New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Humane Society Mountain Shelter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  01:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question that may be best answered by natives of the area who would know the history better . . .

How do you feel about the Humane Society Mountain Shelter that serves Towns and Union counties?

And . . . Do they receive any funds from local government?

When I lived in Marble, NC, evidently there was a lot of animosity toward the Humane Society there. The local government cut off funds to them that used to provide funds for any stray animals that were dropped off.

After they cut off the funds, citizens had to pay to drop off stray animals there. Some people were willing to pay and others were not.

As a result, stray animals were a huge problem there and a great frustration. I could tell you some very sad stories.

The only Animal Control they had, was a janitor at the courthouse they pressed into doing the job a couple of days a week. He was not allowed to pick up strays unless they attacked a person, or a person's pet or livestock.

So, I am curious about the situation here. I may want to volunteer in the future, or at least donate, so I want to know what you think about the job they're doing.

Thanks in advance.

Wildflower

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  01:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMY!! Now thats a very very good question and I think one in which need to also be raised in the higher ups as well.. wished I could answer ya but I cant.. That is sad... very very disappointing too. How would one raise the governments objection to not paying for descent proper care of animal control and over turn it so that they will properly pay and help this situation.. Omy.. I was sleepy but now my heart is torn up... I know what mountain folk use to do with unwanted animals and it makes me want to just cry like I did when I was a lil girl and learned how they handled that.... :(

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know much either, but I do think that the county does contribute some money but they mostly ask for donations. When Imoved here, people threw their unwanted dogs in dumpsters or shot them. I use to carry dog food all the time in my car to feed the animals at the dumpster.

Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be glad when I get up there because I plan to volunteer at the shelter. I love animals and it breaks my heart to see how some animals are treated. ANIMALS HAVE FEELINGS TOO! I think that sometimes people forget that.

I would be interested in hearing the answer to that question also.

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mom, you will do wonderful work here. ;)

Dad, you best be thinkin of kennels to build.lol ((((hugs)))

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be scared to work there, because I know I would bring all the dogs home with me.

Go to Top of Page

Smokey

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the Mountain Animal Shelter has a thrift store that helps supports them. I love that shelter. One of the few that refuses to put animals down. As for volunteering, I know that people on probation can work off community service there so it stays pretty clean. As for local government funds I don't think they get it but I really don't know.

Kindest Regards,

SmokeyGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know much either, but I do think that the county does contribute some money but they mostly ask for donations. When Imoved here, people threw their unwanted dogs in dumpsters or shot them. I use to carry dog food all the time in my car to feed the animals at the dumpster.

EEEWWWWW!

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  08:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smokey, I honestly dont either but I heard that there are more laws gere now about animals and controling them........ looks very good in some ways and in others... well. I think like most everything - they have over rated themselves and avoided the issues that need to be more approached like this one that Wildflower has brought up.

Smokey.. did you get on at the Fire Station (off the topic)?

Theres a link to the Firehouse here and the chief under the home page @ websites.. ;)

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

joyfulringer

USA
4007 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  09:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coosa, you and I would probably bring them all home with us!

Joyfulringer Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  09:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The animal shelter is mainly run on donations from the puttin' on the dog event & raffles. The county does give them money each year that's allocated, but it's not much. Not nearly as much as they need for this county. Hopefully, with the new pet laws in place and IF they are enforced, the shelter will not be so over run with animals. Spay & Neuter your pet!

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well DoC,

On the one hand, I was shocked about the issue when I came here, and on the other hand, I sort of understand.

We used to rent a cabin in Marble and there was a breeding pack of dogs there. No one could get rid of them via Animal Control.

We also had animals dumped on the property on different occasions. During one month alone, a neglected Pit Bull came to us and a couple of weeks later, three adorable puppies were dumped at the top of our driveway. The puppies were so weak when we found them, a couple of them could hardly lift their heads.

We temporarily took all of them in until we could figure out what to do, especially about the Pit Bull. I placed numerous phones calls to the so called "Animal Control" only to find out their policy was no policy.

In the meantime, the Pit Bull injured one of the puppies when it tried to get a piece of it's food. He bit the puppy on the face and we had to practically perform mouth-to-mouth on the puppy because his nose filled with blood. We nursed him through the night scared to death that he would lose vision in one eye. In the morning, we took all three puppies to the Humane Society and paid for them to be taken in. Luckily, the puppy was going to be okay after they examined him.

Since the Pit Bull had attacked, the Humane Society had a policy that they couldn't accept him. So I went down to the courthouse to ask them what I should do. They wouldn't do anything. In fact, one of the office workers suggested that we shoot the dog!

I even had a very educated person in Murphy advise me to dump the Pit Bull in the woods. He seemed to have no concept that pets are domesticated animals that really suffer in the wild.

I must admit that I was so livid at that point that I thought I had arrived in the worst place on Earth. It didn't help that we ran into a lady in Wal-Mart who had just moved here, and was buying dog food for the starving strays around her house. She was as exasperated as we were that there was no program to address the issue.

The post office in Marble always had a constant stream of unwanted animals being dumped there because people didn't want to pay the fee to have them taken in at the Humane Society and they were too lazy to have they spayed or neutered in the first place.

I ended up finding a new owner for the Pit Bull via the internet. There are sites where people advertise that they want certain breeds and we found a girl in Tennessee who wanted him, so we drove him there.

I was told by a native that in the old days, when a stray showed up, they would try to find the owner. If they couldn't find the owner, they had to choose between keeping the animal or shooting it. Now of course, I can understand that because people HAD TO to handle matters for themselves and nearly everyone had a gun.

But things are different now and it's time to organize so that animals won't suffer needlessly.

The Humane Society Mountain Shelter has a web site in which they state that if they could convince people to spay and neuter all their pets, they could meet their goal of becoming a "No Kill Shelter".

But they can't right now because there are TOO MANY unwanted animals to adopt out, than there are homes for.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maddy,

If the shelter here is receiving ANY help at all from the local government, then things are already better here than in Murphy!

In Murphy, there was a feud that had been going on for years and they seemed to feel that the money they gave to the Humane Society there wasn't used correctly. So, they cut off funds.

After that, Murphy local government did NOTHING to address the animal problem, so I think it was just an excuse to keep the money.

From the attitudes I witnessed, the natives there resented the idea of special laws to protect animals.

Even the janitor who they got to work "Animal Control" part-time, complained about "having to have all these rules nowadays."

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I do see your point and I look up to for trying to car for the strays.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The real goal of the Humane Society is to have NO strays at all.

If people would spay and neuter their pets, and not dump them like they are garbage, the problem would be solved and there wouldn't need to be a Humane Society. Or at least, they wouldn't have far more than they can handle.

The Humane Society only exists because people aren't responsible. No one should take on pet ownership if they aren't prepared to do it right.

I also wish people would not get pets with the thought that if they decide to move, they can just get rid of the pet. Getting a pet should be considered a lifetime committment except in those instances where life throws a curve ball and you just can't take the pet with you.

Pets are not wild. They are domesticated animals and don't do well on their own. They are also not part of the ecology here and compete with the native animals for survival.

See this link.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/pet_overpopulation_and_ownership_statistics/

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actual statistics for the United States:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/pet_overpopulation_and_ownership_statistics/hsus_pet_overpopulation_estimates.html

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I am a dog lover and everydog I get is one that stays with me for the rest of her life. My Lucy was a dumped off puppy when I found her freezing to death and starving in a barn. That was in 1992 and she is still alive and well.
I do like the policy of not putting the dogs to sleep if possible.
The county does give them some money, but not nearly enough. If I could I would have 12 dogs.(but probably no husband)

Go to Top of Page

fawn

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit fawn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, me too! We adopted another doxie in August from Dachshund rescue. She's a cutie. If I ever get my 20 acres I will have lots of dogs....the ones that no one else wants.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted to do that too, just take in all the ones no one wants!

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  6:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a dog and a cat.

The dog was a stray puppy that was found in the woods in Blue Ridge, starving and covered in ticks. She's nine years old now.

The cat fell out of the pine tree in Marble and will be two years old next month.

As you can see, we didn't even have to make a trip to the Humane Society. They came to us.

I never wanted a cat even though I liked them. But after having this one, I'll probably always have one. I won't buy purebred as long as there are so many in need.

BTW, have any of you ever taken a look at the web site for the shelter here? They have pictures of dogs and cats up for adoption. Every one of them is so cute no matter what their age.

But, I feel sorrier for the ones that used to have a home.

We also have a feral cat that comes around. But he won't let anyone get close. I used to feed him because he was so thin, but then the possums starting eating the food all up, no matter how many times I filled the bowl. At the same time, I noticed he was looking better and somehow getting food somewhere else.

I hope it lasts because I've worried so much about that cat. He has the sweetest, most expressive face and he would press his face up against the window and look inside. But I couldn't get near him.

After a while, the cat and dog used to wait by the patio doors every evening waiting for the feral cat to make his appearance.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy