New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Haralson Civic Center
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 3
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  5:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I noticed a big ole for sale sign on Bobs Pawn Shop. You know the old chevrolet eyesore as some may call it. Wonder who might buy it and if they'll tear it down?

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been up there quite a while. Now, I do think that is an eyestore and should be taken down. I wish I was rich, I would buy it and bulldoze it.

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow, thanks for your insight into the Civic Center. Yes, l for one feel thet this is not a fitting memorial for the Haralsons. The governmental entity that is responsible for the upkeep or lack of it shouldd be ashamed to let this building get to the present condition. lt looks like the leadership of the county just doesn't give a damn about how things look.

The heat does not work along with the other problems you noted. At some point the elected officials have to decide to spent a lot of money to upgrade, renovate and to make this a useful center or take that money and apply to a new civic center.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the pawn shop.... yeah it does need that done!LOL! Its a big lot too or would that be a tract or lot... anyways.. thats a pretty nice amount of PRIME commercial space! Too bad its not already a LONGHORNS! OR MINI ME WALMART.LOL

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do wonder what will go there if and when anyone buys it...?
Well, I'm sure someone will eventually.
Hard to imagine that yes at one time that was Ware Chevy...it's t-tiny compared to the new place! I can remember going there and oohin' and ahhin' over all the shiny new cars and trucks.

God brings men into deep waters not to drown them, but to cleanse them.
(John Hill Aughey,Presbyterian Pastor,1828-1911)

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! ME TOO!! I member one of my ex fellers car came from there and back then it was the stuff too.. It makes us wonder tho doesnt it Topey, HOWD THEY EITHER GET ALL THEM NEW CARS THERE OR HOW ON EARTH CAN THEY FILL UP THAT LOT OVER YUNDER.LOL!!!

I dont know what will actually go there. I dont foresee us actually getting a Longhorns anytime real soon and not that that really is a bad thing either, no..

I dont know how many more real estate companys we will have but its a close running with them and the hair places and the restrs, banks and grocery stores.lol BRANG ON SOME RETAIL!

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  11:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SC, I think you and I have significantly differing views here. I'm not tring to break anyone's back over this. I wanted to find out what was behind the complaints, so I went down and looked at it with an objective eye. I then took those things I listed to those who do have oversight over the building so that the problems can be corrected.

The things I noted are easily solved with just a bit of attention and I don't really believe anyone has been purposefully neglecting the Civic Center.

I'm of the mind that they've been taking care of the big things because those are the things that are most noticeable. But if you're in the building all the time (or like me, only go there when the event is happening), it's easy to lose sight of the smaller things that end up detracting from the overall experience.

I know I experience that same kind of feeling when I've been away from my house for a couple of weeks. I get back and realize the paint is peeling over there under the eaves, that I really should do something about that flag holder, realize the wood could be stacked better, and a bunch of other things. So I get busy and start working on them. But the week before I left all those things were there and it barely registered. That's what I think happened at the Civic Center.

I've since heard that the roof was repaired last year with a new roof covering and sealant. If so, and the roof problems have indeed been corrected, then taking care of the other items (including fixing the heating) will go a long way towards putting that fresh face on the auditorium again.

As citizens, we have a choice of sitting on the sideline railing against those in charge about why things aren't right. Or we can use the things we see for suggestions on how the situation could be improved and offer support towards those improvements. One divisive, the other unifying (or at least friendly). I'm going for friendly.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  11:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I doubt if they would let people just go clean up and repair the civic center. Liability insurance problems, I would guess. There should be people that could be hired to repair and clean the building.

Liabilty yeah but the communitys, specially small towns always gathered together to have FIX it days and to plant flowers, we do have a garden club last I recall.. If people pulled together and lets use Shaders word, in unity... it would be a geat place.. like long ago... if people were there to help because of their hearts and minds and most of all souls... liabilty and money would be the LAST thing on a persons mind, and soul... if we thought about money EVERY TIME we made efforts,//// just would not be so sweet! I think if the people of the county were to come forward to the politic powers that be and ask if they could HELP... that would be the best advertisement for the good will of our county! Ill paint!lol Shader, Ill paint for you and Shaderette as well!

Saint Francis of Assisi

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 02/27/2006 11:50:28 PMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  4:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stopped in at the Civic Center today to see if there was any differences from the last time I checked. If you'll recall, I made a checklist of the things I saw that I considered problems (it's on the second page of this topic).

1. I forgot to specifically check the Exit lights. I believe they were still not lit. The last Email I received from the Commissioner on it though indicated that they had already been aware of that particular problem, had replaced several lights, and were waiting on the electrical company to find a part to repair them with.

2. The ventilation system was not making any creaking noises this time. I couldn't tell if it was running though, so it's possible it wasn't on due to the warmer weather.

3. The patched areas of the walls have since received paint, so that they're not visible now until you're at the wall looking for it.

4. The ceiling tiles are still missing. This is not unexpected, since the roof still has leaks that need repair. I wouldn't expect much work on replacing stained or missing ceiling tiles or painting the streaked walls until the leaks that caused the problems in the first place had been corrected. Just a few weeks before my first post, a crew had spread 10 gallons of sealer on the roof to try and stem the leaks. Lamar indicated a new roof would be needed, at a cost of $50,000.00 . Their staff was waiting to hear from back from the roofing folks to see what else might be done in the meantime. I noticed that leaks are not contained only to the auditorium area. Other areas of the building also showed evidence of leaks.

5. I only noticed one fixture that appeared to have bugs in them. It's in the far left corner as you go into the double doors of the auditorium. It's the one I noticed first the last time and that got me to look at the others. Perhaps they are dark spots on the diffuser, but I took a picture of it last time and zoomed in on it and they definitely looked bug-shaped.

6. The dead bird quickly disappeared after being reported.

7. The floor was much better this time, and was much better only a couple of weeks after my first post on it when I attended an event there.

8. The outside looks a little better. The loose gutter was fixed and things look solid. Not eye-catching, but solid.

Better this time, but the missing and stained tiles definitely detract from the overall aesthetics of the auditorium. Hopefully, additional patching can be applied to stem the leaks until the Commissioner can find room in the budget to fix the problem properly.

Shadow

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  8:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heat still dont work in the auditorium but the air does.

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  9:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a post previously it was mentioned that the roof was either replaced or repaired with a sealant 2 years ago. Evidently if indeed this was done, it did not work.

This topic has been discussed prior and I for one am appreciative to Shadow for going by to take a look. Yes ,the roof is in bad shape and the $50,000 repair might be conservative and the HVAC system is in poor shape and is not working. I guess the question remains, do you keep pouring money into an old building that has outlived its economic usefullness.

Either the county or city should take a hard look at this building and either renovate into a useful facility or just start over.

Stand back, take a long look and say to your self, Is this a civic center that I can say with pride "This is our civic Center"?

fairplay

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  01:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would check and see what everyone is argueing about now and I have to laugh. While we debate, towns county (half our size) is modernizing their hall by installing heat and air conditioning. Must be profitable. I don't know where everyone has been but fannin county has a modern, hall with the best sound system I have ever heard. Harold made a deal (real cheap)with the sorgum people for land next to the Teck school and they backed out at the last minute. The posters that keep telling people, that have suggestions, to go back where they came from had better be carefull. I resented the Cubans when they started coming to Miami and ended up with a Cuban partner. It's obvious that the spanish now control everything in south florida. Keep up this "us and them" attitude and the locals will loose all control. In case you don't know it the outsiders already out number the locals by a whole lot. Most outsiders come here like you say, to retire and take it easy. They don't want to get involved, but if they keep getting stepped on they will rise up and take over just like the Cubans. You aren't making too many locals any more and the outsiders just keep coming. It's going to happen just as sure as God made little green apples. Wouldn't it be wiser to work together and make this community a better place for all the people that have made it their home. I here people braging about how long their people have been in union county and its commendable that they are proud. My daddys people setteled in Ga. 50 years before Union county was formed and my mothers people setteled in fla 50 years before that and that dosen't make me anything special. We are a country of people on the move, even the locals offspring are leaving, you don't want your kids to be considered as second class citizens where they are going so lighten up.

sonnyGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Fairplay!

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Silly me, but I thought the "us versus them" arguments had died down in February.

quote:
but if they keep getting stepped on they will rise up and take over just like the Cubans.

It seems to me you're fostering the same "us versus them" attitude, just from the opposite side.

quote:
even the locals offspring are leaving,

Yes, they've been doing that forever it seems. And then, like boomerangs, they come back after they've got a trade under their belt or have cured the wanderlust of youth.

quote:
so lighten up.

Yes...good advice - for both sides of the fence.

Shadow

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  9:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something no one has mentioned: The Civic Center is only on loan to the County, it doesn't belong to the County. If the property is used for anything else besides a Civic Center, it reverts to the Harralson Estate.

Puts a crimp in some of your suggestions, does it not?

The mold in the duct work is making more than one person who works in the Civic Center sick. MOLD is what you see on what used to be pink insulation. Many people have allergies to mold, mildew, etc. And people with allergies can't just "up and move" to another facility or another job.

If anyone can locate grant money which could be used to refurbish the Civic Center, I'm sure the Commissioner's office would be most appreciative.

Honoria

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  9:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that. If there was a church that needed at center like this, could we rent it???

**There is no truth except the truth that exists within you. Everything else is what someone is telling you**Go to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  9:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try it Maddy. The auditorium is used for a variety of things, why not a church too.

Live to Ride. Ride to live.Go to Top of Page

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  11:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can. There's a Bible Study group which meets there now on Wednesday evenings. Just call the Ga. Extension Service and talk to Judy. She'll let you know if the auditorium or the conference room is available and tell you what they charge.

Honoria

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)Go to Top of Page

Topic is 3 Pages Long:
  1  2  3

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy