are eating it. Did the people bring the alcohol sales or did the alcohol bring the people? Does it matter which came first?

I'm afraid that all the changes to the mountains have left me with bad feelings about change. I moved back here over twenty years ago, after traveling with my work for many years, because I wanted my children to grow up in the same atmosphere as I did and attend school here. Would I do the same today? I don't know if I would or not. There is very little to remind me of the Blairsville I grew up in. The growth has not made this area better in my eyes, I could experence the everyday rush through traffic, ignore everyone else to get where and what you want life in any large city. If I wanted the things that growth brings I would move to where they were at. (I know you are not susposed to end a sentence with at, my teachers would have told me to look behind the at to see where they were.)

By the way, down town Blue Ridge is usless unless you are a tourist. Murphy, well its Murphy. I would not allow my kids to go to Helen because of the alcohol issue and have not been myself in a number of years. I do not frequent any of the tourist towns, here or in other states, I think that making our area in to such would ruin it for those who enjoy this area for what it was. (Its that money thing again)

Sorry I got off subject. I still beleive that there will be people who would not brown bag or keep alcohol at home that will drink if given the opertunity at restaurants, can I state facts, no, just my feelings from experience with others. Some times logic is not near as powerful as those feelings you speak of as if they were trival. I would hate to live in a world without emotions, logic although necessary will never replace inner feelings. Logically I could cheat my friends and stand a very good chance of getting away with it, emotionaly I could not live with myself if I did. Logically, I could make a lot of money selling alcohol, emotionaly, I have a hard time convinceing mysely that it's o.k. to do something like sell alcohol just to make money.

I still think the ordinance should require you to order food before being served a drink, if those who support it are true in their feelings they would agree to this also.

why

Edited by - why on 06/19/2006 11:22:04 AMGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  11:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Why, my kids and I enjoy the park in downtown Blue Ridge, it appeals to kids and its nice. I dont think its a bit useless. My kids also like the train there. Its personal preferences I guess. Im sure even after my kids are grown.. they will recall memories of downtown Blue Ridge too.. nah, not useless..

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

donp

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  11:54:34 AM  Show Profile
VOTE NO on alcohol - your churches know what is best for you.

I work with economic development issues with many different gov't entities - the two biggest hot buttons for small rural communities are invaribly alcohol and zoning. They are all tired of their children moving away for better economic opportunities and paying higher and higher taxes for less services but won't change a thing.

If the vote is no for both - in the long run you are screwed, plain and simple. You cannot stop change - and in this county our demographics are changing. You can oppose it or you can work with it, churches that oppose alcohol will eventually lose their base and political power and hopefully a strong economic development team can assert itself for planned growth that will benefit all residents, churchfolk or not.

donp

Edited by - donp on 06/19/2006 11:55:31 AMGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Why,

No, I'm not saying emotions are not important. We should have a balance.

I'm poking fun at the person who seems to think "logic" should be thrown out the window.

You see, God gave me a brain and I intend to use it as often as possible. Other's evidently don't feel that way.

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:38:47 PM  Show Profile
And I don't mean you, Why.

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:44:37 PM  Show Profile
donp, I can see we will not agree on this subject, if you will read back posts you will see my reasoning on alcohol. There are several places I've been to that have more bars than they have restaurants, churches, or grocery stores.

Why must everyone bring up the churches?? They are just stating their beliefs just as you are. You can't tell me that there isn't a bunch of backers on the yes side that are pumping funds into the vote. There are many who stand to benifit financially from this if it passes. What are the licenses going to cost?? Must you be bonded to receive a license?? How many restaurants are already making plans to add bars, how many have them set up now waiting for this to pass??

"I work with economic development issues with many different gov't entities - the two biggest hot buttons for small rural communities are invaribly alcohol and zoning.." Sounds like to me the old, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you". How many times have we heard that?? You have picked two of the things that I am most against.

When those who favor zoning start paying my house payments then they can say what I can do in my yard, what color my house can be and if I can cut the trees in my yard.

Inversley, If you want growth let those who want it pay for it. I feel I am entitled to a nuisance fee for having to look at the mountains and seeing houses sticking everywhere. Charge $5-10k for a water hookup, why should I pay for improvements just so somebody else can build 200 houses on fifty acres, make developers put in proper sewage and roads, limit the slope on roads, increase the lot sizes.........

donp, sorry if this sounds personal, its not, I may disagree with what you post but will stand beside you and defend your right to post it. Besides, what would a discussion be with out oposing sides.

When I moved back here and was looking for houses one of the things I specified was that there be no restrictions or covenments or home owners association involved.

Enough of my ramblings for awhile, time to let my blood pressure go down. See ya'll later

whyGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  12:57:58 PM  Show Profile
WF, I understand where you are comming from and have no problem with you. DoC, I'm speaking of actual "down town", where the main buildings are, most of the stores are just tourist traps (I'm guessing from looks as I haven't been in any stores in BR in a number of years except the jewelry store to have my watch repaired. Yes the park is nice and the "art in the park" is something they have each year that is also nice. We need to allow more space at Meeks park for the small kids and playground equipment.

I've never had a chance to ride the train although I would like too. Just don't take the time to enjoy things as I should. I'm from a train family and think the train is very much a plus to BR.

I used to shop in BR some, they had some good clothing stores but I think the tourist traps ran them out, the buildings became too valuable to use as normal stores.

Just my opinion

whyGo to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  1:15:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:

donp, I can see we will not agree on this subject, if you will read back posts you will see my reasoning on alcohol. There are several places I've been to that have more bars than they have restaurants, churches, or grocery stores.

Remember though, that this particular vote will not allow standalone bars, and only allow restaurants that make more than 60% of their profits from food serve alcohol. So at worst you'd see a mini-bar in all of these restaurants.

quote:

Inversley, If you want growth let those who want it pay for it. I feel I am entitled to a nuisance fee for having to look at the mountains and seeing houses sticking everywhere. Charge $5-10k for a water hookup, why should I pay for improvements just so somebody else can build 200 houses on fifty acres, make developers put in proper sewage and roads, limit the slope on roads, increase the lot sizes.........

Impact fees? Interesting...

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  1:47:49 PM  Show Profile
chris, if this passes you will see stand a lone bars or at least liquor and/or package stores within two years I estimate. This is like any door you open, its hard to close against a storm. Once those who profit (retail and government) from sales by the drink see the chance they will go for package and carryout service.

I hope I'm wrong and everything turns out alright if this passes, I'm just afraid of what could happen. I'm not normaly a "Chicken Little" and saying the sky is falling but this bothers me. I know when I was 16 to 17 years old we could buy beer and wine in Blue Ridge and Copperhill. I know the laws are stricter now but it still happens.

whyGo to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:

chris, if this passes you will see stand a lone bars or at least liquor and/or package stores within two years I estimate. This is like any door you open, its hard to close against a storm. Once those who profit (retail and government) from sales by the drink see the chance they will go for package and carryout service.

Possibly, but that would require yet another ordinance because this one explicitly prohibits those types of establishments. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Go to Top of Page

justwatching

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  10:29:03 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading this site now for some time and have found this particular topic to be most interesting and entertaining. I own one of the restaurants in your neighboring county and have had a beer/wine license for almost 4 years now. I thought hearing someones point of view that deals with this everyday might be somewhat appreciated. In the past 4 years I have only had to deal with 2 customers that have gotten out of hand. I have found that people who are against alcohol still visit my restaurant, they just don't order beer. I have yet to hear "I will not eat here because you serve beer or wine."

As far as the 500% mark-up: Yes, we do make profit off of the sale of beer and wine but not as much as you might think. You have to factor in the cost of the license not only to the county but to the state and the outrageous price of liquor liablilty that must be carried with such a license.

All in all I am glad to have a license and I must say there is not a day that goes by that I do not get a phone call wanting to know if we serve beer and wine.

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  01:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks JustWatching,

It's worth reminding that Towns County hasn't exactly fallen apart with the availability of alcohol in it's restaurants and grocery stores.

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  07:34:11 AM  Show Profile
I think its going to pass, because so many people I've talked with just plain resent the high pressure tactics by the small group of folks putting up billboards and trying to influence the vote. Its an issue that everyone has a say in for or against no matter, but to go to the extremes to try and influnce a vote? I'm sorry, I think its a knee jerk reaction. An I hope everyone votes based on his/her own beliefs and no bow to pressure.
You can go to the Ga. Dot's site and see that Union County has been one of the most dangerous counties in the state to motorist. So win or lose you won't change our crash/fatality picture without some strong enforcement of the laws on the books now.

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  07:53:03 AM  Show Profile
Is that right? I did not know that. That is terrible.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  08:17:49 AM  Show Profile
I still don't have my signs made up. Gotta get those out!!!
Thanks Mac, I didn't realize that about this county. It's great to hear from someone too, who is actually involved with beer & wine in their establishment. Thank you, Justwatching!

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Its a fact Maddy, I went to a conference down in Gainesville sponsored by the Governor Office of Highway Traffic Safety and the speaker asked if anyone was from Union County. I did not put my hand up, but others did it for me. An I was asked if I was more prone to die in a traffic crash in Union Co or downtown Atlanta. I said Atlanta due to volumne of crashes compared to Union....... I was wrong. Ours were at the time in the top 5% in the state.
I looked it up on the GDOT web site and its all broken down for you.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
I think this <click> is the site, but the links it lists appear to be broken. They may be having some problems right now, so will have to keep an eye on it to see when they get it working again.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  3:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Middle,

Since the links aren't working, did they say the crashes were from drugs or alcohol?

As I mentioned before, Union County's drunk driving arrests are sky high compared to Towns County (I posted the figures). Some people felt it was because Union County's police officers are more strict. That doesn't hold water to me. I can't imagine police in Towns County just sitting by and doing nothing about drunk drivers. The citizens here would demand it.

This may tie into what I posted about statistics of Dry Counties versus Wet Counties. In Kentucky, a study of drunk driving crashes proved that Dry Counties have more fatal crashes. They think it's because they are exposed to driving longer distances for alcohol.

In other words, being "dry" doesn't really work.

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy