New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Haralson Civic Center
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 3
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And yes Miss Lizabeth, and people wonder why people are so defensive here and why to alot of the questions we locals are asked. Not all that move here wanna change everything.... but these that wanna step out and make a rucus.... ;)

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc that is s0o0o true.. Come to think of it sc were is your side kicks at.. The ones that had your back on this topic.. And Like doc said.. What you start you do need to finish.. Thats how we do here in good ole B~ville

~*~Moma Is This Better~*~Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Tech is has the "Fiber" UH HUH! LOL!

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Topaz, to a certain extent l agree with you. As a prior outsider looking in,now an insider looking out, change is innevitable and necessary. The "outsiders" will outnumber the locals shortly and we must face the reality that "they" the outsider youth, will want change, just like the soldiers who returned from WWll. It is the natural order of things and it really cannot be stopped. Look around you in Gilmer, Fannin and Rabun. Union and Towns are next.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ummmm, whats the saying? You can take the Gal out of the country but you can't take the country out of the Gal?

Topey, You and I know they CAN BRING IT ON, CHANGE OR WHATEVER BUT THEY WON'T SUCCEED IN CHANGING A FEW GOD GIVEN THINGS IN BLAIRSVILLE! NEVER! AND TO KNOW WHAT WE ARE EVEN TALKING ABOUT, YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE A LOCAL TO EVEN KNOW!

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I guess if some of us are a "Y'all", like me, I should just crawl in a hole & keep my mouth shut? I'm one of those y'alls, but not one that want's the changes. I like it here. Would I like to see a civic center more up to par? Yes, I would. It's not on the historical building sites is it? It's not a landmark of blairsville. (to some who have had their first kiss at a dance, maybe) Fort Sorghum? Hmmmm. I for one think it's hoakey, but I love the business it brings in from the "y'alls". I like the parade.
There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to better a community.
As for DSL. My Alltel zooms.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And where is the funding coming from to make all these changes??

"Donít be afraid to be yourself, the people who matter donít care;
the people that care donít matter."

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats not in our life time by no means.. not at all. Move ins yes will come, but look at those names hun.. on the industrial parks... on the bank boards, on the every board imaginable and o yes... the phone and power ... look on those boards... I dont forsee that big of a dramatic load coming in this lifetime of mine nor my kids. Everyone just about it that I went to school with that are locals also had 2,3, and 4 kids... soo.. I think you will be surprised. The most moving here are retirees that will come here to enjoy what life they couldnt enjoy while working. While you have the grandkid to think of, not all that come here do. So as far as our future leaders of Bville... they will more than likely be our offsprings too. Yeah one or two names will die out or move off. Ive seen that too.. but nah.. I dont foresee Bville be taken completely over in my 31 yr old lifetime by out of towners.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Civic Center is pretty much a land mark and Historical for those of us in our 30's. It was the place we went and got our blood test for marriage, it was where we learnt we were pregnant (Health Dept) was there then. It was the place we watched movies during school hours. Walt Disney Movies that is! And yeah for a few it was probably a first kiss for a few! Not me! But Umm...Yep! Historical to me!

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UCB and the school have private roadrunner fibres, not Alltel.

l don't know why l am catching all the flack'' l did not start this, Ydoicare did' But l can take the heat, l am a thick skinned person of German heritage. but remember l be your friend til the last dog dies.

I signing off now' to many people mad at me.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

Elizabeth

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the locals here have anything to say Blairsville will NOT change.. From all the ones raised here that now has children.. They are going to raise there children the same way they were raised and do you think those children will want to change what there family has done in this community.. I don't think so.. And as far as fannin ellijay the only thing different there is that they have wal-mart goodys stores like that.. The kind of stores that the locals want here.. But then yet all of you "outsiders" say there will be to much traffic and all of that crap. If you want let us have those shopping stores.. Then hello here I think yall can handle 9 dang days out of the year when the fort opens.. Good grief.. My idea to settle all of this bs on here if ya dont like it then go back to were you came from.. That would sure make everyones life a whole lot easier

~*~Moma Is This Better~*~Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my first kiss there but had forgotten all about that..

I gave info on a place or places for yuns to build your stuffs... The Civic Center just needs a make over. Thats all it needs. The Fort needs a make over too but nothing really major. So whos ready to spend some dough and go to work on giving to the county? :)

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
True high speed broadband with wide bandwidth uses fibre optics and l do not think there are any fibre optic cables in Union.

quote:

UCB and the school have private roadrunner fibres, not Alltel.

You never specified Alltel when talking about there not being fibre optic cables in this county.

I have no complaints about Alltel's DSL. Much better than dial up!

"Donít be afraid to be yourself, the people who matter donít care;
the people that care donít matter."

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  12:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think all change is bad but when it aint dead, dont bury it! That building aint that far gone by no means.

I also dont think everyone that moves in is out to destroy Bville and bulldoze the town down. Preservation is important to locals tho. We are happy with what we have and dont want to rid what we have.

I think industry and a wal mart would work wonders alone,..

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  07:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say I agree with moving the fort. It needs to be out of town down 515 somewhere.

My reality check bouncedGo to Top of Page

hrspowr

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  10:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify, I DO NOT think the civic center should be torn down and replaced. A little bit of renovating and sprucing up would make the place alot more appealing. As for the fort, if it could be moved somewhere else that would make a great location for say, a large outdoor theatre and maybe add a wing onto the back of the civic center and use it for a youth center, have a place where they could go after school and play games or get tutoring. And maybe put in a couple of large conference rooms for get-togethers, etc.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  10:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want blairsville to change either. I really don't want concerts to go to right down town. When I moved here in the early 80's we lived in a very historic place, the first spot settled in Fannin county, in Dial. Down the road from us was the first general store, built about 1840. Imagine our horror, when the owners decided that the old store had a rotten floor, so they burned it down.(sorry, they were local)
We were sick. We would have purchased it, disassembled it and put it back together.
I love blairsville, everything but that old car dealership that really is an eyestore.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  12:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I went and took inventory of the Civic Center. The building has always looked fine to me, but when I'm there for an event I'm concentrating on it and not looking around too much. Today though, I had the time to give it a good once-over.

1. The emergency exit lights inside the auditorium are not lit. Perhaps they're on a light switch someplace, but my understanding of the electrical code is that they're supposed to be connected to an always-on circuit, with battery backup to ensure they stay lit if the power goes out.

2. The ventilation system sounds like it could use some maintenance. The large grill towards the center is making a creaking noise that would be very distracting for any quieter kinds of event (like a person speaking or addressing the audience).

3. There are several places where the walls have been patched or opened up at some point for a type of repair and patched back, but no painting afterwards to cover it up.

4. Three ceiling tiles are missing along the back wall (opposite side of stage) of the auditorium. I assume these are the "fallen" tiles originally referenced by Ydoicare. There were no broken tiles on the floor, so someone must be cleaning in there. There's many more stained tiles along the back and side walls, and streaks down the walls indicating that the roof is leaking.

5. The light fixtures could use some maintenance. Bugs should be cleaned out of the light reflecter lenses, bulb brightness shouls be consistent, and overall light should be better. I'm thinking there are a good number of old bulbs there - working, but with grim dimness. It's possible I missed some light switches though, as I don't recall lighting being an issue back around Christmas.

6. There is a dead bird on one of the side wall supports. It looks like it's been there awhile.

7. The floor is extremely dirty. The makeup of the floor doesn't show dirt that well (I suppose that is by design), but if you run your finger along the floor at any point you'll quickly realize just how dirty it is in there.

8. The outside could use some TLC. There's a loose gutter, and it needs a makeover to improve the visual impact.

Now, as I indicated before, just because faults can be found with the Civic Center doesn't mean it needs to be torn down and my tax dollars further increased to build another.

But, as a county facility, I do think the current state of disrepair is a bit insulting to the growing, vibrant community we hear about in our newspapers each week. And, for Pat and Maude Haralson - whose names are listed on the outside of the building, it's not much of a memorial.

Except for the leaking roof, I don't think it would take much effort or money to bring a shine back to it. I would hope that the County has had or will have someone looking into the roof leak to see what needs to be done to staunch it before more serious damage is done.

I'm thinking the Civic Center would be a good question of the week for our Commissioner. It would give him a chance to reveal his thoughts and vision regarding our long-lived meeting place.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 02/27/2006 1:04:56 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  12:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking that out Shadow.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  1:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes yes! Good Job Shader~! as always!;)

Hardly seems enough to justify tearing the place down. All those items can be saved and repaired .. the roof would be at the top of the list to me... if it is not fixed.. then it is the county or whoever is in charge of making sure that things are maintaineds fault.
Then we have to ask if they are doing their job? Who are they and why arent they doing thier job?

Saint Francis of Assisi

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 02/27/2006 1:28:11 PMGo to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  2:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm....Shadow....thought just occured to me....have you ever seen yourself in a political office in your future???

Sounds like a plan to me! Seriously!

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  2:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job Shadow. Don't know much about the ventilation system making noise but I do know that the heat doesn't work in the big room. The air does though.

Go to Top of Page

tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow,

Thanks for the facts about the Civic Center. I am glad you have a "Sgt. Joe Friday tendency: The facts Mam, nothing but the facts." There would be less confusion and animosity on BV.com if there were more facts and less shooting from the hip.

Then again the postings might not be as interesting. A mix is probably good.

Tybee

Tybee

Edited by - tybee on 02/27/2006 3:43:42 PMGo to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  4:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what Shadow has said about the center, it seems to me that the good folks of Union County could have a "Fix-it Day", some Saturday morning maybe, and go in and do some repair work. If everybody brought cleaning supplies and maybe got some paint it sounds like the center could look real nice again! Sorta like an old fashion "barn raising" but cleaning and repairing instead. THE COUNTY NEEDS TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTING THE ROOF FIXED FIRST! (Are you listening, Lamar?) Maybe someone that knows about electrical work can fix the emergency lights.

Maybe if enough people bombard Lamar with questions about it, then maybe he will do something about the roof. Maybe he isn't even aware that it is in need of fixing up.

Just the opinion of an "outsider" who hopes to live in Blairsville in 4 years, and 10 months (tomorrow)!

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  5:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt if they would let people just go clean up and repair the civic center. Liability insurance problems, I would guess. There should be people that could be hired to repair and clean the building.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 3 Pages Long:
  1  2  3

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy