New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 16 visitors.
 All Forums
 Blairsville Business & Retailing
 Blairsville Retailing & Surrounding Areas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 14
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  3:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I ever take another cruise, that will be the one I want to go on. Sounds great!

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen to that Morning Coffee. Would not it be better if we had a spruced up downtown? This is one of my favorite topics and l hope l live long enough to a beautiful downtown Blairsville.

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first moved here, I lived in Fannin and the downtown blue Ridge was terrible looking and dead!

Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  6:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Amen to that Morning Coffee. Would not it be better if we had a spruced up downtown? This is one of my favorite topics and l hope l live long enough to a beautiful downtown Blairsville.

Social Change

The Downtown Development Authority is still looking for a Town Manager SC! Sounds like the perfect job for you!

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  6:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really do like the new/remodeled building next to the old Chevy place.
Today's the first time I really noticed it...nice!! :)

God brings men into deep waters not to drown them, but to cleanse them.
(John Hill Aughey,Presbyterian Pastor,1828-1911)

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11125 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  8:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it is nice! ;)

Have yuns heard there might be a new hardware store comin to B'ville?

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the new remodeled building does loot nice. They are going to pave the parking lot at the old village restaurant this week too, that will help. I don't think we need a pawn shop on the square.

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep Lady, I've heard talk of a new hardware...hmmmm.

God brings men into deep waters not to drown them, but to cleanse them.
(John Hill Aughey,Presbyterian Pastor,1828-1911)

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Butternut creek ice cream parlor is going to open next Friday, March 17th. YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  12:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
People say the liquor restrictions keep Blairsville's behind the times...I don't believe that, I think it is the mentality of many of the local people running businesses.

I think that might be an oversimplification of what people say. Resistance to change appears to be in our very nature and something I have to fight the inertia of within the company I work for constantly (almost none of whom are in Blairsville). People are generally threatened by change because they've gotten comfortable with the predictability of established patterns. Newcomers have already become enmeshed in change by going to a new place.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it isn't really about local mentality. It's about human mentality.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 03/10/2006 12:11:53 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sleepy Hollow craft shop now open. 4439 Young Harris Highway.

Go to Top of Page

swtsue

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  5:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to Gainesville or Atlanta, go to Brewsters for the best ice cream & malts & milkshakes. YummmmmmGo to Top of Page
tybee

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  5:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also a Brewster's in Athens on the Lexington Hgwy. past the perimeter. It has very good ice cream.

TybeeGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  6:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hummm when I was young and thin I was a chocolate malt junky.

Brewsters sounds good to me.

It brings back memories of childhood and going to Farrel's the big ice cream place that had the cute shop by the cashier and they would sing if you ate the piggy.

A HUGE ice cream plate.

That was a great memory of my childhood. We always enjoyed it!

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

swtsue

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  6:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Farrel's I had forgotten all about them. yes, with the loud noise & whistles when you ordered that big ice cream thing. all the staff would come & sing happy Birthday. Loved it.Go to Top of Page
Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  6:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep Sue, the good ole days. We would go as a family, then take a ride in the country on Sundays.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  6:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, Brusters is rated as the best ice cream chain in the USA. Before we moved my grandkids wanted to go everyday. Even had a Brusters credit card. Summer is here and i am going to miss that. It will be worth a trip back to Cumming, just to have a butter pecan triple in a waffle cone.

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  7:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A triple of the same thing? I autta be against the law.

Kiddin!

Sounds good!

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  8:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruster's doesn't taste any better than any other ice cream I ever had. I will eat just about any kind tho! I aint picky when it comes to ice cream.

My reality check bouncedGo to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  9:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some prior post have indicated a rumor of a new hardware coming. Opening a new hardware in Blairsville, with a small population base, and competeting against Home Depot and Nelsons Ace, not to mention the Home Depot in Blue Ridge may be a case of economic suicide. I am not sure the county can support another hardware. I always like to see new business succeed, but the sad factis that 90% fail within the first year.

Gaonmymind

199 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  9:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a new hardware would be a good thing.
The "small population" has nothing to do with competition.
Nelson's ace is basicly a feed and seed store. Home Depot in Blue Ridge is just that-it's in BlueRidge The Home Depot on Blairsville is not much better. I find that most builders and home "honey do-ers" will support the smaller stores, I know we do, they are easier to deal with and besides the "big stores" like home depot do not always carry what you need and they do not go out of their way to get it.
(Been there done that, asked and no way)
Builders source does very good business as does Mountain Building supply- because the local contractors use them. Home depot gets it's share-but it's not from the same folks everyday. They do well with the "week end warriors".

Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your post. Time will tell. You may be right but I am thinking that Nelsons is much more than a feed and seed store and Home Depot will sell 3 or 4 times as much in a week as the other comparable stores combined.

Social changeGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband goes to Home Depot every day to buy something, but he buys most of his material, lumber, doors, windows, etc from builder's 1st source. We use ace for a few things, the ace in blue ridge has a lot of tools. We had a small hardware store that was here for years and years and we never went there.

Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that if you need something and go to Home Depot you better know where it is because the employees can't find it.

My reality check bouncedGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11125 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  11:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for your post. Time will tell. You may be right but I am thinking that Nelsons is much more than a feed and seed store and Home Depot will sell 3 or 4 times as much in a week as the other comparable stores combined.

Social change

Time will tell! BFS only benefited from HD. I forgot the profit from last year. But let's put it this way, the employees got a bonus (before taxes) from $1500-$4500! Now that tells alot. And BFS will beat any price (for quanity sales) that HD has! MBS thought they would blow BFS off the map. Contrare! With all the additional building going on, ONE more wouldn't hurt a thing. In fact, BFS, MBS, nor HD would never know the difference. It's coming!

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

Topic is 14 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy