New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 22 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Downtown Redevelopment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  09:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, are you for or against downtown redevelopment? What would you like to see in downtown Blairsville? What would you change?

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  09:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been coming up to Blairsville at least once a month (or more) for the past 10 years. I spend very little time in downtown Blairsville. I think the downtown needs to become more tourist friendly. More like downtown Blue Ridge. I know that if that happens, there will be a lot of places where locals will not bother to go. But if Blairsville could get more visiters to spend a few hours walking around the downtown, they could get a few more of those tourist dollars to stay there. Right now, I see nothing that makes people want to go to the downtown area on a Saturday afternoon.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  09:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, are you for or against downtown redevelopment? What would you like to see in downtown Blairsville? What would you change?

I wouldn't change a thing! Except something needs to be done about traffic congestion but how's that going to happen? During the week, it's crazy trying to get just to the other side of town! As for wanting it to become like Helen or other surround counties, Nope! Keep it the way it is! October is enough 'attraction' as it is!

I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here...
Go to Top of Page

Nikita04

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  1:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorghum festival will be here before we know it.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  1:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for a nicer downtown area. It's just so dumpy looking. Blairsville is a tourist area, & that's a fact. Make it more user friendly & people will shop more here. I think a nice wine shop on the corner or ice cream shop would be nice. (something besides Mayfield ice cream though) Everyone sells that.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  2:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am for a nicer downtown area too. It could be so pretty with cute shops. I think we need a candy store and I am all for an ice cream place (low carb too) Nice places to eat! The old lightening place would have made a great restaurant.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  2:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love to see a nicer downtown also, but in such a way as to keep the small town look...and work the traffic flow problems.

GrayEagle
"I am an American! I am not a White-American, African-American, Cuban-American, or any other hyphenated-American!"Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  2:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Downtown blue ridge looked terrible when I first moved here. All the stores were going out of business. Now look how cute it is and the traffic is not that bad for the two blocks that has the most stores. I guess it just has to start one store at a time. I wish the pawn shops would move a little further out of town and that old car dealership looks terrible. It needs to be torn down.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wish the pawn shops would move a little further out of town and that old car dealership looks terrible. It needs to be torn down.

How about redeveloping it into something that looks nice? I don't know how old it is, but it might be something that has some B'Ville history and memories that need to be saved.

Tear down and rebuild can lead to the loss of some important history.

GrayEagle
"I am an American! I am not a White-American, African-American, Cuban-American, or any other hyphenated-American!"Go to Top of Page

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  5:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I would like to see all large commercial trucks banned from driving through town, make them use the by-pass. I would like to see nice little shops, a bakery, restaurants, antique stores; make it a place you would want to spend an afternoon walking around. And I would definitely like to see it become more pedestrian-friendly with sidewalks to encourage people to explore beyond the town square, down side streets, etc. What comes to mind is downtown Dahlonega. It's not like Helen with all those "you've see one, you've seen them all" tourist-y shops. Wouldn't it be nice to drive downtown, have dinner, walk around looking in shops and then wind up the evening at the ice cream parlor? I know a lot of locals don't like tourists but they do come here and they spend a LOT of money here. Give them a reason to spend more.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  5:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolultely agree with Jim. Next chance yuns get, take a look at what Murphys has done. "RESTORED" and car's are once again parked everywhere and business is good!

As for them locals who wont go .. well, they will go somewhere else to get this or that or whatever and so, their time and money.

I wonder what will become Westgate Mini Mall. All thems a movin! Is UCB gonna buy that too?hmmm

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 08/26/2005 5:47:34 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gray that old car dealership is rotten and falling apart. There are just a bunch of old bays. I can't think how it could be restored. Lamar's place needs to be repaved an all the junk cars hauled away. I like the ideas the Luv has. Dahlonga is a nice town, downtown and is similar traffic wise as our downtown. They have the courthouse in the middle too.

Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  6:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Downtown Development Authority is holding it's first "Town Hall Meeting" on September 12th at 6:30 in the Junior Brackett room at United Community Bank. The public is invited and encouraged to attend to offer their ideas on the direction that the development of the downtown should take. Local merchants are donating free food for the event! So, if you're interested in what's happening in the downtown area, go by and put your two cents in! (and eat too!)

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  7:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Downtown, when are they going to do something with that adorable building that Magic Mountain Gifts was?

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  08:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
First, I would like to see all large commercial trucks banned from driving through town, make them use the by-pass.

Why?

This issue has been raised many times before, and I have no doubt that it will again.
I'm just curious as to why people seem to have a problem with the trucks coming thru town.

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  09:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the Commissioner's April 27, 2005 Questions and Answers:

Q. Why donít big trucks use the by-pass instead of going through town?
A. US Hwy 19/129 goes through the middle of Blairsville and around the historic courthouse. This is a federal/state highway and since there is not another federal or state highway available, it is not possible to limit their use.

The Gooch By-Pass, although labeled as a truck route and available for use as a truck route, is only a county road-not a state or federal highway. Therefore, there can be no routing required to keep big trucks out of downtown. Georgia Department of Transportation does have a Blairsville By-Pass on their future project list, but the soonest it is likely to happen would be between 2009 and 2012.

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV!

Edited by - ShadowMan on 08/27/2005 09:05:43 AMGo to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  09:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting that Shadow!!

~*Topaz*~Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My hubby works SMACK dab in the middle of town and alot of those big commercial trucks are also going to stock the lumber and windows and all the accessories for all these new homes. That's why you see alot of those trucks in the middle of town.

I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here...
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true. Big trucks are going to Builder's Firstsource on a daily basis. I knw about the meeting on spt. 12th, I saw it in the paper. There was a large antique store on the square for a while, but it just didn't seem to catch on. I think several of the building are for sale. If only the city had the money to buy them and rent them out to places like bakerys, eating places, antique places, candy making places. The candy stores in Gatlinburg never go out of business.

Go to Top of Page

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trucks I was referring to are not those making pick ups and deliveries. It is those that are just passing through to get to the 4 lane or to continue north on 19/129.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know. We use to sit at the Village and watch huge lumber trucks come thru the old courhouse area.

Go to Top of Page

luvngamtns

309 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  12:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that added to the dining experience, didn't it?!!?

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bit!! But we did enjoy looking at the old courthouse and the new clock tower!!

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  2:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a true dining experience...you need to be on the INSIDE of one of them trucks!
And depending on what stretch of highway you happen to be rolling down...the views from the dining room windows ain't too bad neither!
Yes, our family's bread and butter comes from one of them BIG trucks...so I'm all for the dining experience that we get from it!!

~*Topaz*~

Edited by - topaz on 08/27/2005 2:46:39 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you Topaz. My best friend's husband drives a big truck too. But I still think downtown could use a little dressing up and some new shops.

Go to Top of Page

slyder_24

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have been coming up to Blairsville at least once a month (or more) for the past 10 years. I spend very little time in downtown Blairsville. I think the downtown needs to become more tourist friendly. More like downtown Blue Ridge. I know that if that happens, there will be a lot of places where locals will not bother to go. But if Blairsville could get more visiters to spend a few hours walking around the downtown, they could get a few more of those tourist dollars to stay there. Right now, I see nothing that makes people want to go to the downtown area on a Saturday afternoon.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy