New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 20 visitors.
BoeBro Ventures, Inc. and Blairsville.com does not provide legal advice or services. The information here is provided by Blairsville.com members and is not verified for truthfulness or accuracy. You should consult a legal professional regarding any legal issues.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Alcohol by the drink
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 29
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  09:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Wildflower said:
quote:
Native, you can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like you are saying you felt compelled to quit drinking because you recognized that you personally had a problem with alcohol.

LOL! Ummm...No! I can count on one hand how many times I've been intoxicated! LOLROFL! Sorry I just had to laugh at that one!

I've said all I am going to say. LOLROFL!

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  10:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Well Gray, I am sure it is worse in a big town like Miami. But when I moved here, the farmers all drove slowly and we waved at everybody. However, that is off the subject. Back to alcohol by the drink. [Automated by GetSmile]

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  11:46:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
See Doc KNOWS the real me. She does. She knows all my faults. She knows my past mistakes, she knows just about everything about me there is to know...inside and out. With kids, Hubbys, church, she knows me well. The other person on here that knows me that much would be Topaz. They understand why and where I am coming from.

And vice versa...my lips are sealed! Talk about blackmail!! *smile...just kiddin'*

I do understand Lady's stand on this. And this statement:

quote:
THere came a day that it "convicted" my soul.

...is the reason she feels the way she does.

I had this conversation with a friend yesterday. This issue (in my opinion), is like playing the lottery. There are many Christians who feel that playing the lottery is wrong. I don't. BUT, if the Lord convicted me of it...as in 'every time I went in to buy a ticket, my heart was heavy with guilt and a voice was telling me that this is wrong'...then I would stop.

Personally, I don't drink...(unless it's one of Mom or Hubby's toddy's when I'm sick), but neither do I see anything wrong with those that choose to do so in moderation. On occassion, if you were to come in and look in our fridge, you would find beer in there, cause Hubby enjoys havin' one every now and then. And yes, we are both Christians and Baptists.
Alcohol becomes a problem when it's abused and used in excess and others are suffering because of it. And sadly, this happens daily here in Union County even without the 'legal' sale of alcohol being here.

I would venture to say that 'Vote No' is being preached from the majority of most pulpits in the county. I honestly feel tho that the majority of members will follow their own hearts in casting their votes.

I don't understand the statement about drunk driving being a crutch for the Baptists. I would hope that all would take a stand against DUI regardless of their religious beliefs or denomination.

As for the theological aspect...be it Baptist or any other denomination, read 1 Corinthians Chapters 5 & 6.
I know everyone has their own interpretations of the Scriptures, and I myself believe that these verses refer to those who "drink in excess".
Definition of drunkard:
drunk·ard (drngkrd)n.
One who is habitually drunk.
(Taken from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/drunkard)

This whole issue in my opinion, has taken a nasty turn.
Those that vote, will vote. And determined by the amount of votes, this will either fail or pass.

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  12:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
quote:
I dont want to get into too much theology, but can someone please tell me the baptists view on drinking an where it comes from? Wasnt one of Jesus's miracles making wine?

http://www.brucesabin.com/alcohol.html

This link pretty well explains the beliefs and study on it Spam. And please note, that in this study it also says "some" abstained for their personal reasons. While others enjoyed because it was considered a "gift" from God. While most Baptist churches interpret the Bible differently on alchol and others just "follow" the flock, it states it plainly how most Baptist believe.

I know a few are "trying" to put words in my mouth that I didn't say but once again, My Path, My Walk, My Testimony, My Belief are my OWN footsteps with my Lord.

"Christianity is not a religion; it is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  6:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Is this a christian issue? Over 90% of christians worldwide dont have a problem with alcohol. Wine is served in the Episcopial and Catholic church as well as others. For the few here who may not realize that I thought it was worth bringing up.

Spam,

Yeah, I've brought this up - at least twice already.

I once read in a commentary on the differences between Christian denominations, that it's amazing how little Christians of any given denomination know about the beliefs of other Christian denominations.

People usually just go with what they've been brought up with.

Most people "inherit" their religion instead of choosing it.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  6:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Native,

I am not trying to put words in your mouth at all. I'm trying to clarify the meaning of your words.

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  6:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
I shared my thoughts; I shared my beliefs; I shared my testimony; I even got a good laugh; I've got the most amazing emails, ALL good ones.....Even got a phone call especially about the "alchol problem" which was a good laugh too! I've enjoyed it but I've said all I can say! Happy Easter!

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  11:34:04 PM  Show Profile
I can only go by what you write, Native.

When you wrote . . .

Many years ago, Hubby liked his beer and I liked my wine coolers. Actually I liked a good ole Vodka and Orange Juice so it would hit faster. Yeah I liked it strong too. THere came a day that it "convicted" my soul.

The words imply that you felt you had a bit of a drinking problem. But you said you didn't.

No wonder I'm confused.

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  11:56:12 PM  Show Profile
I read Native's post and I didn't get that she had a drinking problem at all. I guess it's just all in the way you interupt things. What I got out of it, is she, just like me and other young people, experiemented with drinking and "partied" from time to time. I just don't see where a drinking problem would be taken by her post!!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  12:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I didnt read it that way either.. Wildflower.. I can tell you are fully political material and like to argue and well.. I am for the same thing you are but GOOD GRIEF ENOUGH IS ENOUGH DONT YA THINK?

Now I just read it as you are picking and nit picking.. Personally I think you made some good points.. I think Lady made hers very well too..

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  12:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Another words.. I think someone needs to sip on some wine and chill. :) and Im smilin when I say that cause I aint meanin it mean.. Im meaning Lady is here to fess on her spiritual reasons and you are here for political and shes made her peace.. I dont know what politicians do to make theirs.. but maybe sippin on the juice will help.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  02:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Sigh.

No, I am not trying to start something. Native seems surprised and amused that someone could interpret her words as saying she had a problem with alcohol.

"Actually I liked a good ole Vodka and Orange Juice so it would hit faster. Yeah I liked it strong too."

Those two sentences sound like she's saying she was drinking mostly to "feel" different, rather than for the taste. No matter how many times I read them, they still sound that way.

I never said I interpreted her words as a confession that she was a full-blown alcoholic, But it DID sound like she was saying she decided to stop drinking because she was drinking for the wrong reasons, i.e. to feel the effects of alcohol.

I never said

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  07:49:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Those two sentences sound like she's saying she was drinking mostly to "feel" different, rather than for the taste.

she was drinking for the wrong reasons, i.e. to feel the effects of alcohol.

Wildflower

Why is that the wrong reason? Isn't that why people drink? To feel it's effects?

I sure do know that after a really stressful day at the office, I enjoy my glass of wine and the relaxing effect it has on me. I don't abuse it, I don't get drunk. But if enjoying the effect of that glass of wine makes me an alcoholic, sign me up!

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  08:25:09 AM  Show Profile
LOL, Nelly!!! Your so right!!

So, Wildflower, when you have a drink you don't feel any effects from it?? You drink ONLY for the taste of it?? I seriously doubt that!! If people only liked the taste, why don't they just make alcohol flavored lollipops?? Then you only get the flavor without getting the effect. Seems simple enough don't it.

But you and I know the reason people drink is for the effect it has on them, not for the taste!! Whether it be good or bad, it effects everyone in different ways. So i'd say it's a personal choice to each, but you don't need to knock someone who made a decision not to drink. It's a personal choice!! Just as Native said, it was in her heart not to drink, she didn't say that it was wrong for EVERYONE to drink. She only stated this for herself and she simply stated her views personally. GEEEES, lay off already! If this is the way you respond to people sober, I'd hate to see you carry on while drinking!! Or maybe, you are drinking while you post, who knows!

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  09:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Will you vote for or against "alcohol by the drink" on the ballot?? That is the topic! [Automated by GetSmile]

Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  09:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Coosa, I believe the topic is "Alcohol by the Drink" and it's supposed to be a forum for discussing the upcoming vote.

Confidentiality in HOW we vote is one of our rights.....and I, for one, choose to exercise that right.

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  11:38:06 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree that its within the topic for sure.. Nelly is right. The lil off opic sign is outta place..lol Hunny asked me if you are the new moderator Coosa.hehe! He also asked me when I told him long ago that yall drive that ZZ Top car if yall owned the Village back then. Now thats off topic.. ;)

I can understand why people do and dont vote yes or no. Its personal and Nelly is right.. not everyone has to know what we are voting... Alcohol by the drink by topic could go far beyond wether it should be here or not within discussion. It was left open the way I see it to travel this way or that way.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  4:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Just trying to get the bickering to stop. I don't really care how anyone votes. We discussed this at lunch and decided we want to be able to buy alcohol at a liquor store in this county and did not care if it sold by the glass or not.
Your right to vote is your right. At the church where the poll ballots were passed our, they were told how to vote and the sunday school teacher picked up the ballots. It was not confidential.
This forum asks if you are for it or against it. Obviously, it is easy to tell how each memeber is going to vote, except for me!!

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  7:00:28 PM  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile
No one knows my vote but me!!!

Go to Top of Page

Hotdawg

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  10:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hotdawg's Homepage
having been going to blairsville growing up and living there for 7 years i still think that if this vote doesnt pass union county will still be collecting the cans and bottles from the other counties that do have the right to sell alcohol bot what does my opinion mean i dont live there no more

BeCause I CanGo to Top of Page

GoldenNeedle

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  12:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit GoldenNeedle's Homepage
Mercy, this topic has caused quite a stir. I personally think that most people don't drink alcohol for the "taste"...otherwise, why would they mix it with Coke or Sprite or whatever? (wine and beer are a different story) However, that's not really the issue. I think that the vote seems to be in a reverse order. I'd rather see folks buy a bottle of something, take it home and drink it...and stay OFF the roads! Serving it in restaurants is only going to increase the DUI rates in this county...but that is my opinion! Thankfully, we're all entitled to our own!

Go to Top of Page

GoldenNeedle

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  01:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit GoldenNeedle's Homepage
Felt a bit like a hypocrite so I just also want to say that I'd love a margarita with my dinner at Monte Albans! BUT...I can live without it if it keeps one off the road that doesn't know when to stop.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  08:39:43 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree Golden Needle. I'd rather buy it in a store, take it home. But, I do believe if this vote passes, it's just a matter of time before another vote comes up to vote on stores selling it.

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  09:36:34 AM  Show Profile
I read somewheres else that some are worried that they wont be able to brown bag and its so much cheaper to brown bag.. and I understand that.

As for the DUIs and death toll here in UC for those who have driven dui... or from dui.. do yuns know that we already have that issue.. most are on the way or too the beer stores in the other counties who sell.. yep.. and they usually pop the top before they get outta the parking lots to head back to Bville too..

So thats not nothing we arent already dealing with.. and for those that brown bag.. if its a money issue.. and all that... then its not really a issue weather they sell it or not.

Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 29 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy