New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Haralson Civic Center
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 3
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Ydoicare

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  8:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many people feel as l do? The current civic center is an obselete, functionally outdated, economically disenfranchised eyesore. The ceiling is falling in, multiple water leaks, heat system that is not working and frankly is of no real use for anything.

What is wrong with a new modern center that represents the legacy and heritage of Union County? The Sorgum festival grounds could be moved to a better location and that area could be used for expansion and parking. It is now vacant 11 months out of a year.

Would not it be a source of pride for a new civic center that we could be proud of. How about theatre seating, ditigal sound, great lighting, a real performing stage that would attract concerts, theatre, plays. It could be used as an art venue for local artisans as well as an area for receptions and meetings.

The facility would be self supporting because if you build it they will come.

Having this eyesore is an embarrassment. Does the current commissioner ride around with rose colored glasses?

Ydoicare? Because l like Blairsville and only want first class facilities, anything less is mediocrity and that is unacceptable.

hrspowr

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to have something like that. It would also be alot better if the Fort could be relocated somewhere outside of town so that there wouldn't be so much problems with traffic. As for your last question, yes, I'm afraid that he does.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Fort is in need of a face lift and so is the Civic Center. The Fort is a land mark and not that I do know cause I really dont know but the Jaycees and Lions Club, yuns may wanna talk to them before yuns wanna pick the landmark up. Yes I do think they both need a face lift! That dont mean we have to move the fort. It aint what it used to be by no means but it is after all Blairsville to have it there.

The Civic center in its day was a productive and happening place. Its a shame that it isnt as hopping as it once was. Im actually in love with a memory of a bunch of kids used to go and learn how to clog there. How the place held a teen dance that is direly deserving of having today too.. I also remember seniors would go there and make quilts and do some wonderful things.. why cant classes be tought in there for crafty people?

Yeah restoration or remodeling would work I think.. dont yuns?

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 02/22/2006 9:28:57 PMGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DOC, you have your memories, but it cannot be remodeled. I agree with Ydoicare. The fort needs to go. It is unproductive, sittting on prime land and vacant most of the time and frankly it also is an eyesore and should be moved and expanded.

A new civic center would be a source of pride and open up so many opportunities for the kids and give them a place to build memories.

Just my thoughts Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which part of the civic center are you referring to? We've had our last few church parties there because there isn't really many other places for 450 families to sit down together. I didn't notice any problems with the ceiling, or with heat. Our Christmas party was there, so I suppose it was cold outside.

I think it's kind of cool, going there to drop off my older kids for 4-H dances - plus the church events we do, because it's the same place I went dancing at prom times, where I used to ride a skateboard in, where I used to go after school for 4-H activities. It's fun to recall that it is where the library used to be - in an office space so small that I think my current home office is bigger. Legacy and heritage? The current place is steeped in it.

Concerts, theatre, plays - Young Harris' Clegg Hall seems ideal for that and is pretty close. Do we really need a performing arts place of our own?

I'm not saying your idea is bad. But I'm not embarrassed by the current building. It'll be interesting to see who is.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welll dont wonder when the locals... anyways... when in rome.. and further more.. yes I know it needs some help but the building aint that bad or theyd condem it and Ive seen homes more in need of being condemmed. This is what gets the fueds a goin thick.. when people wanna change everything... and not just for my memory sake either.. That building is in need of remodeling MAYBE but its functional and useful... thats why its still there.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which part of the civic center are you referring to? We've had our last few church parties there because there isn't really many other places for 450 families to sit down together. I didn't notice any problems with the ceiling, or with heat. Our Christmas party was there, so I suppose it was cold outside.

I think it's kind of cool, going there to drop off my older kids for 4-H dances - plus the church events we do, because it's the same place I went dancing at prom times, where I used to ride a skateboard in, where I used to go after school for 4-H activities. It's fun to recall that it is where the library used to be - in an office space so small that I think my current home office is bigger. Legacy and heritage? The current place is steeped in it.

Concerts, theatre, plays - Young Harris' Clegg Hall seems ideal for that and is pretty close. Do we really need a performing arts place of our own?

I'm not saying your idea is bad. But I'm not embarrassed by the current building. It'll be interesting to see who is.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Good point Shader. Nah, we are surrounded by performing arts...

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SC, is there any landmark that you would like to stay? Should all the "old" places be torn down and something new and modern be built in its place.

There was a grand and beautiful hotel in Brunswick, GA call the Oglethorpe Hotel. There was a lot of history in that old hotel. It was torn down in the name of progress. Its history is now gone except in the hearts and minds of thoes who remember. Most of them are gone or are close to being gone.

Oh, the place that was built in the place where this grand hotel used to be has been torn down, remodeled, redone and noting done to it was as beautiful as this old outdated hotel.

How about some of the historic old houses in Savannah? Guess they should be torn down to. The property could be used for something new and upscale. Get rid of all the old stuff and bring in the new.

Speaking of getting rid of all the old things. How about you and I. Compaired to most here, we are old and past our prime. Should the young folks just get rid of us?

Just because something is old and in need of repair isn't a reason to get rid of it.

GrayEagle
"Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge, and dares forgive an injury."
E. H. ChapinGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dad. I appreciate your post and I do love you! Thank you. and Kiss Mom and tell her I love her too.

Ive heard about the Ogelthorpe Dad... I think it was my mawmaw but I did hear about how glamorous it was.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last week a large part of the ceiling fell in due to rain. The heat system has not worked in weeks.

Someone mentioned a venue in Young Harris, well bully for Young Harrris, why can't Blairsville have our own? There is not one true concert hall in this area that has theatre seating, digital sound, acoustically tuned with a performing stage with lifts. Man it would be great to have one and to leave a legacy for our kids instead of living on our own memories.

The posted statements indicate that the space is to small, which is absolutely correct. You cannot have a concert in that place. We, and including myself, cannot base decisions on past happenings and memories. All of us have memories of places but you see buildings being imploded on TV everyday. These buildings were somebodies memories at one time.

We need to get into the mainstream of life and build for the future of Blairsville and Union County.

Just my thoughts

Social changeGo to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Years ago Mom and I found a lady who did pin and ink artwork while we were stationed at Ft. Meade, Md. We provided her with two views of the hotel and asked her to make a drawing of the grand old hotel.

It is beautiful! A one of a kind rememberence of the past. I love that picture.

GrayEagle
"Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge, and dares forgive an injury."
E. H. ChapinGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who yall gonna get to play here? Hiawassee use to have big name country stars come.. they stopped coming. Not enough money in it for them and so they raised prices for tickets, then the people stopped coming... then the toll got worse as its known from this last years concert agenda.

Nah, not bully on YH... thats why the place made it on the map. Trisha Yearwood and Ronnie Millsaps went to college there not to mention most of our Blairsville people went there and so forth...
Its cool that youre thinking of our kids futures but it wont employee many and thats the area our kids are in need of so they wont have to move away from HOME to live and afford luxury trips to concerts and such.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got just the place yall can build this.. artsy place at! 678 Shoe Factory Road! I think thats the number of the old shoe factory building... now there ya go.. that place would work out too.. Dont yall think? I mean its in really bad shape and... Tom Murphy can be contacted about that thru the developmental authority and well.. there ya go. I dont know how much they want for the thing.. good investment too!

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Last week a large part of the ceiling fell in due to rain. The heat system has not worked in weeks.

I didn't know that. When you say ceiling, are you referring to ceiling tiles? From their getting wet by the leaking roof? So it needs repairs. I'm thinking the measure of whether a new civic center is needed is for when the cost to repair, maintain, and operate the current facility equals or gets close to the cost of building another with new components.

quote:
There is not one true concert hall in this area that has theatre seating, digital sound, acoustically tuned with a performing stage with lifts.

If it were economically viable, someone would already be working on building a commercially funded one. Alas, that isn't the case - even Cobb County's citizens groaned under the weight of tax money spent for their then-new Civic Center back in 90s. Think of how many thousand and thousands of citizens were supporting that effort.

Here we have a much smaller population count, and would be shouldering an even larger tax burden to fund it. For what? Just so we can say we have one of our own?

quote:
We need to get into the mainstream of life

That line was a bit amusing. Many of the folks moving here are trying to get away from the mainstream of life. A little slower paced up here. Part of the charm of living in a small town or rural community. Things aren't quite as fancy as back in the big city, but then jeans are lot more comfortable anyway.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 02/22/2006 10:12:40 PMGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DOC, you are correct in that much more has to be done to enable our kids to stay here and to find jobs. This was hashed out in previous post. In order to attract industry a change has to be made in the local government, specifically a 5 man commission, a Chamber of Commerce that will do more than sit in the building and pass out maps, do the things that attract new business, such as a good water system, a sewer system, real broadband internet service ( not the fake service we have now disguised as broadband, which it isn't) improve our schools curriculum to attract high tech industry. This will come, because it has to and demographics will take care of it, l just want to see it in my lifetime so my grandkids can enjoy.

Yes, l love old buildings, l have remodeled several. I would never tear down a historic building. but the present civic center is far from historic, just an old building that served it's purpose at one time but it;s time is long gone.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ucda.net/newfront.htm

AVAILABLE PROPERTY

BUSINESS AND INDUSTRIAL PARKS

Blairsville Airport Regional Industrial Park

The Blairsville Airport Regional Industrial Park is a 112.7-acre industrial park, located between the Blairsville Municipal Airport and the four-lane GA 515 "Zell Miller Parkway". Cobb-Vantress, Inc. (Division of Tyson Foods) operates a state-of-the-art $4-million, 38,000 square foot chicken hatchery in the BARIP with 25 employees.

Name of Property Size in Acres Water main size Sewer main size Price per acre
Blairsville Airport Regional

Industrial Park (B. A. R. I. P.)
112.7 total acres
Parcel "A" 10.86 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "B" 15.45 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "C" 8.82 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "D" 9.89 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "E" 12.40 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "F" 7.07 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "G" 4.13 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "H" 16.38 10" 8" negotiable
Parcel "I" (sold to Cobb-Vantress, Inc.) 27.7 sold

Blairsville Airport Regional Industrial Park, with Airport left center, GA 515 right to upper center.

Robert W. Jones Industrial Park

An immediately available site with utilities is the 100-acre Robert W. Jones Industrial Park with about 1 acre remaining, at the southeast city limits east of US Highway 19/129 South.

Robert W. Jones Industrial Park 0.900 acres remaining
Tract "A" 0.900 8" 8" $20,000

POTENTIAL COMMERCIAL OR INDUSTRIAL SITES

In addition to these two Industrial Parks, other properties have been identified by the Development Authority as having a possible potential for industrial/commercial use. However, some of these sites have not been listed for sale by the property owners. None are presently served by sewers.

Paul Owenby site 29+ 10" 10" n.a.
Butternut Creek site 100+ 0 0 n.a.
Alice Candler Andrews site 300 6" n.a. n.a.
Davenport Farm site 75 6" n.a. n.a.
Young Harris College Farm site 228 6" n.a. n.a.

Paul Owenby Site

This site is less than two miles from town and is available for sale. It is recommended as a prime commercial site for a shopping center. It is located at a major intersection (GA 515, US 76 and "K" Road, which lead north to homes around the shores of Lake Nottely and south to the Mulkey Gap, Old Blue Ridge Highway area. Water and sewerage lines will be run from the lift station at BARIP.

Each of these properties can be seen in confidence by making an appointment with:

Tom Murphy, Executive Director, Union County Development Authority

Phone 706-745-4500 Fax 706-745-4500 E-mail: tommurphy@ucda.net

Saint Francis of Assisi
ID SAY THAT INDUSTRY COMES TO ALL OUR ATTENTION... WAY BEFORE THE STUFF THAT WILL OCCUPY MOVE INS THAT DONT HAVE TO WORK OR NEED TO AND NO I AINT MEANING TO SOUND MEAN..

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 02/22/2006 10:25:34 PMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
real broadband internet service ( not the fake service we have now disguised as broadband, which it isn't)

You've carped about this before. Can you better describe what you're talking about? Alltel offers up broadband DSL Internet service for many areas around here. My sister has it, my mother has it, my father has it, I've got it. I can point to a dozen other people around that have it, so I know it's not just me and my family.

3Mbpbs down is what they call their Ultra service. I've got that, although my speed from the Internet in general comes out more like 1.5Mbps (2.5Mbps if I measure using Alltel resources). Still - that's T-1 speeds and hard to sneeze at.

Maybe you have less choices - it's really just Alltel for unfettered Internet access up here, but it's still broadband.

Shadow

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here we go again...

Let's see...
Most all of the Benefit Singings and Auctions are held at the Civic Center.
Family Reunions, Gospel Singings, Church Dinners...several of each are held there throughout the year.
And I'd say there's many events held there throughout the year that I don't know about.
Remodeling work is needed...not destruction.

As for The Fort and the Sorghum Festival...
Where would you suggest it be moved to?? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this subject has been brought up before (and NOT on Bvilledotcom)...
The Fort still stands.
As for the traffic from the Festival...a whopping 9 days out of 365, if you don't wanna be in it, then stay away from that part of town.
Next ya'll will be wanting to do away with the parades because you don't like town being closed off for 30 - 45 minutes...not to mention the traffic afterwards.
And what about the Car Shows and Customer Appreciation days at UCB?? Those generate a lot of traffic as well.

Why do ya'll move here? Most when asked, say it's to slow down... enjoy the simpler, laid back way of life here.
But yet, it ain't long after arriving, that some start wanting to set about changing everything and bringing the big city ways here...and expect us locals to go along with it.
But let us locals mention wanting a Wal Mart, Target or some other shopping center to come here, and all hell breaks loose!
Ya'll are the first ones to start in griping about the traffic that a shopping center would bring, telling us that we can go to Murphy, Ellijay, etc if we want to shop; that ya'll moved here to get away from all the stuff a shopping center would bring in... and on and on and on.

Lord, forgive me for what I'm about to say.

Damn ya'll piss me off!!!

"Donít be afraid to be yourself, the people who matter donít care;
the people that care donít matter."

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with ya Topaz. I do.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking this topic ought to be moved to the Politics section...

Shadow

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I can lock it and I can delete it, I cant move it.

Only Jimbo can do that. O I can archive it.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not an internet savvy person. About 4 weeks ago Mountain Thinker did a beautiful job explaining how this was not broadband and how Alltel led everyone to believe it was. True high speed broadband with wide bandwidth uses fibre optics and l do not think there are any fibre optic cables in Union. Also, l use my computor in my work and companies are always complaining that my sending info is too slow and the internet system is not compatible due to its obselecence.

What we need is a competitive internet provider like Comcast or Bell South.

But this is off track, Ydoicare's topic was the civic center and l made a promise to myself not to get embroiled in a long discussion off the topic.

Social changeGo to Top of Page

Elizabeth

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys! I just wanted to say to the people that is wanting to change blairsville.. If yall moved up here to get away from the city and to be "country folks" like us.. Then why in the world are you wanting Blairsville to be like the city... I mean come on.. If you want the city that bad... Go back to were you came from and leave our town alone.

~*~Moma Is This Better~*~Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC... HUN, I THINK THEY LEFT YOU TO FEND FOR YOURSELF AFTER STARTING THIS ONE... See another something something is... the saying, finish whatchya started would apply here on the boards cause most are here to read but some do reply and readers and replyers expect to see what the result if any is and where do you go from there.... ;) Not pickin on ya, just letting ya know, I dont see your friends who started the topic here defending you and I dont see hrspwr catchin the slack either.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
l do not think there are any fibre optic cables in Union

Try UCB and the Tech School...
And this info came from a long time Alltel employee.

"Donít be afraid to be yourself, the people who matter donít care;
the people that care donít matter."

~*Topaz*~

Edited by - topaz on 02/22/2006 10:51:13 PMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I worked in that Civic Center for a few years. And while it might of needed a little of "this and that", the building is in very good shape. It was kept very clean when I worked there. THe only problem I ever seen in the place was bugs. And they were transported in with the can goods (boxes), the building is fine, leave well enough alone. I keep reading all this eye sore crap from everyone. If something as "decent" as the civic center is an eyesore for you, then look the other way! Good Grief! Help a family that has cracks in the walls, or holes in their floors or a leaking roof themself, why sit and worry about a County Building!? Pettiness is coming in this county by the bushel fulls because of all the people who, in their opinion, think that something is an eyesore! If it was so beautiful where they came from, why didn't think stay there? Or if something is such a problem to look at then .....YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

Topic is 3 Pages Long:
  1  2  3

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy