New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 24 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 More Debt for the county.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  3:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone read the Newspaper anymore. Even if they did they would not get the straight story. Now we are buying more bonds looks like everything is hunky dory there. Does anyone know how much those bonds cost up front? An estimate $50,000 each. It wasn't enough that our taxes went up 33% this year, what is next?

rmreed

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Huh?

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  09:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Huh?

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?

Thanks,
I get your jest GrayEagle. The powers to be are to high up to give an answer. So you're saying "don't bother to ask, even if you do ask, you will not get the correct answer.

rmreedGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  12:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you're misunderstanding Gray's response. He doesn't live here yet, so he was truly asking "Huh?". He gets the Sentinel instead of the NGN, and I don't think the Sentinel covered the bonds issue.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  6:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Shadow!

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  09:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read where the county has just "floated" a bond issue to purchase a new fire truck. Is this because they need a new one or is this a replacement? I have lived in a lot of places and have never heard of a bond issue to purchase a fire truck. Did I hear correctly that this truck will cost $1.5 million? That is totally rediculous. I checked several sites and found that good late model trucks can be purchased for less than $200,000. Does Union County need a $1.5 fire truck? How many calls do they make in a month?

I thought, from reading the paper, that the county was in great fiscal shape. The curve is starting to round on top, the residental tax base will be sending in more money. Just where is it being spent? Does Union County have a professional purchasing office or do they just "wing it". I would just like to know, Can anyone enlighten this newcomer?

Social change

Go to Top of Page

rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  10:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I read where the county has just "floated" a bond issue to purchase a new fire truck. Is this because they need a new one or is this a replacement? I have lived in a lot of places and have never heard of a bond issue to purchase a fire truck. Did I hear correctly that this truck will cost $1.5 million? That is totally rediculous. I checked several sites and found that good late model trucks can be purchased for less than $200,000. Does Union County need a $1.5 fire truck? How many calls do they make in a month?

I thought, from reading the paper, that the county was in great fiscal shape. The curve is starting to round on top, the residental tax base will be sending in more money. Just where is it being spent? Does Union County have a professional purchasing office or do they just "wing it". I would just like to know, Can anyone enlighten this newcomer?

Social change

I can't answer all your questions Social Change, but I can tell you this. The county did have a professional purchasing office that was instigated by former Commissioner Cook. This office was responsible for purchasing for the entire county as well as seeing to the bid process. However, it was abolished this year because the present commissioner thought purchasing could be done thru each individual department. The bottom line on this is, why would you leave this up to each department to buy their own, when you have a department that knows who and what and can get the best price. Also, the commissioner in his capacity and (having sole authority) feels that HE can do all the purchasing and putting bids out himself (if he puts anything out for bid)

rmreedGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  3:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As taxes continue to rise to support fiscal irrespnsibilty, some day the masses will rise up and say, the sole commissioner form of government is as archaic as hand cranked automobiles. I think this topic has been tossed around before.

The office of the President has Congress for checks and balances. The Supreme Court has a Chief Justice and Associate Justices to stabilize the ship.

The State of Georgia has a Office of the Governor and a body of lawmakers to represent every nook and cranny of this great state.

Locally, at least we have a Supt. of Schools and an elected Board of Education.

But, we have a Sole Commissioner! How back in the 1940's is that? No checks and balances. I may be wrong but I have not seen any Invitation to bid on any county equipment purchases, County work projects or whatever. Most counties have a bid process to insure the county is getting the best price on a competitive basis.

When the county outflow is more than the county inflow, what do you do? Raise taxes. There needs to be a concentrated effort to bring good, non polluting industry into this county to help with the tax base and to provide better paying jobs for the citizens. I do not need the money but a lot of people do.

Thays my soap box for today

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  3:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have not seen any Invitation to bid on any county equipment purchases, County work projects or whatever. Most counties have a bid process to insure the county is getting the best price on a competitive basis.

SC, they're published in the North Georgia News in the back around the legal ads. I can't say for certain whether they've all been published there, but I know that I do see a number of them there regularly.

Shadow

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  3:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow, thanks for your reply. I do not normally read the NGN and the times that I have I must have missed it. Thanks a lot. I tend to get "riled" up at the sole commissioner type of government. Somehow I think 5 heads working on a project are better than 1. Counties with a board of comissioners type government just seem to be more responsive to the people they represent and those counties seem to be progressing very well.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  4:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Social Change
[/quote]
You're right, we certainly need more than one commissioner in charge. However, Towns County had the chance to make a change in the last election and didn't vote it in. When the new commissioner took office, the previous commissioner had done away with all the funds, leaving about $37,000 in the treasurer, not hardly enough to make payroll. Not many people who knew the Towns County Commissioner thought he would do this. The previous Union County commissioner (Mr. Cook) when he took office found about the same situation. He only had just enough to make his county payroll (approx $30,000). However, when he left office he had much more in the general fund, approx $300,000. And more in the SPLOSH Fund. As for looking in the back of the North Georgia News, for bids, they are few and far between since the Purchasing Dept has been eliminated.

rmreedGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  5:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for looking in the back of the North Georgia News, for bids, they are few and far between since the Purchasing Dept has been eliminated.

Reed, when did that purchasing office get dissolved and purchasing powers shifted back to the departments? I've got back issues of the NGN here that I'd like to go back and look through.

Shadow

rmreed

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  6:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
]

Reed, when did that purchasing office get dissolved and purchasing powers shifted back to the departments? I've got back issues of the NGN here that I'd like to go back and look through.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha
[/quote]

Official effective date was 31 Dec 05. However, the Recreation Department had been dropped from going thru the Purchasing Department and given their own power to purchase and/or pay salaries. If you have the back issues of North Georgia News for Jan 05, you will see most bids were put out, but a gradual decline started July 05. The Purchasing Department was left out of the budget for 06.

rmreedGo to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy