New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 7 visitors.
 All Forums
 Blairsville Business & Retailing
 Restaurants
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Page: 
of 41
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  2:36:15 PM  Show Profile
I got the information on Mike's from his take-out menu. Open on Sundays? Don't know. Maybe he decided too after printing the menu.

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Or is there a church in that area? I could not tell, because his windows are tinted.

But I was bummed, I wanted to check it out.

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  4:56:09 PM  Show Profile
I bet he might be open on Sunday's for the after church crowd. When I worked in a restaurant, the busiest day of the week was on Sundays but the tips were the worst that day.

Go to Top of Page

schmooze

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile
AMEN

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  8:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
If tipping on Sunday is such a problem, then I wouldn't open the doors for business. Instead of blaming the "church crowd" I would take in consideration that the owners of the establishment COULD pay their help a decent wage on Sundays if that was the "poorest day" of the week. Seems like everything is blamed on "the church crowd" lately!

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  8:56:22 PM  Show Profile
I don't think there was blame on the church crowd. There were 2 different sentences there. I think most people are closed around here on Sundays so they can have their day with their families and their Church.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  9:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
Ummmm, Literally two different sentences Yes. But the same statement has been made over and over and over and over and over before about waitressing and the church crowd being the worse tippers. It was just paraphrased differently this time.

~Me crazy? Nah, just three teenagers, get back with me in the year 2010, we'll discuss it then.~Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  9:02:04 PM  Show Profile
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  9:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  9:14:34 PM  Show Profile
With reference to the "tipping" question, I believe this is not a "sunday after church" problem. The IRS has very specific rules on how wait staff is to be paid. Recently I believe the amount was $2.40 per hour( I am not sure of the exact amount) and the wait staff must complete a form about the tips for tax purposes. Because of these complicated IRS rules restaurants just do not pay salaries to wait staff.

But on the plus side a good waiter in an upscale restaurant can earn $ 150,000 or more per year. A lot in Atlanta do. I know because I audit them for Insurance companies.

Social changeGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  9:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I worked for many years for $2.01 per hour in the 80's. Now they get about $2.17. I waited on about 20 tables and made an average of $12 for a 7 hour day in tips. That was average back then. I hope it is better now. (this was on sundays) but locals did not believe in tipping back then, hope they have changed.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  10:12:18 PM  Show Profile
If a waitress does not make up for min. wage in a days work, isnt the restr. supposed to? Thats what Ive always been told.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile
Guess I will have to find a place for lunch today. I have a jug of water and an ice machine in the garage, but no food!! I will probably go to Wendy's, that is my favorite fast food place.

Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  7:25:12 PM  Show Profile
There crispy chicken sandwich for 99 cents is pretty good. Only been there once, but it was yummy!

Cherry Blossom
Go to Top of Page

Social change

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  9:35:30 PM  Show Profile
The old rumor mill is running full force. I heard today, from a beverage distributor that Enrico's( a good restaurant I might add) is being forced to give up their beer and wine license because the building that they are in belongs to the new owners of Fieldstone. Don't want the competetion is what I heard.

Also, a new restaurant that is in the getting ready to open stange in Hiawassee has had their beer and wine license application turned down because a church decided to renovate and in doing so came closer that what zoning allows.

If true, this is absulutely ludicrous. Please someone explain to me why the distance to a church to a restaurant that serves wine and beer would be grounds for terminating a alchohol license. Is this fact going to corrupt the morals of the church brethren? Church buildings are just that, buildings and should not have any bearing on who or where alchohol is served.

I hope this is the correct forum to vent this!

Social ChangeGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  9:54:16 PM  Show Profile
The new owners of Fieldstone aren't renewing their contract with them. They (owners) wanted Enrico's to move to Hayesville, or where the yacht club is now & they didn't want to...so...no renewal of lease. They want to put a nightclub up there where Enrico's is now.
Enrico's should have stayed where they were, in my opinion.

taylor50-140

USA
2293 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  10:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Ok, maybe I'm going to open a can of worms here, but I hope not. I read over some of yesterdays post on waiting tables. I guess first some credentials: I have done everything from dishwasher to prep to cook to server to manager. I am a Nationaly Certified Professional Food Manager thanks to some of my training. I have worked anywhere from Waffle House to local "greasy spoons" (Joy and Gray-remember "Catfish Queen" on Norwich Street? where the old KFC was? Yuck!)to fancy places that had champagne brunches on Sunday (Cranes on 341 behind Shoney's). I have been a lead server trainer for Cracker Barrel, and a manager and trainer for Pizza Hut. When I went back to Brunswick in December, I was the dining room supervisor for Pizza Hut there. I have over 25 years experience in restaurants.

The current tax laws are the reason servers do not get paid "a decent wage". What money they make is in their tips. Average starting pay is $2.15 per hour, with experience it can go up from there. I have worked in restaurants since I was 16. Started at $2.01 an hour (1980). I have made anywhere from $11.00 to $160.00 in a shift. A server has to claim a minimum of 8% of their total sales. If they do not, then they will be allocated the correct amount-( and taxed whether they claim it or not). Even a manager who is not a server, if they take an order and it shows up under them, they will be taxed the 8% by the IRS. If a server truly does not make at least the federal minimum wage, the restaurant must make up this difference.

As for the Sunday crowd, I hate to say this, but in my 20+ years experience, I would rather take a beating than work as a server on Sundays. When I was at Cracker Barrel, I would PAY someone to switch sections with me. I would trade out of the non-smoking section and go into the smoker's section. I knew that night the usual church crowd would come in. It sounds bad, but very true. They would come in between 9 and 9:45 knowing we closed at 10. They would order full meals, then run the server to death! "Can I get you anything else?" Customer A says "Yes, I'd like some jelly". So you go get the jelly, then cutomer B wants ketchup. You ask if anyone else needs anything and they say no...until you get back with the ketchup, then customer C wants honey for the biscuits, again you ask the same questions again the answer is no, until you get back then customer D says his food is cold. Wasn't it cold a minute ago? Couldn't he have told me then? Anyways, it goes like this the whole time they are there. Besides the fact that they change tables so they can converse with other people from the same church that they just saw 20 minutes ago. They allow their children to run wild, and play musical tables as well. I have seen children allowed to go play at the checker table where they threw the wooden checkers into the fire just to watch them burn! All while their parents were running me to death. I have almost tripped over children being allowed to run and play in the aisles of the restaurant. Remember when I said we closed at 10? I have left Cracker Barrel at 12:30am after cleaning up from the party of 10-20, and be lucky if I found $2.00 on the entire table(s).

At Pizza Hut, we had the Sunday Buffet from 12:00 to 2:00. Groups of 7,8,9 or more would come in, Go to the buffet before even being seated, then sit all over the dining room, moving tables and chairs to their liking instead of allowing us to seat them properly, then complain when no one rushed to get their drink order! Many times, it would be so busy that we didn't even see them. There is a separate room called the "party room" was usually closed on Sundays, but even when I had chairs blocking it off, there would almost always be a bunch that moved them and went in there anyway, then get mad when no one knew they were there! And, as usual, you may receive the change out of a $20 bill with a bill of $19.58!

I know it sounds mean, and I'm really not trying to offend anyone, nor am I saying that all church groups/families/members behave this way. I am saying that this has been my experience, both in Georgia and here in Colorado, from the cheap places to the more expensive. It's sad, but true.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Life is a Journey -
Enjoy The Trip!Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  08:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Well Taylor, I can tell you that I have had the same experience. I worked for $2.01 an hour over 20 years ago, and they only make 2.15 an hour now. I was head waitress, so I had to work on Sundays. We dreaded the back room, cause it was all big tables of people that had just come from the same church. You are right, they would run you to death.
The very first big table that I waited on, on a Sunday, was a group of 18. The last man to leave, took the change out of his pocket and left it. I got 87 cents for waiting on a table of 18 people for over an hour and a half.
The most I ever made in tips on a Sunday was $12 and that was waiting on hundreds of people for 6-7 hours. I personally tip $6 every night for my $16 meal because I know how shortchanged the girls are by most people.
Sorry, but it is true. I have asked every waitress I have ever known and they hated working on Sundays. Our restaurant would not hire anyone that would not work on Sunday. It was just a given that you would go to work for an entire day for about $20. You income taxes were taken directly out of your paycheck, so my paycheck for an entire week would be about $25.
Think about this, when you leave your next tip.

Go to Top of Page

taylor50-140

USA
2293 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  09:14:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Coosa At least I know I'm not the only one with this experience, so my post doesn't sound quite as mean. I never have understood why it's this way, but it just is. Because of all my restaurant work when the kids were growing up, they are all pretty good tippers. It makes me feel good knowing they think about someone else rather than where they could spend the extra few dollars if they didn't tip. My son took a girl out to a nice restaurant for dinner one night and left a generous tip. The girl asked him if he was crazy. said that it was too much, and started to pick it up and leave less. My son told her that no amount would be too much- his mama used to wait tables and he knows. He made her leave the money, and as far as I know, he hasn't taken this girl out anymore!

Life is a Journey -

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile
Taylor, I wrote a letter to the editor explaining about how much waitresses made and i got several replys. Most of them said that anyone who would work for $2.01 an hour was stupid. Where would they all go out to eat every week, if there were no more waitresses and waiters? Who do they think cleans the restaurant. We had so many duties, but cleaning was the main one. We had to dust, mop, vaccum, clean windows, wash down the tables and chairs, etc.
Most people think waitresses bring the food and that is all! Plus, I hate the way people are so rude to waitresses, like they aren't even people.
One man I go out with says, now if these french fries aren't hot, you can just take them right back,(in a rude tone) Like, hello, did she cook the french fries.
The girls fight over who gets us, at Monets, cause we talk to them and treat them like humans!

Go to Top of Page

Wu

1452 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  09:35:16 AM  Show Profile
hehe,...I remember being accused of flirting with the waitress by a date for leaving a good tip! Seeing my older sister come home so wore out when I was growing up taught me just how hard the wait staff works.

wu

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  09:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks wu, you have to run your legs off. Being the head waitress, I had to take any shifts that someone called in sick. That meant, most days, I had to leave my house by 9 am and I got home between 11-12, usually with less than $30 for working lunch and dinner shifts.
I have seen the girls cry at Monets, when they would get a $2 tip for working a large party of 10-12.
I once worked an entire bus load of people going on a sight seeing trip, about 40 people. Lunch was included in their ticket, so no one tipped one penny!! I got nothing and the owners sure never paid me extra for working those 2 hours. Would you work 2 hours for $4?

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  10:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage
Most of the restaurants that I have been to, here and elsewhere, have a policy that for groups of 8 or more, there is a tip of 18% added to the bill. However, as always, if the service is Very Good, you can add more, or if the service is Very Poor, you can remove or lower the tip.

Many times, people may miss the fact that a tip has been added and will add an additional tip.

Perhaps Cobb's Mill might want to start that and it would spread to other restaurants in the area.

GrayEagle
Who do PEOPLE say Jesus is? Who do YOU say Jesus is?Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile
That is what we use to beg the owners to do, start a policy that groups of 8 or more have the tip added to the bill. In many chains, that is done, but not our local restaurants. The owner of the restaurant i worked for, did not care if the girls worked for nothing. I don't know of any restaurant in this town that does this, but I am sure some do. Monet's does not!

Go to Top of Page

taylor50-140

USA
2293 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Amen on the extra work no one seems to know about! Ya'll that haven't worked in restaurants before, pay attention here - there may be a bunch you don't realize -

Your server takes your order, brings your food, checks back to see that all is to your expectations, checks to see if there is anything else they can get you to make your meal more pleaseant, refills your drinks, offers dessert and/or coffee after your meal, keeps your table clear of dirty dishes, then gives you your check and bids you good day.

What most don't realize is that they have to do this for every table in their section, regardless as to how busy they are. They do this for every customer- even the ones who are rude and unable to satisfy, even the ones who do not tip, even the ones with bratty kids that leaves BIG messes, yes, every single customer, and they do it with a smile.

Also not known is the fact that along with everything else, it's the things most people don't see. Who do you think makes sure all the tables, booths and chairs are clean enough for you to sit on? Who makes sure the floors or carpets are clean? Who refills the salt & pepper shakers, the ketchup bottles, ect? Who has to argue with the dishwasher because the dishes are not coming out clean enough? Who argues with the cooks when your food is just "slopped" on the plate? Who makes the cook re-do what they mess up? Who has to keep up with who gets the thousand island dressing, who gets the chocolate cake, who gets the unsweetend tea? Who has to keep up with how long it is going to be before your meal is ready? Who is the one that picks up all the cracker pieces, the green beans, and the cleans out the highchair when your precious little one leaves such a mess? Who rushes to your table when one of the kids has been playng around and knocks over a full glass of tea? Who is the one that cleans the windows? Dust the fixtures? Picks up the trash in the parking lot? Who has to be the one to tell you that they are sold out and unable to serve the very thing you wanted? Who has to work weekends and holidays so you can spend time with your family? Who makes sure the restrooms are properly cleaned and stocked? Often, who is the hostess, server, and cashier all at the same time? And who takes all the blame?

If the steak is cooked medium well instead of medium rare, or if the inside of your baked potato isn't quite done, does the cook get the blame?
If they are sold out of the roast beef, does the ordering manager get the blame?
If the soft drink machine is broken and you can't get what you wanted, does the owner get the blame?

Maybe a person who agrees to work for such a low wage is stupid. But, I have always enjoyed working with people and making new friends. The majority of customers are not bad, but there will always be that one bad apple that can ruin a day. If a server is good at what she does, and she cares about her customers and it shows, the tips will come. I have supported my entire family with just me working.

Life is a Journey -

Topic is 41 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy