New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 8 visitors.
 All Forums
 Union County Schools
 Whatever happened to these teachers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
native-Blairsvillian

Georgia
94 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  6:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are these teachers still teaching?

Kay Bradley-Office Training, Typing
Martha Davenport-Science
Charles Adams-Science
Billie Young-English
Rhonda Payne-Science
Sandra Akins-Home Ec.
Gwen Connally-English
Did Mrs. Connally pass away or was that Martha Clark?
Jim Clark-Math
David Gribble-Social Studies
Max Kelley-Social Studies, U.S. History

Is Jerrie Rogers still the school Secretary? And is Jo George and Ann Akins the school's Counselor's.

native-Blairsvillian

Big Red

6 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  11:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a Senior this year so let's see if I can help ya....

Kay Bradley--She retired last school year (2004), however, she'll be doing half-a-days for the Computer/Typing classes

Martha Davenport--She's at the primary school

Charles Adams, Max Kelley--??? I'm not quite sure what happened to them

Billie Young--She's at the middle school teaching 8th grade

Rhonda Payne--Still at the high school, teaching math and doing the school newspaper though.

Sandra Akins--She retired in 2000, but still lives here with all her family.

Gwen Connally--She retired in 2001, and she also still lives here with her family.

Martha Clark and Jim Clark--DOC is correct about Mrs. Clark, but Mr. Clark isn't part of any of the Union County School's administration or faculty/staff anymore.

David Gribble--Retired last year (2004).

High School Secretaries--Teena Atkins, Cathy Brackett, Jackie Colwell, Jerri Rogers, and Jinny Walker.

High School Counselor--Gina Donahue

For more information about the Union County School System just go to www.union.k12.ga.us

The website has links to all the Schools, which includes the Primary School, the Elementary School, the Middle School, the High School, and even the Woody Gap School.

Hope I was helpful!

Go to Top of Page

native-Blairsvillian

Georgia
94 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  01:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot Big Red. Seems alot of the teachers that were there when I was there 20 years ago have either just retired or been retired for a few years. Not surprised though. I believe they were in their 40's when I was there. Glad that Jerri Rogers is still there, she was/is a good secretary. I don't think Mrs. Bradley could ever give it up so quickly. I loved her and she was one of my favorite teachers.

Thanks for your help and I will go to that website. Good Luck in your senior year this coming up year. Hope it's a good one for you!!!

native-BlairsvillianGo to Top of Page

Ladymarmalade

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  11:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate the thoughts of some of the people I went to school with teaching my children. It is scary! I wish my old teachers could have waited on retiring until my kids were out of school.(Im kidding) Glad that they are getting to enjoy life!

It is hard on most people who work all of their lives and when they get to finally get to retire, they become sick or the toll is taken on them from hard work or stress. It is very common to hear. Or that the people who have worked so hard and made very much less than we do now will not get but maybe a couple of hundres dollars to live on because their base pay was so minimal. Theirs was maybe 1.00 an hr. at an hourly job. Retirement should be as grand as can be! It would be nice to hear someone say that they are traveling the world or finally finished the puzzle they started 20 yrs ago. Ya know what I mean?

LadyGo to Top of Page

native-Blairsvillian

Georgia
94 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  11:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Doc. I went to that website that BigRed posted earlier, and Dennis Bradley is still there, still teaching Metals. If you are curious, my dad is the one that started up that Metal Trades(which used to also be welding) building back in the early 1970's, taught up there on the hill until 1978. A little UCHS history trivia there for ya!!!!

native-BlairsvillianGo to Top of Page

zinger54

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  02:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dip and smoke...... really DOC ? you too? I spent many hours at(or behind) that metals building and went on to become a machinist for 15 yrs.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  08:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THE METALS BUILDING.........MEMORIES.....YEP I SMOKED AND DIPPED DOWN THERE AS WELL...THE FUNNY THING IS MY SON DONE THE SAME...POOR MR.BRADLEY HE WAS SUCH A PATIENT MAN WITH US GIRLS TAKING METALS FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS. BUT I DID LEARM HOW TO ARCH WELD AND CUT OUT THINGYS ON SOME KINDS OF SHEET METAL STUFF...WHEN IT CAME TO FINALS AT THE END OF THE TERM REID CRNEY HELPED ME BLESS HIS HEART. THEN MY GRADE WAS HIGHER THAN HIS. HE WAS ALWAYS A GENT TO ALL OF US LADIES DOWN THERE. SMOKING IN THE BATHROOM DIDNT PAY OFF I GOT CAUGHT WITH THAT ONE...FINALLY MARRIED AND GOT A SMOKING PERMIT THO...YES I AM STILL MARRIED TO THE SAME MAN I MARRIED IN HIGH SCHOOL...19 YEARS AGO. THIS IS COOL GOING BACK IN TIME TO THOSE DAYS OF YOUTH.

Go to Top of Page

cute_lil_country_gal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  8:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Native!
You asked about Max Kelley?!?! She is my aunt! She retired a while back! The bad news is shes got cancer(or did have)! She got really bad along with her husband! I dont know if you know him or not but he Diabeties and he cut his foot and they had to take half of his leg off! Max is doing great now but she was very bad! And had us all worried!Go to Top of Page
nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uh huh I knew that she was your aunt...Hunny! I am glad she is doing better. She was a good teacher and also my homeroom teacher after I married because they went alphabetically with names then for homeroom. But anyway , I hope she stays well. She looks good that last time I seen her at Ingles.

Love and Peace to all....Go to Top of Page

peaches

USA
2914 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  09:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im fused!

**LiL * PeAcH * pEaCh**Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you fused about Peaches?

Max was just starting out when I was in school, she probable kept me in school a few times. She was then and still is a good person. I think its time to tell her thanks.

Most of those who you are talking about retiring were behind me in school, kinda makes me old doesn't it!

whyGo to Top of Page

peaches

USA
2914 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  01:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why.. idk..lol!!

I have a question for u are u a male or female and how old are u?..lol

**LiL * PeAcH * pEaCh**Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah...Why! Your not old ...just 'Experienced' LOL

"For greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world."
Love and Peace to all....Go to Top of Page

babyloo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  2:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Martha Davenport who is at the elementary or primary school is not the Martha Davenport who taught high school biology. I believe Mrs. Davenport might even be in the nursing home now. Billie Young has retired. All the fun ones are gone now, or so it seems.

babylooGo to Top of Page

Country Angel

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  12:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Martha Clark and Jim Clark--DOC is correct about Mrs. Clark, but Mr. Clark isn't part of any of the Union County School's administration or faculty/staff anymore."

Actually this is not correct. Jim Clark is still part of the school system. He is the Building Administrator for the Alternative Education Program.

Go to Top of Page

babyloo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  1:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Clark retired and came back to do half or part time. He is the person down at AEP.

babylooGo to Top of Page

babyloo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  11:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Someone had listed teachers s/he had had. I thought you might want to know that Max Kelley, a great teacher, is not doing too well. She hadn't been retired long until she found out she had bone cancer. I think she broke her arm and that is how she found out. She had a bone marrow transplant from her son and seemed to be doing great. The cancer has come back in her hip!! In doing some of the tests for the cancer, the doctor found out her kidneys are not doing what they should, and she was on dialysis.  I haven't heard lately how she is doing, but not well with all those problems.

Also, Mrs. Lucille Cook, if any of you had her for home ed, is not fairing too well.  I don't know exactly what is the matter with her.  I guess mainly just old age and being worn out. 

babylooGo to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  12:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's sad to hear about Ms. Kelley.

God makes the lightning Bikers make the thunder
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak .
Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  1:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Mrs. Kelly happens to check this forum I want her to know that she probably kept me in school more than once and I still owe her a book.

Peachs, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I'm male and I graduated in 1967, you can ask someone close to you who I am and they can probably show you my picture in an annual.

I have crammed a lot of living in my years, I've seen a lot and did a lot and have enjoyed learning about life by living.

A small part of something I once wrote:

Remember that education,
is not only from a book,
life is a great illustration,
so let the children look.

whyGo to Top of Page

GeorgiaGal

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  7:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's so sad about Mrs. Kelly. What a great, wonderful and caring teacher she was. Both my brother and I had her, and she was always one of our favorite teachers. Thanks Mrs. Kelly for all you did for us students. You always made sure that we "got it".

I had all of these teachers listed on here. My "all time" favorite was Mrs. Bradley. She was always our friend, as well as our teacher.

I do remember Mrs. George and Mrs. Akins.

Go to Top of Page

Lavender

USA
2797 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  8:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is sad news about Max Kelley. She was one of my favorite teachers. Hope she can beat that horrible cancer!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  10:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had heard about this just the other day. God Bless Her! I hate that this dreaded disease has came back on her. She was one of my favorite's also. Ohhh me...the things we talked about in her class. The "odd laws" that were passed during my high school years. AIDS had became an issue. So the "sexual laws" were being passed and we done Updated News Articles. Of course, the teenager in "some of us" made those articles part of our weekly 100 that we got from her. She was a teacher, a friend, and someone who understood life. To the fullest. Max Kelly if you're reading this...Know that you are being prayed for. You are loved. And you were truely an inspiration to so MANY students of UCHS! We love you!

Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.
~Mother Teresa~Go to Top of Page

babyloo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  09:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to let you know that Max Kelley who taught many of US History is not doing well at all.  She is at Emory being treated for cancer.  She had a bone marrow transplant when it first happened, and it seemed to "cure" the problem.  It is back in her hip, and she is on dialysis.  I ask that those of you who had her and loved her for being a wonderful person and teacher will lift her up in prayers.

babylooGo to Top of Page

paprclip22mom

USA
8177 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  11:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Babyloo thanks for the update and prayers are extending.

God makes the lightning Bikers make the thunder
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak .
Go to Top of Page

GeorgiaGal

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  12:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Babyloo~Thank you so much for the update on Mrs. Kelley. That is some sad news. Bless her heart. Prayers going out for her and her family as they deal with this terrible, awful illness.

GO DAWGS!

Edited by - GeorgiaGal on 08/04/2007 12:59:45 AMGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sad to hear about Mrs. Kelly indeed. She's the reason I can recite (at least part of) the preamble to the Declaration of Independence and cultivated my interest in U.S. History.

Alan Denmon was just coming into the school system as I was in my senior year, taking over as band director after Phil Dean left. He's now teaching History and he and his students have a wonderful long term project going where they invited (and maybe are still inviting) past teachers who grew up here and went to the local schools before they all got consolidated.

For example, Mrs. Marie Knight talks about going to Choestoe School when she was young, about high school, about being the first librarian that Union County had, and about knowing Byron Herbert Reece. You can find that interview here: http://168.8.72.8/adenmon/marie_knight.mov

An overview of public education in Union County is given by Mr. Denmon here: http://168.8.72.8/adenmon/school_overview.mov

Other teacher oral histories, as well as cemetary records, are located here: http://168.8.72.8/adenmon/las_projects_page.html#School_Documentaries

What one learns listening to these is how Blairsville and Union County were only one or two generations ago. And why not everyone thinks the changes have all been for the good.

ShadowGo to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy