New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Blairsville Business & Retailing
 Grocery store chains
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  2:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand that grocery chains develop prices in their stores based on demographics of area, average age of customer base and median income. To this end they will construct stores in these areas. Generally when a Home Depot is constructed a Kroger of Publix will go up alongside, i.e Blue Ridge. My peeve is the 2 chains we have in Blairsville, (both regional), Ingles and Bi-Lo's. Both these stores are old and no more than a glorified concienience stores and way to small to be a modern grocery stors. Over the last 4 weeks I have tried to purchase products that are well advertised in the media, only to be told by management that their computors tell them that this product would not sell in Blairsville, so they are not stocked. Pray tell! if you don't stock them, how do you know they will not sell. Duh!

I personally would like to see a new modern grocery store, be it Ingles, BiLos, Kroger or Publix, just stock a full range of products for all people and enter into the 20th or21st century, depending on how you count the years.

It appears the chains think just because this is Blairsville we do not eat anything but fatback, grits and biscuits, and I resent this cavalier attitude about our spending power.

This would be a good project for the Downtown Development Authority and Chamber of Commerce. There is a need, so go for it. People here buy groceries also.

Just my opinion, whats yours?

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  2:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Social Change,

Move to Towns County, like I did. I'm only half kidding.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  2:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Social change, don't get me wrong. But why do you start these topics and never comment again? Sure I would love a publix. My favorite grocery store.

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  3:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 'heard thru the grapevine over at the gossipin' post'...
that Publix has bought out OR either is in the process of buying out Bi-Lo.
Of course it's just "hearsay"...don't know 4 sure!!

"Donít be afraid to be yourself, the people who matter donít care;
the people that care donít matter."

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  3:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which BTW don't really matter to me...
I always go to Save a Bunch anyways. Hopefully they won't go out of business any time soon!!!

"Donít be afraid to be yourself, the people who matter donít care;
the people that care donít matter."

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

Alanaah

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  3:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Publix would be a great welcome!

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  3:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Social change, don't get me wrong. But why do you start these topics and never comment again? Sure I would love a publix. My favorite grocery store.

Coosa, In the welcome to new members forum, SC said this:
quote:
Good Evening, Thanks for the kind words. It is a pleasure to join in and furnish some topic material, some controversial, some not. I have been out of town working, even us semi retired folks still have to work. You asked for a little background---I am a Safety and Fire protection consultant, working as an independent consultant for insurance companies. I have been in this business for over 40 years. I kid my grandchildren that I have never drawn a salary, I have been self employed since time began.

As I travel throughout the US, I observe things that strike a social nerve. I mean no disrespect to Blairsville, Union County or the citizens, I love it here an am not trying to change things. I just point out areas I think could be improved that would make life easier for us all.

I love spirited conversation and I certainly do not expect everyone to agree with my rantings.I will toss out topics on a regular basis for everybody to chew on and lambast me. Just remember, I will always be your friend.

The Last Confederate Holdout------Social Change

I was wondering the same thing as you until I read this. Now it makes sense (to me).

GrayEagle
"Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears."
Edgar Allen PoeGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  4:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I must have missed that. Well, welcome social change. We all love blairsville. There was not a good grocery store when I moved here. We had foodland, but it was small and another place by the Baptist church in that shopping center.

Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  4:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having lived in several parts of the country, as well as Europe, I have shopped at a lot of grocery stores (not including the military commissaries) and I think that Publix IS THE BEST!! I would LLLOOOVVVEEE to see Publix come in to the area. They probably would not come to Blairsville because they sell beer and wine, but I would gladly go to Hiawassee or Blue Ridge if I could shop at Publix!

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  4:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So would I. I enjoyed them last week when I was in florida. that is where I got my egg custard pie!! yum!

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  4:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess most everyone would like a new grocery store. I am torn between the new design Publix and the new Krogers. Either one would be ok. I hope the rumor that Publix may be buying BiLo is correct. I assume they would be buying the entire chain because BiLo is strong in South Carolina( headquartered in Greenville) and Ingles is strong around Asheville NC, but both have struggled in Georgia and the rest of the South. I guess it may be because we want better grocery stores. I love to shop in big, well lighted ,open and extremely well stocked grocery aisles, great deli and dessert areas. I once inspected a grocery store( Safeway) that had 98 different types and brands of mustard. I guess that must be a benchmark. We can hope, one day it will come to fruition.

The Last Confederate holdout, Social Change.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  5:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am appalled at how dirty Ingles is, especially on the outside. We have been dreaming of a publix for a very long time, I just don't see it happening.

Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  5:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started going to Ingles in Murphy the last two weeks. They have alot more different things and you never have to wait in line to check out.

I have been to Jasper to Kroger and I wasn't too impressed by them either. Too high even with my Kroger card.

My reality check bouncedGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  5:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sont understand all these stores having these cards... why not just give us good deals? It has to cost the stores to make them plastic cards and all the info we giveum... I just dont get it..

Pud, we go to Wal Mart usually but end up at Ingles here every other day it seems.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  5:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the cards are a pain in the neck, I have one for Ingles, bi low, cvs and food lion. I am always having to search for the right card. But I use them to save money.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  6:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL. Johnny at Ingles is so fun.. hunny took my keys in and I have Bilo over top of Ingles and he scanned it and showed Johnny that Bi Los worked on their scanner.lol NOT.. he was holding the ingles one right slab dab underneath the Bilo one.. you shoulda seen Johnnys face tho! It was funny.. he said he oughtta charge us 20% more.

Yeah Coosa, they are a pain and I wonder if the stuff we have to fill out dont get submitted to junk mail stuff cause I sure get enough of it and credit card apps of all kinds... Good Lord, how does these folk make any money at all with the money the throw out with the paper, time and ink not to mention postage!

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  6:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Publix did buy Bilo over a year ago. They have no plans to take bilo out & replace it with a Publix.
(we have a good friend who is a regional manager for Publix)
I do regular shopping at both. I'm split. I like the BOGO's at Bilo, & I like the different variety of specialty foods I can get at Ingles. They have a wider selection than Bilo, but not more than say a Publix or Kroger in the big city. Many times I have filled out those little "want something?" cards at Bilo & Brenda either throws them right away or they sit somewhere rotting.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  6:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder that myself, they get a good postage rate, but gosh I get 10 offers a week. Even tho I have a chase card and an american express card, they still offer me other cards from the same company. Then when you call with a problem, you can't understand what they are saying. I would think there would be a great need in this country for people that can speak plain, understandable English.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  6:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then when you call with a problem, you can't understand what they are saying. I would think there would be a great need in this country for people that can speak plain, understandable English.

Cossa, The reason you don't understand them is because they MAY be actually in a call center located another country such as India.

GrayEagle
"Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears."
Edgar Allen PoeGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  6:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're probably 100% correct Gray!

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure you are right. Gray. Oh well, if wishing will get us a publix, maybe we will get one.

Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they get a Publix someplace close soon. I will be there in 4 years, 10 months and 19 days! I'll start counting minutes and seconds a year out!

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  1:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the only place I want to go when I go to florida!!

Go to Top of Page

Nikita04

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard when the Kroger store will be ready in Blue Ridge?

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  2:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I dont understand all these stores having these cards... why not just give us good deals? It has to cost the stores to make them plastic cards and all the info we giveum... I just dont get it.."

DoC!

I don't understand it either. I will never understand WHY they can't just lower the prices and skip the cards!!!!!

Doesn't anyone prefer simplicity in life?

I think the cards are an invasion of privacy. They can chart everything you buy as an individual. They're also an unnecessary waste of time (employee and customer), paper, plastic, and money.

I truly resent the things.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if we had a Publix it wouldn't be an issue because they don't use cards!

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy