New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  3:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
I've already stated my personal opinion and my personal beliefs of knowing, but I will vote NO based on the two, NOT based on what the flock does not what the elders say not what my Preacher says. My vote was NO from the beginning. And No, I am not being misguided, I was lead very directly to the right answer of my personal choice. I find nothing sad about that. At least I have the guts to stand for what I believe in, and not sugar coat it into what I think others WANT to hear. Someone asked me the other night who was for or against it on B'ville.com, and I said well I can tell you this much, Me (A Baptist), A Jew, and A Realist(Atheist) (at that time of posting) were voting No! LOL!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Well I am probably voting no, not for religious reasons, because I do drink. I brown bag, like Maddy says, and I would rather not pay for my drinks. I am not impressed with big restaurants coming into this area. Now, if it was a vote to allow alcohol to be sold at a liquor store, I would vote yes and save my trips to Murphy.
I have never had a drink and driven anywhere!

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  6:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Well I agree with Coosa. Not on whether I would vote either way, I'm not sure. I think I'll leave that up to you that care either way, but because I don't need more drinks in the restraunts, if I were to want one, brown bagging is way cheaper.

However if it was about selling it, I'd vote yes.

I'd however like a TGIF, Maccaroni Grill and Red Lobster, they are cheap and tasty for fun.

If I was voting on a place to have a dancing/live music place I'd vote yes, fun is just fun and I like going out dancing. Drinks or not.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  7:04:21 PM  Show Profile
We use to have a place with dancing and live music. It was a lot of tun!! You could just brown bag your own and they sold ice and set ups. I guess I just like Blairsville to stay small. I have not seen Ellijay, but hear it has changed a lot!!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  11:19:15 PM  Show Profile
You know, there's one angle to this vote that I don't hear mentioned too much. It's the issue of what is best financially for the local restaurants.

I'm not personally looking forward to chain restaurants at any time in the future, I prefer really great one-of-a-kind places. However, voting "No" prevents restaurants from making as much profit.

I know a lot of people who like to brown-bag. I can understand because you get to drink exactly what you want for less money. Many of these people are voting "No" for that reason.

But isn't this part of why Blairsville doesn't have so many good restaurants? I wondered why the Blazing Bull opened in Towns County instead of Union County, since someone mentioned they own Grinds and Glazes in Blairsville. Why did they not open it there?

Is it because they don't stand to make as much profit?

It does seem to me that those complaining of the absence of good restaurants in Blairsville are shooting themselves in the foot by voting "No".

A person considering opening a restaurant has to take profits into consideration.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Lake Runner

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  10:08:06 AM  Show Profile
I think Wildfower has a good point. Restuarants make money on drinks. If they can make more profit, better restarants will come.

Let's assume that 80 percent of the drink sales are to weekenders. (I am just pulling this out of the air. I have no real idea.) But that is now more money that is spent at a local business. So that is more money that stays in Blairsville. Sure it may not all stay here. But the more a meal costs, the bigger the tip. And that all stays. So, do you want people to spend their money in Blairsville or go elsewhere?

We can't change the wind, but we can adjust our sailsGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  10:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Lake Runner,

If I had to predict the near future in Blairsville, I would predict that between the brownbaggers who are voting "No", and the fundamentalists who think drinking is a sin, the issue will NOT pass.

People in Blairsville will continue to drive to Towns County for more choice in restaurants, while complaining about the lack of choices in Blairsville.

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
quote:
People in Blairsville will continue to drive to Towns County for more choice in restaurants, while complaining about the lack of choices in Blairsville.

You dont hear me compaining! It wouldn't affect me if there wasn't a restraunt within 50 miles. I can cook to satisfy my taste buds and for my family.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  12:20:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't drive to Hiawassee. I am perfectly happy with Monets. I think most brown baggers will vote yes, all that I have talked to, say that they will.

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  5:10:03 PM  Show Profile
We go to towns county now and then to get something "different", we also go to Blue Ridge, Gainsville, Murphy and other areas. When I lived in Atlanta and surronding areas, I would go to many places outside the area just to get something different once in a while.

If I want Longhorns I can go to Ellijay or Canton, but when I go I only have to put up with the traffic for a short time, not everytime I go to town. The same holds true with Red Lobster, Canton or Gainsville. I would not like being in Gainsville at night though. (Mikes seafood is better all around than Red Lobster any way.)

If alcohol is the factor, why do people go to Marys in Young Harris, North Georgia Rest in Hiawassee or Deer Lodge?

I've mellowed out a lot about this but will still vote against it for the same reasons I have stated before, but I will not be mad at those who vote for it.

I've always considered myself a friend of Lamars and still do although I dissagree with him on several issues. The way I figure it, Lamar can't win either way, if it passes, those against it will vote against him plus those who have other reasons not to vote for him. If it fails, those who opposed it will still vote against him for bringing it up and will those who wanted it vote for him?? May be wrong but I find this a losing proposition either way.

We don't need alcohol, we need GOOD BAR B QUE, there isn't a good bbq place in forty miles.

whyGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  6:26:26 PM  Show Profile
You are all missing my point.

I am pointing out all the complaining I've heard on this board about the lack of restaurants in Blairsville.

You have to admit, there's been a heck of a lot of it.

(It's also a bad thing for people who don't like to drive, or can't drive so far.)

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  6:41:21 PM  Show Profile
"We don't need alcohol, we need GOOD BAR B QUE, there isn't a good bbq place in forty miles."

And a nice, ice cold Bud Lite to go with it! (in a frosty mug)

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

GoldenNeedle

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  01:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit GoldenNeedle's Homepage
ShadowMan, I'd like to thank you for shedding a little light on this issue for me. I really didn't realize that very many people brown-bagged in Blairsville -- so I figured that keeping alcohol off the menus would help to keep drunks off the roads. But as you said, most people would be a lot less likely to drink too much if they're paying $6 or $7 per drink -- I know that I rarely order more than 1 or 2 when I choose to have a drink with dinner in a county that allows it. (I've never brown-bagged -- somehow, I thought it was frowned upon here! Baptist up-bringing, you know) So, if Blairsville benefits from the sale of alcohol in restaurants, and if irresponsible brown-baggers are no longer allowed, then a "yes" vote is probably a good thing. I do not mean to say that all brown-baggers get smashed and then drive home -- I imagine that most are quite responsible. But if I had to choose, serving in restaurants makes more sense than hauling around a bottle.

I still think that a liquor store would be better. Buy it, take it home, and stay off the roads. I am not a fan of brown-bagging and I have BIG problems with people that drink and drive. I've told my kids a million times that they're gonna be in BIG trouble if I have to pick them up drunk at a party....they're gonna be in BIGGER trouble if they try to drive themselves home.

And as far as better restaurants or more choices in Blairsville, I couldn't care less! I like it the way it is or otherwise wouldn't have moved here. If it changes, I'll deal with it. But to me, it's just fine as it stands.

Edited by - GoldenNeedle on 05/23/2006 01:32:27 AMGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Since city limits won't be affected by the vote, will that still allow brown bagging in the city limits? If so, Coosa...you're safe!
I do think with this vote, if it goes in the yes favor, then it's just a matter of time (probably next commish) before the sales are in the stores as in Hiawassee.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

CaseyDoodleBug

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  09:11:35 AM  Show Profile
Just to clarify, the residents of the City of Blairsville will be voting on the same issue as the county, liquor by the drink. If liquor by the drink passes, then beer and wine sales will be allowed by the drink as well. It is conceivable that the restaurants in the City will be able to serve, while the restaurants outside the City could not and vice versa, depending upon the vote.

DoodleBugGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  11:37:49 AM  Show Profile
That is the way I understand it, the city will be voting on this issue also.

Go to Top of Page

ricks

85 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  5:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Probably not the most appropriate spot for my first post after lurking here off and on for a year since I purchased a second home in Blairsville.

Anyway, since I can't vote, my opinion doesn't carry much weight. However, one notion going around here doesn't make much sense to me. That is, that if the vote was for package stores you'd vote "yes" in order not to have to drive outside the county to purchase alcohol. But, since it's just for restaurant sales, you're gonna vote "no".

If this resolution doesn't pass, and at least open the door a crack, I can't see another vote on this issue for a long, long time. Seems to me that those that want the ability to purchase in the county but are going to vote no since it's just for restaurants are in reality only hurting their only realistic opportunity to ever get package sales in the county.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile
EXACTLY!!! welcome, by the way!!!

Wu

1452 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile
I do and I don't want to post in this topic.

I'm still working out my thought's.

wu

Go to Top of Page

ricks

85 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  8:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, thank you, Mad4. Betcha I can guess where you stand on this issue.

I fell in love with this area and its people, which is why I bought what will some day be my permanent home. Hopefully sooner than later.

While I'll try to contribute to the forum more often, jumping right in on a potentially divisive thread is probably not the way to go. I've lurked here to learn more about the community. A place I now consider my home even though I can't be there as often as I wish. I just want to blend in as a good member of the Blairsville area...not stick out like a sore thumb right off the bat.

So, with that, I've diverted this thread enough for now.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  9:24:56 PM  Show Profile
I don't think you should feel that way, neither should anyone make you feel that way. I wonder what I'd be called if I put a sign in my yard saying to vote "yes" on the subject.?

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  01:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
quote:
I wonder what I'd be called if I put a sign in my yard saying to vote "yes" on the subject.?

I think you'd be called a supporter of the referendum!

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  2:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Dare you to do it Maddy!! Welcome Ricks!![Automated by GetSmile]

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
The guy who made the signs will make 'em for ya! He does good work! Know him personally. He will probably vote Yes too! LOL!

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  10:41:55 AM  Show Profile
I saw Lamar last night with friends. I told them I would probably vote no.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy