New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 High school electives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  2:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a granddaughter entering high school next year. The school sent home a list of electives for her to choose from.

As we were reviewing the choices for her it became painfully apparent as to why the State of Georgia consistantly ranks dead last in school rankings in the U.S. We are pouring millions of lottery dollars into the system and it is not getting any better. Georgia's SAT scores are way behind the rest of the nation.Why is it that New Hampshire spends less than half per child than Georgia and those students outperform Georgia high school students. Are kids in the other 48 states just smarter kids?

I read an article last week that stated that 80% of the graduating seniors last year had to take remedial classes in Math, English and Writing just to get to the point that the student could do college level work. This is shameful and has a root cause. They simply are not prepared to enter college.

The electives offered are ridiclous--Why not do away with most of the electives and require advanced classes in something meaningful?

As a side bar, there are some schools in the U.S (the ones with the highest SAT scores and the highest college entrance rate)that have no electives, no band , no athletics, no non acedemic courses and attend school 12 months per year. The time is rapidly approaching that a child without an extremely high SAT and a course curriculum of high standards will not be able to attend college. We owe it to our kids to demand better schools,better ,more qualified teachers, teachers degreed in their teaching subject matter. Home schooled kids are increasing everyday and the kids with the highest SAT scores are the home schooled ones. This speaks volumes for our school systems.

Just a thought

Social Change

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
The electives offered are ridiclous--Why not do away with most of the electives and require advanced classes in something meaningful?

For some it might be ridiculous, but those electives teach our young men and women of the future, here in BLAIRSVILLE such things as mechanical, construction, welding which is VERY BENEFICIAL here in BLAIRSVILLE. My oldest son excelled in all three. Got honors in a few. And now is building the homes here in Blairsville and doing it to code! And passing inspection! He's only 20 years old. And will soon have his own crew. He is over his crew now. But not the lead man. He makes two times what I make an hour and I am still in college classes.

As for the ladies, the electives are beneficial for life, cooking, child developement, and other things that help our young women of today become and learn to be independant self sufficient in todays society.

Art, band, and other electives are beneficial to some. If it's their talent.

I believe our kids need something "elective" during the day. Instead of sitting there pushing a pen all day long. Some are college material while others won't go on. Financially, some of our students aren't able to. They have to enter the work force right after school. These electives HELP those with very good quality work skills to find dependable work.

Agriculture electives are even beneficial around here. Need to know about soil erosion in todays ground breaking! And by Jan 2007, anyone breaking ground will HAVE TO BE LICENSED! Even if you plant the seed on the ground that has already been prepared for it. You touch it then you better know whatyou are to do with it. The classes for that begin in May at the North Georgia Tech. 30% have already failed the tests that have done this all their life. Hubby will be going to take it for his first time in May.

So dont bash our school's electives. When you pull into a tire shop or you walk into a mechanic's shop, I can just about bet you that the mechanic that is touching your car took those electives in high school.

Just my thoughts!

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The written word is worth thousands. Read the reply and you will better understand what l am trying to convey. l think someone missed the point.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree Social. It's not just in Union County. I experienced this lack of electives in Clayton County. There's kids who are visiting the colleges & they are saying that they don't have enough electives to take certain courses. They aren't offered to our kids. Why can't 9th graders (who are in high school) take a foriegn language course?

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the electives?

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  4:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what Ive been told, the lottery fund goes for the special after school classes to help keep kids ahead or at least passing, for the Pre K and Head Start to be ran and also for the special programs such as Accelerated Reading/Math programs.. Ive asked that same question about what does lottery help because of the rediculous school supply list that is way beyond what we required before the lottery actually helped anything... Thats the answer I got. Its for a defin. good cause even if your child is past all the things it does help because its gonna help out in the future leaders of this place.
Now, people will not more than likely see it like that if their children are past the "fresh start". It also helps fund HOPE too doesnt it? Now that is useful for kids or and older folks who dont have the same chances as others do.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 03/10/2006 4:15:40 PMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  4:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
We are pouring millions of lottery dollars into the system and it is not getting any better.

This is a good example of misapplied priorities. School systems have been spending the money sent them on technology upgrades so that they have the latest cool gadgets, but the real emphasis ought to be instituting results-based performance mertrics for teachers so that the teachers that are getting good results are rewarded positively and the teachers that are getting multiple year bad scores are moved out of the system or moved to a grade level where they are not impacting the student negatively.

The lottery money was a good deal for students in the first couple of years, but now, like overuse of insurance, is a way to artificially inflate prices above what the market would otherwise bear.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/10/2006 4:25:27 PMGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  4:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So am I wrong Shadow about what I was told? I know who told me and if Im wrong I have a big bone to pick with them about that.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

Gaonmymind

199 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  4:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC and Shadow are right(in my opinion).
I have highschoolers, one will graduate this year and will be attending college-(thank goodness),but will have to have college courses to make up for what was not taught to him in high school. Math, english etc.. Therefore extending his college stay.
The other is bored with the classes offered, needs something more to stimulate the mind. With high chances of graduating with honors, still will they need to catch up on courses not taught at the high school in college?
The electives need to be broadend, offer more classes in different languages, not just spanish. Classes taught in construction, auto mechanics etc.. are great, just bring them up to date.
And get rid of the dis-intrested teachers. Easy A classes are of no help to our kids. There are some great teachers here, but they are put on hold as to what , when, where and how they can teach and that is not good either. Learning should be intresting and fun, if that's not happening then the kids are not learning.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No...you're right. It's being used for that. It wasn't intended for that though. That came later, after they saw how much money was coming it. It was intended to help even the playing field for Georgia high school graduates so that if someone wanted to go to college, finances would not be an obstacle in that regard.

It assumes a steady amount of income, and a steady state of students. Growth of eligible students combined with lower collections from the lottery (some due to other competing lotteries, some due to developing boredom [is why they keep announcing new lottery games - to keep the interest level up]). There is a date on the horizon where the amount of money collected will not cover the amount of money being paid out. That has been worried to be as close as 2004 (didn't happen) or 2008. State legislators are steadily arguing about the right course of action to take - cut out some of the spending programs that were expanded in the first place? Or reduce the number of students eligible for the benefits.

The principle of TANSTAAFL will be proved yet again.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/10/2006 4:53:44 PMGo to Top of Page

Gaonmymind

199 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  4:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to mention also, something on the news , a school in Atlanta will be spending 10 million dollars on lap top computers, they will be purchasing 1700 computers, sounds extreme to me. Must be some very high quality computers. will they last for several years?
I know computers are needed, but 10 MILLION dollars?

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THATS TOOO MUCH!

Towns county issues laptops. Does our school issue them too?

10 MILLION DOLLARS? How many students and is there a break in pricing for government? DEAR LORD!

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  5:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cost per computer for the laptops mentioned is over $5800. There must be other items in the To Buy list.

TybeeGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  5:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TYBEE, IS THAT EACH ONE? Uhhh Shader,.... do you know them kinds that cost so much? I am baffled and floored. My kids will think our puters here are completely toys after using such and of course, they will depend on ours being as high tech... now Im scared!

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  6:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small counties have generally not had numerous high powered AP courses.

There are needs to be met and the budget is limited. The focus is usually of a number of practical courses which will provide the students with work skills that can be use in their job searchs. Priorities are about students being best prepared to face the job market.

There are options for enriching the education of students in public education which go beyond school. The internet has numerous links which can be helpful. This site may be helpful:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-01%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=AP+high+school&btnG=Search

There are private schools locally, home schooling info on line, and the possibility of Young Harris to learn of the enrichment programs they offer.

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 03/10/2006 6:16:02 PMGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  7:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forsyth County has lap tops for all students, middle through high school. They love em, does away with paper homework.

The State of Georgia has 159 counties, so you would think the lottery money gets divided equally. NOT SO. The higher income zip codes, 30174,30040 and 30043 are just 3 that I know about. The average family income in these areas is over $125,00 so there are a lot of high income folks here. 14 counties in Georgia get 75% of all the lottery money.All these schools are around Atlanta. they use the lottery money to build new schools and to help supplement teachers salaries to get better teachers. The lottery folks say is isn't so, but having lived there for 15 years it is so.

Social Change

Go to Top of Page

Gaonmymind

199 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  8:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid to say this-cause I know I will be slammed-but,
I think our school system here is more intrested in sports, rather then Knowledge. Nothing wrong with sports at all, but I don't think it needs to be the number one thing.

The excuse that parents are too busy is a lousy one.
Parents should never be too busy where their kids are concerned.

Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  9:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Social Change

Run for the state legislature or senate and empower the necessary changes in the laws which control these issues

If this is your platform, you would have many suppotrting you.

TybeeGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tybee, I am too old and "set in my ways" to run for public office. I do however write and email elected officials to voice my views on many things.

Yes, I am very much an advocate of a good education. I see too many young men standing on street corners or working at meaningless, no future jobs at low wages. The State of Georgia has short changed the kids of Georgia by partisan politics, internal fighting, pork barrel policies and mis application of funds not to mention a prior Supt. of Schools in Georgia that is currently on trial for fraud. Every, and I mean every ,child in the State of Georgia must have the opportunity to get a higher education. I cannot impress on them enough that within a very few years if you do not have a college degree you will be destined for a life of jobs at minimum wage or slightly above.

To prepare for the future children must be pushed today. That means concentration on academics and a limited number of electives. Our test and SAT's are much to easy.

I will get of my soap box now:

Social Change

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy