New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Georgians Need Summers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  8:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This won't help this coming year, but possibly next. I can tell you that from a store owner, we suffer when it comes to August now. Everyone flocks back to go to school. It's harder to go anywhere on a family vacation when you have only 8 weeks time frame, along with a million other people trying to plan the same trip in the same destination. Hotels are booked out early, jam packed areas, unsafe road travel with everyone trying to cram the summer all in.
We used to start school the week of Labor Day, & get out the first week of June. We all turned out all right!
There's a petition to sign if you're interested. FYI, our friends in Atlanta said they had enough parents that went to the school board when they were planning the calendar for this year & while they said they wanted to have the kids start August 1st, they pushed it back till the 15th because of all the parents complaints.

www.georgiansneedsummers.com

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  10:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to start around the last few days of August and got out by the end of May. We didnt get a week off in the fall or as long at Christmas or a two week spring break. They should wait till after Labor Day to start, get off two days at Thanksgiving and two weeks at Christmas and maybe a week for Spring Break. This being out two weeks and then going back for five weeks and school being out after that is just ridiculous. They definitely does not need to be a two week spring break. I think it makes it hard on the working mothers to find childcare for two weeks here and a week there every couple of months. AND MIDDLE SCHOOL NEEDS TO HAVE BREAKS!

I'd rather be hated for who I am than beloved for something I'm not.Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  10:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Puddin, the way we used to have school was the way I think these kids need it now. Instead of 'trying' to pattern our school like 'other states' do is becoming a problem and WILL eventually end up being year round in a few years. Done heard it and even heard SOMEONE deny that it was but also talked to someone who said...YEP! It's going to come..their graduaally sneakin this in little by little.

For young learners, it's hard on them to be off two weeks then the teachers EXPECT them to know where they left off. To me it's very disfunctional to expect a child to follow such weird 'on/off' schedules that our school is having. Now mine are almost to the point that it doesn't matter anymore because they soon will both be out. But what I see is Blairsville schools 'trying' to copy cat what OTHERS do. It just isn't going to work in an area that has very little day care for working mothers or an area that does not have the 'fundamentals' that cities have for youth.

And while we are on the school subject, I have suggested many times that these teachers need to be screened on WHAT they KNOW. Too many seniors failed their Grad Test and this makes the second year in a row and that teacher that taught the subject these kids are failing is being allowed to stay in this school system when she actually needs to be in another kind of system. Other teachers have noted this and have even complained on her teachin techniques. I have already had it documented in Lil man's records the end of this past year that he was NOT to ever get her in ANY shape or form for any academic class in the rest of his days in Union Co High School. It has ruined many scholarships due to her lack of work or interest in the importance that these kids learn what they haveto know on these tests in order to Graduate with a Diploma instead of the fake walk and talk. It's sad. Ok...I have fumed enough. Oh Yea...They keep puttin her in different schools...Ele Pri then Middle now High..GIve me a break! Get rid of her! Names don't mean a thing when it comes to our kids future and that is all she stands on is her 'Name'!

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  10:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maddy, Im so ticked right now.lol Im laughing and thats perdy darned ticked! I got on a role and yes I signed that thang!

I do believe that the schools push these kids too hard. Yes my daughter is in 21st Century but my other daughter is burned out already! Thats sad! Shes 8!

I feel they push these kids as if they were booting them for career oriented!

I feel that by pushing family time away from them and focusing so hard on attendance that they are taking away morals and values that hold familys together. The more these kids are away from family time and what really makes the home work outside of jobs making a gross income the worseoff they will be when they try to establish their own family and home life. The divorce rate will be worse, and by the time our kids are in high school, lots will be so burned out and so pushed to the point they will drop out sending welfare and unemployement skyrocketing! There will be more drug abuse as it has grown in todays world. Pot is no longer the drug worry, Crank and Crack to push peoplesbody to go further and further is the drug of today, can yuns imagine the stress on these kids when they become adults? This world is going to be scary and we can thank the people who push these childrens outta the house hold and into the stress of doing better career wise cause thats all they will know if they arent burned out by the time they graduate IF they do!

Now, I know to each their own now, but the schools take 30% off the entire grade average if a student misses a day that they have listed as unexcused. If cousin to brother Daryll and other brother Daryll dies of cancer or a wreck, not excused. 30%. If mom aint got nobody to watch the kids and doctors appts. for sister or brother interupt cause no one can get the other kid after school, the poor kid is the one suffering. Its crazy. Plumb crazy! How can people be so relaxed about this? Cause they bring home a check, naw, I know teachers who disagree with this as well. Cause they have no children or theirs is grown - maybe so. Or maybe it is because if they dont agree, they will not get the raise in salary for over acheivement made by the school and wont get that certificate and name on top of the page.
All I know is Maddy, Im so glad you brought this to the table!

I worry bought my kids and I know they DO need education! God have mercy do I ever! I also know they need family enviroment, appreciation and shown individuality! Not just to be one of the ones who attends the school that had more merits for having the most kids who went long periods in school!
The principle made it ever clear that they are striving so hard to make that list at the top of Georgias merits! Strive for these kids to be kids!

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi

Edited by - daughterofconfederate on 06/21/2005 01:18:20 AMGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  12:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I had no idea, that's terrible, summer is where childhood memories are made. That's family time, plus with half of the world divorced kids need to have time to visit their other parents.

Kids need a summer to talk themselves into believing they miss school and their friends at school.

That really messes up Family camping, trips, memories.

Everyone must sign that thing.

Cherry BlossomGo to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  08:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree. My son starts back on August 15th. That is still the middle of the summer! I never went back to school until Labor day.

My sister lives in New England, and het kids do not go back until Labor day. But then, they are still in school now. (They get out this week.)

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As your children progress on through the years ...Begin watching their 'emotional stability' and see if you notice how 'stressed' they get. I have one that has already graduated and he has a different personality and wasn't as 'fragile' as some but When you have those who are 'fragile' to different atmospheres and personalities or expectations that SEEM rather harsh for little ones...You will start seeing alot of 'Un needed stress' in a child that just shouldn't be there at such a young age. Even the doctors are seeing too many 'stressed out kids' that are being put on this med or that med to cope in life. Now that's not a childhood! Our kids are going through more and more in their adolescent and teen years than some grown ups went through. Due to divorce, financially stressed families and teachers who are expecting YOUR child to walk in 'THEIR' room and be an adult. Some children do have chemical imbalances that's true..but I have watched several others become even suicidal and that scares me. These are kids that are in a good home, raised in church, but on the inside they just dont think they can meet to the 'School's expectations'...I know this has nothing to do with 'Summer for Georgians' but we as parents at Union County need to make a stand for our childrens' emotional health just as much as their education. Without emotional stability...then you won't have academic ability or security. I took a stand with my last two in school this past year when I seen 'what' the problem was. I did it for both of my kids that are still in school. We often let our kids ride the carpet with all the rest but each child requires different needs and differnt approaches to learning and copin in todays society. They also deserve to be treated with respect in school just as we want in our lives.

I went to the high school the last few weeks before school was out and RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HALLWAYS WAS A PAPER OF ALL THOSE WHO OWED MONEY ON THEIR GRADUATION STUFF....NOW LET ME ASK YOU...HOW WOULD WE FEEL AS AN ADULT IF OUR 'MONEY PROBLEMS' WERE POSTED ALL OVER THE BILLBOARDS IN BLAIRSVILLE? I thought that was so sad and humiliating for those whose names were on that list. Those kids were minors not legal adults responsible for their parents not having the money. I guess I get my tail feathers ruffled a bit when it comes to School Systems being run like a bank and like an 'institution for criminals' ....Kids HAVE to be kids whether their 5 or 15...Yes with 'rules' but not with humilation on their part due to someone else's lack of or inability of.

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all of you. I started school after labor day and got out the first week in January. We didn't call it spring break, we called it easter break and we got three days off, thurs. and Friday before easter sunday and Monday after. That was it. We got about a week off around christmas. As long as we had a signed excuse from our parent, for any reason, nothing was ever held against us. I made good grades and once in a while, I did not go to school for no good reason. My mother always wrote me an excuse and everything was ok.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
For young learners, it's hard on them to be off two weeks then the teachers EXPECT them to know where they left off.

If two weeks is difficult, just imagine what the effect of being out of school for three months is! A large part of what they're driving the schedule towards is to reduce the impact of the summer vacation on progressing the students' knowledge toward the graduation requirements.

The first part of the school year is spent in a remediation mode, teaching the kids again what they learned in the last quarter before the summer vacation began.

If you recall your own school days, (in general) there was only a couple of standardized tests and those tended to be focused on the later high school years. What mattered instead was the amount of hours spent in each subject and the grade received. Unfortunately, schools became soft on grading and handed out higher grades than the student earned in order to appease parents complaining about little Johnny not making it to the next grade. Grades were no longer a good inidication of whether a student was learning anything. Lots of well-pubicized cases of students getting to college and not being able to read and write began the era of formalized testing programs, first for every few grades, and now with practically every grade. Since the emphasis in the tests is what was learned, it's in the schools' best interest (and funding) to minimize anything that affects the knowledge retention of their charges. In short, these are not the same schools you went to.

I'm not a big fan of year round schooling. But the current schedule seems like an acceptable compromise between year-round desires of school personnel (who are trying - required even - to meet state mandated test targets) and the summer vacation desires (and memories) of parents.

Psst...Lady...not picking on you, ya know. Your words were the ones that best acted as a lead in for my countering view though!

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV!

Edited by - ShadowMan on 06/22/2005 12:15:56 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow has some very good points. School was much tougher when i went. I did homework 8 hours a night. No one was passed unless they earned it. If you could not read, you were put in a special class. I had a friend who's cousin was in jr. high when I got there and still there when I graduated. She was 22.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  07:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pssssst! Shader! *laughing out loud* literally! I just now read this and 'FOR SOME REASON' you always make me see the alternative and it's usually right before my eyes anyway! No offense taken! Member your My Hero!

What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity.Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  6:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate everyone has an opinion and no two are alike, but kids must be kids. Life as an adult is difficult let them enjoy life while they can.

I realize they need to prepare for the serious nature of grown up life, but summers meant the world to me, I never missed school, I was always on Honor Roll and got great grades, I loved school. However my life was rooted in Family time, camping, boating, vacations, quality time.

I do not believe children are machines to be programed they need a break, it is in their nature to make believe, fantasize, use their imagination. They need a break from serious life for lengths of time in order to find their true selves.

My opinion. I enjoyed my childhood and would not replace it with more structured school time and less contemplative, imaginative, creative time.

Cherry Blossom

Edited by - Cherry Blossom on 06/23/2005 6:39:54 PMGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  6:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Additionally let's think of the people who hate school, who get harrassed, made fun of, would rather die than go to school in the morning, not like me, but I empathize with them.

They need a long summer to get up the courage to encounter additional cruelty. To work up some gumption.

Just a thought on their part.

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  2:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sanctuary of Summertime

By: Angela Gillaspie 2005 All Rights Reserved

http://www.southernangel.com/redneck/sanctuary.html

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I agreed with this at one time - I will have to take that back. My kids love 21st Century program cause they get to go on sooo many field trips and be with their cool and nifty lil best friends too. So there, I am taking it back cause my girls dig this summer program that we are blessed to have. :)

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy