New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Property Tax story reported in the Sentinel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  11:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow should run for commissioner!

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  11:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the new commissioner has an email!! LOL check your mail Shadow.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  12:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know, as we look back......

Aren't we glad that John B. did NOT go to work for the "Offical Organ"?

GrayEagle

****Blessed are the cracked: For it is they who let in the light*****Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  12:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shadow is not qualified enough to be a commissioner, much less Sole Commissioner. That's a job title with a KSA (Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities) requirements list of several pages. I'll check back in ten years though. I might be a bit more prepared by then.

Shadow
Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  2:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sentinel, in the "pictures speak a thousand words" vein, could you adjust and add to the drawing here to help illustrate why the checks and balances aren't checked and balanced in the current structure? What's missing from it is the interaction between the Board of Assessors and the Tax Appraiser's office.

Shadow
Go to Top of Page

dlarryl

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't live here full time. can someone tell me what happened at hearing thursday.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  7:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dlarryl, not sure if you know this or not, but you can read the Sentinel online at: http://www.unionsentinel.com/

It comes out every Thrusday. Other that the information you see on here, this would be a good place to read some back issues (if you haven't already) and to read the results of the meeting on Thursday.

The web folks at the Sentinel do a great job getting the current issue up each week.

GrayEagle

****Blessed are the cracked: For it is they who let in the light*****Go to Top of Page

fairplay

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  8:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys that are writing these good reactions to the meeting need to send those messages to the Sentinel as editorials.Ol Norm is foaming at the mouth to trash us and the Sentenial this week. John B. will probably run them this week. If you know anything about the vindictiveness of this town the Sentinal realy needs your support for sticking their neck out like they have. union

sonnyGo to Top of Page

fairplay

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if people would come foward that appealed to the Board of assessors before 1990 and tell how it was handeled. post it here or email it to fairplay@dnet.net.

sonnyGo to Top of Page

Eddie

49 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like for all who visit this forum to pause and reflect for a few minutes about the FREEDOM OF SPEECH that you are afforded here on this site. While doing so, ask yourself; Wouldn't it be nice if I was comfortable using my REAL name? Wouldn't it be nice if I felt confident in attending county meetings and speaking my mind about issues without fear of retribution such as being labeled a LIAR, TROUBLEMAKER, or worse (cannot be printed here?)How many times have I wanted to speak up and did not because; I don't want to make waves, I've got a business to run, I've got kids in school here, My third cousin (whom I've never met) might lose his job, someone might be offended and choose not to play golf with me again, etc.

Then ask yourself truthfully, am I a COWARD? Am I justified in making these lame excuses or do I really believe them to be real and valid reasons for my silence?

Regardless of your answers (you were honest with yourself now, right?) My point here is to the concept FREEDOM OF SPEECH. We should never, ever allow it to be diminished and or abandoned out of fear from ANYONE. If you and I rid ourselves of the individuals that instill this fear, then everything I've said above becomes moot and we no longer have to make lame excuses for our silence.

If I have rambled too much here, let me put it this way. You should be just as comfortable to publicly speak your mind in any arena as you are anonomously here on this site and with just a tiny bit of courage from many of us all, we'll get there.

HONEST NEWSPAPERS AND PUBLIC FORUMS; Best things since pockets on a shirt.

Jim, Thanks for this site, its doing us all more good than you can imagine!

Go to Top of Page

hrspowr

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best wishes to you Mr. Buchanan and to the Sentinel. Thank you for your hard work. I'm sure there are many, many people who "silently" support you.

Go to Top of Page

Eddie

49 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D.....t John, there you go again, spilling the beans. I thought I had everyone fooled.

Go to Top of Page

fabu

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  11:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oye veh!

fredGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be in the open court room & not some trailor out back? Do you have to get in the court room before a certain time as not to interupt the session?

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am confused, who is the editor of the sentinal?

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it sentinel or spoiled ribs?

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am confused, who is the editor of the sentinal?

John Buchanan

GrayEagle

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  11:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is it sentinel or spoiled ribs?

Sentinel is the screen name John uses when he's speaking (writing) in his position as editor. Spoiled Ribs is the screen name he's using for more personal correspondence and is attributed to a characterization assigned by the other newspaper editor.

This information has changed since I posted this. You can read the updated information in this thread.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukha

Edited by - ShadowMan on 11/10/2005 02:18:10 AMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  1:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing that up for me! Now, I do remember reading something about ribs in an editorial.

Go to Top of Page

spoiled_ribs

6 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  1:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to thank all of you for your kind comments about, and support for, the investigative reporting we have been doing at the Sentinel on the tax assessor's offfice and Commissioner Lamar Paris.
Based on even more thorough new analysis of county records and other evidence collected since Commissioner Paris's "inquiry" on October 27, we will have a major report in next week's paper.
Please pass the word to everyone you know to get the paper, and then pass it along to everyone they know down the line. Grassroots democracy at work will be the key to victory in this matter.
Slowly but surely, Union County is becoming aware of how its government has failed its citizens and taxpayers. Only you can make it right. Please do all you can to bring this issue to the awareness of your friends, neighbors, coworkers, churchmates, and anyone else you can talk to. Knowledge is power.
In the meantime, thanks again for the support. It is much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, ribbie....I think you just reached alot of folks just with this post!

Great reporting and great reading! Please keep up the good work!

GrayEagle

Birder

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  7:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the drum beat, John! We have a "Boss Hog" in the county government and we need to change that to a democratic form of government for ALL THE PEOPLE!!

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got yahoo mail Ribs!

Veritas_Luxet

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  12:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]
Keep up the drum beat, John! We have a "Boss Hog" in the county government and we need to change that to a democratic form of government for ALL THE PEOPLE!!

Bird. We have a democratic form of government. How would you change it?
Democracy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Democracy is a goverment form of government in which policy is decided by the preference of the majority in a decision-making process, usually elections or referenda, open to all or most citizens.

Lux et Veritas

Locus enim est principum generationis rerum - For place is the origin of things. (Roger Bacon)Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  02:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I beg to differ, Lux. We have a republican form of government, based on democratic principles. That's no mere splitting of hairs. A democracry is just as you stated. It's government based on the will of the majority of its people.

A republic is a government based on a constitution that provides the basis of law, with the citizens getting a representative voice in government.

The failure of our schools to teach this distinction is, I believe, in large part responsible for many of the social ills we face today.

The following best succinctly contrasts for me the two forms of government:
Democracy - The Majority Unlimited, lacking any legal safeguard of the rights of The Individual and The Minority
Republic - The Majority Limited, in a Republic under a written Constitution safeguarding the rights of The Individual and The Minority.

With both "Truth" and "Light" in your screen name, I hope you will not mind my clarification here.

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy