New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Property Tax story reported in the Sentinel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  11:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read the Sentinal online & I'm still wondering HOW & WHY is this crap allowed to go on?
Was the last :30 of that meeting really not available on the video? How'd that happen? The only person I saw back there next to it was, uh...OHHHHH!! That explains it.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  11:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhhh Maddy, can you email that name cause I really havent seen it??? hmmm.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  11:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent seen the video that is.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you get to the sentinel on line. I have tried www.unionsentinel.com but nothing happens? I know Gray put it on here somewhere!!

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  3:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try your link Coosa. It works!
Our avid reader, who just lurks knows who was back next to the video camera.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coosa, the link you put works..all ya gotta do is click on it!

GrayEagle

****Blessed are the cracked: For it is they who let in the light*****Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  5:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does not work for me, I just get a "thud" sound everytime I click on it.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  6:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cherry, are you still willing to give Coosa lessons?

GrayEagle

****Blessed are the cracked: For it is they who let in the light*****Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  6:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is ok, I got it when I typed it in, I don't understand the thud sound, I get it a lot when I click on something and nothing happens but that noise.

Go to Top of Page

Veritas_Luxet

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I beg to differ, Lux. We have a republican form of government, based on democratic principles. That's no mere splitting of hairs. A democracry is just as you stated. It's government based on the will of the majority of its people.

A republic is a government based on a constitution that provides the basis of law, with the citizens getting a representative voice in government.

The failure of our schools to teach this distinction is, I believe, in large part responsible for many of the social ills we face today.

The following best succinctly contrasts for me the two forms of government:
Democracy - The Majority Unlimited, lacking any legal safeguard of the rights of The Individual and The Minority
Republic - The Majority Limited, in a Republic under a written Constitution safeguarding the rights of The Individual and The Minority.

With both "Truth" and "Light" in your screen name, I hope you will not mind my clarification here.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Locus enim est principum generationis rerum - For place is the origin of things. (Roger Bacon)Go to Top of Page

swtsue

USA
667 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot use the link either. just clicking didn't do it & even when I type it in NADA

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  7:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I have tried the link on two different types of computers and the link works on both (MAC and Windows).

GrayEagle

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  7:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Works for me!

My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coosa, that noise you were hearing when you tried clicking on the link was almost certainly your pop-up blocker blocking the new browser window from opening. If you hold the Shift key down while moving the mouse over to the link and clicking on it, it would open up for you without having to type it in manually.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 11/10/2005 9:44:45 PMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  01:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although the property reappraisal story came with much uproar, divisiveness and general rancor, our Commissioner did seem to recognize that there were shortcomings in how the process was administered and how records were being kept and has taken actions to correct them.

Per his "Questions & Answers" column in this week's paper, it appears that better records will be kept through the use of the WinGAP computer appraisal system. Perhaps this meant better use of WinGAP, because WinGAP's own records indicate that Union County converted to that system in September of 2002.

It also appears that the appeal process will be followed more closely in accordance with the intent of preventing conflicts of interest and with better involvement of the Board of Assessors (including the staff of the Tax Appraiser's office).

The unpleasant drama aside, it looks like we've got a tighter (and perhaps warier?) process as a result. This will hopefully reduce the number of dissatisfied citizens when this year's county-wide property reappraisal gets completed, or at least give them better faith in the process used to determine it.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

fairplay

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  07:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really makes a lot of sense to scrub all the messages that are current and leaving the dribble a month old about getting on sentinels web site. Well here's a news flash for all you people that voted for single commissioners. The new commish in towns county has run into a problem. He is not finding all the money that is supposed to be in the kitty. They are missing 6.5 million and growing. Here come the feds. All this from our commisis' mentor, hope we are not next because our information source has just been silenced.

sonnyGo to Top of Page

spiderman

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THIS SHOULD BE THE FINAL CHAPTER ON THE TAX STORY.
This week the Sentinel no longer employs spoiled ribs as the smell just simply got too bad for them with his misreporting on the tax story and his abusive way of trying to intimidate people. After reading his last editorial (and Justin's column in sports) I think they can now change their nicknames to "Sour Grapes".
The bottom line is this, the Sentinel owner attended the public hearing and heard. He said in the AJC that John's story was untrue and that there was no crime was committed.
Eddie and Sonny lost and had a lot of stuff to say.
Sonny is always attacking elected officials and complains and gets mad when nobody takes him seriously. Sonny should quit running his month and run for commissioner if he thinks things are so bad. He opposee Glenn and supported Harold, then he turned on Harold and supported Lamar. Now he is attacking Lamar. Sonny, run for the office and let the voters decide if they support your opinions.
To all that read this posting.
The public hearing had experts from around the state testified that the local board had done nothing wrong.
The state officials did not find any cause for concern.
The experts and the state officials stated in that meeting that they were misled by John. Reading the posts here it appears many people on this forum were misled as well.
The fact that Mr. Bradley brought in someone to baby sit John and now John is gone speaks for itself.
People can complain about whomever they want, the commissioner, tax board, other newspaper, chief tax assessor or whatever, they can accuse things of being a kangaroo court (that is the term always used by the losing side) but the facts are clear.
Eddie and Sonny went to John
John wrote the storys
Lamar had a hearing
Eddie, Sonny and John were proven wrong
John got fired.
The End - WE HOPE!

spidermanGo to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um....okay.?.?.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  10:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
spiderman, let's stop living in the past. We understand all that (some may dispute the characterizations, but the gist is there I guess). It was in the paper. Why rehash?

Focusing on the positive outcome aspects should be the last word - we've got a better process being used by our County government now. They know they not only have to avoid impropriety, but the appearance of impropriety. And better record-keeping will help them in that regard.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

spiderman

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  4:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not rehash - just an update on what happen with those who were involved. As for focusing on the positive, I AGREE. Time to move forward.

quote:

spiderman, let's stop living in the past. We understand all that (some may dispute the characterizations, but the gist is there I guess). It was in the paper. Why rehash?

Focusing on the positive outcome aspects should be the last word - we've got a better process being used by our County government now. They know they not only have to avoid impropriety, but the appearance of impropriety. And better record-keeping will help them in that regard.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

fairplay

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  4:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This week the Sentinel no longer employs spoiled ribs as the smell just simply got too bad for them with his misreporting on the tax story and his abusive way of trying to intimidate people. After reading his last editorial (and Justin's column in sports) I think they can now change their nicknames to "Sour Grapes".
The bottom line is this, the Sentinel owner attended the public hearing and heard. He said in the AJC that John's story was untrue and that there was no crime was committed.
Sonny is always attacking elected officials and complains and gets mad when nobody takes him seriously. Sonny should quit running his month and run for commissioner if he thinks things are so bad. He opposee Glenn and supported Harold, then he turned on Harold and supported Lamar. Now he is attacking Lamar. Sonny, run for the office and let the voters decide if they support your opinions.
The public hearing had experts from around the state testified that the local board had done nothing wrong.
The experts and the state officials stated in that meeting that they were misled by John. Reading the posts here it appears many people on this forum were misled as well.
The fact that Mr. Bradley brought in someone to baby sit John and now John is gone speaks for itself.
People can complain about whomever they want, the commissioner, tax board, other newspaper, chief tax assessor or whatever, they can accuse things of being a kangaroo court (that is the term always used by the losing side) but the facts are clear.
John wrote the storys
Lamar had a hearing
John got fired.
The End - WE HOPE!

spiderman

Sorry, I will be exposing corruption till the day they plant me. It's a shame the people of this community have no way of responding to accusations from the controling powers. NGN and the commisioner are in the lead with unverified accusations. All we wanted was someone to come in and take a look from the state. A lot of effort was waisted discrediting us and attacking our motives, when it would have been much simpler to call for an investigation and do what was promised in 2001. Now all we are left with is one locally controlled newspaper, that spits out propaganda. I bet people will be more attentive to their tax bills this time around. John ain't gone anywhere; he's still here to be a nightmare to the corrupt clowns in the county. How could it be called a public hearing when part of the public was locked out? No one proved anything, they just didn't answer our questions. What does that prove? As far as us going to the Sentinel, it didn't happen; they came to us. You know you leave your signature every time you write something.

sonnyGo to Top of Page

spiderman

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  08:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if we were to bring up the topic of shoplifting, would that be a "unverified accusations"
Face it sonny, your accucations are the one that have time and time and time again proved to be unverified accusations
Only ONE PERSON, ONE PERSON was not allowed into that meeting and that is because they didn't care enough to get there on time. Everybody that showed up ON TIME got in. They were asked to stay and if they left they could not come back in.
One person that was there was Mr. Bradley, the owner of the Sentinel, who later publicily said the person writing the article was wrong.
Then, he fired him.
Were do we go to get those who spits out 'unverified accusations" against our elected officials fired?
quote:

quote:

John wrote the storys
Lamar had a hearing
John got fired.
The End - WE HOPE!

spiderman

Sorry, I will be exposing corruption till the day they plant me. It's a shame the people of this community have no way of responding to accusations from the controling powers. NGN and the commisioner are in the lead with unverified accusations. All we wanted was someone to come in and take a look from the state. A lot of effort was waisted discrediting us and attacking our motives, when it would have been much simpler to call for an investigation and do what was promised in 2001. Now all we are left with is one locally controlled newspaper, that spits out propaganda. I bet people will be more attentive to their tax bills this time around. John ain't gone anywhere; he's still here to be a nightmare to the corrupt clowns in the county. How could it be called a public hearing when part of the public was locked out? No one proved anything, they just didn't answer our questions. What does that prove? As far as us going to the Sentinel, it didn't happen; they came to us. You know you leave your signature every time you write something.

sonny

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  08:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sonny and Spidirman,

We know you two of you do not agree. Lets give this a rest. I would like both of you to avoid this topic for a while.

Thanks,
Jim

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  12:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jim.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

hrspowr

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So N, err, I mean Spiderman, does that mean that you're going to stop posting here and leave these fine people alone now? You need to come to grips with the fact that you're not the only person in the world who is entitled to an opinion. I'm with DOC, I feel sorry for you.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy