New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  09:45:06 AM  Show Profile
My husband drinks, beer, one a day, after work. I go to Blue Ridge every few weeks to buy beer and to Murphy to buy liquor. Let me assure you, we have never popped a top in our life. We never buy anything alcoholic and open it on the way home. It gets opened at home!!(after 7 pm)(no, I did not have a bloody mary yesterday at the dinner party, i don't drink in the daytime)

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Excluding you then.. sorry.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  10:33:54 AM  Show Profile
I believe it is against the law to have an open container inside the car.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  11:19:45 AM  Show Profile
Its against the law but its done.. and if the restrs. serve the alcohol, its no different from someone sitting there sippin on the brown bagged alcohol as far as that goes.. its what, a half a beer can getchya a dui... yeah I think thats the equiv... so against the law would be to drink and drive period..

Sir Winston Churchill

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 04/17/2006 11:21:00 AMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  3:30:39 PM  Show Profile
I use to like to drink those barcardi "near beers" They taste really good, and I could drink several without feeling a thing. I gave them up because of the carb issue.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  10:21:32 PM  Show Profile
Bacardi Breezers and there was a time when I would drink one before bedtime... I went straight to sleep.. I also tried the tylenol pm for the same use too.. yeah, they were TOOO easy to drink but I always drank one and then fell asleep usually.. and it was at home...

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  02:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Samantha said:

"So, Wildflower, when you have a drink you don't feel any effects from it?? You drink ONLY for the taste of it?? I seriously doubt that!!"

Samantha, I rarely drink. When I do drink, you bet I'm not going to drink something that doesn't taste good.

"But you and I know the reason people drink is for the effect it has on them, not for the taste!! Whether it be good or bad, it effects everyone in different ways. So i'd say it's a personal choice to each, but you don't need to knock someone who made a decision not to drink. It's a personal choice!! Just as Native said, it was in her heart not to drink, she didn't say that it was wrong for EVERYONE to drink. She only stated this for herself and she simply stated her views personally. GEEEES, lay off already! If this is the way you respond to people sober, I'd hate to see you carry on while drinking!! Or maybe, you are drinking while you post, who knows!"

Actually, no, I don't "know" that all people drink for the effect. Some people do, but other people like pairing wine with food to bring out the best taste of each. Personally, I don't like to drink wine without food because the right food brings out the flavor. As a matter of fact, in France, they don't sit around sipping on wine by itself. It goes with food.

As far as drinking for "effect", it's one thing to aim for a little relaxation, and another thing entirely to aim for being drunk.

I am not knocking Native for choosing not to drink and there is not one sentence in my posts to suggest that. Our whole discussion is about REASONS for voting a particular way.

If you think about it, a person voting "No" really IS saying it's wrong for everyone else. The vote is not about private behavior; it's about what ALL the citizens will be allowed to do.

So, my questions have been aimed at understanding Native's reasoning for voting to prevent OTHER PEOPLE from being able to order drinks in restaurants.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  08:48:28 AM  Show Profile
"If you think about it, a person voting "No" really IS saying it's wrong for everyone else. The vote is not about private behavior; it's about what ALL the citizens will be allowed to do."

Is it wrong for me to want to be able to enjoy a meal with out being around a bunch of people drinking???? Private behavior is just that, something private, not something you subject to those around you. I, from experence, can't believe that anyone could think that beer tastes good. Most mixed drinks that taste good would taste almost the same with out the alcohol. Wine, sherry and champagne all have the same background taste, I have been disapointed with several dishes that were touted to be so good because they were cooked in wine, sherry or etc. only to find I didn't like the taste.

I'm not voting no to deprive anyone of anything, I'm voting no because its against my personal preference. I know very few people who don't drink for the efect of the alcohol wheither for the calming and winding down at days end or the drinking to forget the day its self. If you can have one drink and be done, fine, I'm gald for you because one drink is the only excuse many people have for having another and another.

whyGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  11:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
I was once and not very long ago the co-owner of a lounge. I was not in the building more that necessary.I could hardly tolerate seeing the effects of alcohol on these poor people.The drinkers did present me with the opportunity to study the effects of drinking alcohol on interverts and extroverts.I realized a profit,which I was a little unconfortable to have, consequently I gave most of it away. Yes it is a personal choice,and my choice is based on what I have witnessed,up close and personal. William R. Jenkins

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Regardless of your personal preference on drinking or not, it's going to come down to the bottom line for Blairsville & that's MONEY. We need it in this county.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  3:15:09 PM  Show Profile
WHY must everything come down to MONEY, WHAT does this county need that the money from alcohol will bring. With every addition comes a subtraction. How many more police, emts and etc. will be required because of drinking?? What is the cost to the (I can't think of the proper name) clild welfare and family services dept.

Do you think this will lower your property taxes? Your school taxes? Your sales taxes? Don't kid yourself, any time a politician can find new revenue, they will find some pet project to spent it on.

Just my thoughts.

whyGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  4:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
In the event that alcohol sales are officially allowed.I will attempt to purchase the area directly across from the First Baptist Church.From this location I will be able to dig a tunnel to the church.This will offer all of those who are suffering from a hangover,those that want a little bracer, those who become bored by the longwinded preaching, ones who want to get away from nagging wives or wives who want to do like wise and those who just need a little taste to cure their shakes. They will be able to slip out un-noticed after laying a few 20's in the collection plate.A tunnel will allow them to keep the reputation of being god fearing members in their church since no one will see them steal away to get a quick one.The facility will open two hours before services and will close after the preacher downs his last beer.I hope no one thinks I am serious.William R. Jenkins bartender

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:04:08 PM  Show Profile
LOL! You made me laugh Jenkins.
The big chain restraunts that want in here make their money on the liquor by the drink. Same as Walmart. Their higher sales are in alcohol sales. I'm against smoking, but that doesn't make me not go into a restaurant. (well, when they had non-smoking/smoking areas)

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:07:07 PM  Show Profile
i would like a liquor store in the county am I am glad there is no more smoking in restaurants.

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
Thanks for the comment.You probably realize that on this issue I am setting on the fence.That is very unusual for me.I am normally either black or white.I believe in majority rule.I am a strong supported in rights and that includes the right to have alcohol available.I am still waiting for a question on the effects of alcohol on extroverts and introverts. William R. Jenkins

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage
Mr. Jenkins...you have me laughing about your tunnel!

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
I am very happy that you enjoyed the presenation.That was the sole intent.Humor is all around us and we don't need to be always serious. Thanks again WRJ

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  09:34:42 AM  Show Profile
I like the tunnel idea too, very clever!!!

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
I am happy that you liked it.In the most tragic of times there is always time or room for comedy. WRJ

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:25:38 PM  Show Profile
laughing is my hobby!!

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage
quote:
In the event that alcohol sales are officially allowed.I will attempt to purchase the area directly across from the First Baptist Church.From this location I will be able to dig a tunnel to the church.This will offer all of those who are suffering from a hangover,those that want a little bracer, those who become bored by the longwinded preaching, ones who want to get away from nagging wives or wives who want to do like wise and those who just need a little taste to cure their shakes. They will be able to slip out un-noticed after laying a few 20's in the collection plate.A tunnel will allow them to keep the reputation of being god fearing members in their church since no one will see them steal away to get a quick one.The facility will open two hours before services and will close after the preacher downs his last beer.I hope no one thinks I am serious.William R. Jenkins bartender

If one views it in the satirical vein presented, then it's humorous. I'm not sure the members or preacher of that fine establishment will see it that way, however.

It reminds me of the way my son will try to get his siblings in trouble by goading them, although in such a way as to do nothing wrong, to cross a line they otherwise wouldn't have crossed and getting them into trouble that way.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  2:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage
Shadowman,The post was completely written for comedy.I think,after stateing that It will be accepted as such. I hope everyone will be broadminded enough to understand that . Maybe we don't always need to present ourselves as only intellectuals.Thanks for the comments I value your opinions highly. WRJ

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  01:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Why said:

"Is it wrong for me to want to be able to enjoy a meal without being around a bunch of people drinking???? Private behavior is just that, something private, not something you subject to those around you."

Why,

How does it affect you if people are having wine with their meals?

(We're not talking about a bar here. We're talking about wine with food.)

Since they are already legally brown-bagging wine to restaurants now, has it honestly ruined your dinners in restaurants for you in some way?

What are you being subjected to?

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  11:48:48 AM  Show Profile
wildflower, yes it does bother me when I see someone bring in a bottle of what ever into a restaurant where I am eating. Does it cause me any direct harm? No, but it makes me uncomfortable at that moment, usually that passes and I forget about it.

What I'm talking about and what you say about this not being about a bar is one of the main points I am trying to make, this is about "Bars". How many places that serve beer or wine do not have a bar for people to sit/stand around either while waiting for a table or just to drink??

How many people are satisfied with having "a" glass of wine or "a" beer with their meal? To those who are able to and wish to do so, I'm sorry the rest have ruined it for you in My eyes.

As I have said before this is a personal choice and I can't think of any reason you could give me that would change my mind. This is one of the reasons I have avoided Helen for several years and would not let my children go over there with any of their friends while there were under my control. Check the police records in Helen if you want to see how many problems they have had in or as a result of the establishments that serve alcohol.

What trade off are willing to make for a little tax money?

whyGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  2:11:37 PM  Show Profile
It bothers me when I am in a restaurant with a screaming child sitting next to me. Should restaurants not let children in because it might disturb other people?

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy