New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 28 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Support the Troops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
blairsville4

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  4:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit blairsville4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There will be a Support the Troops Fundraising Dinner on Friday June 17 at 6:30pm in Young Harris. It will take place at Moschetto's the new restaurant where the Blimpie's used to be. The event will be a semi-formal, banquet style dinner. All proceeds will go toward sending packages to our overseas troops. The keynote speaker will be Command Sgt Major Jim Hussey from Senator Saxby Chambliss' staff. Tickets are $25 per person and can be purchased at the Pack & Ship in Blairsville, near the Post Office. For more information or to make reservations call Beverly at: 706.745.6682 or email: conservativecountry@yahoo.com.
Our troops must know that we support them and the best way to do that is by sending them items that they can't get over there along with letters from home.

The event will be hosted by The Conservative Country Coalition, an organization whose purpose is to promote and protect conservative values on the Blue Ridge Mountain Region. Visit: conservativecountry.org for more info.

Thanks for Supporting our Troops!

Sith_Lord

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  9:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone needs to send those guys some window a/c units. The government can afford to spend $10000 per soldier for an M4-Carbine, yet, they won't give the time or money to go to Home Depot and buy some window units. IT'S 120 DEGREES OVER THERE! LET MY TAX DOLLARS SHOW LOVE!

-Sith Lord-Go to Top of Page

blairsville4

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  3:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit blairsville4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a great idea. If we raise sufficient funds, maybe we'll do it. Can we count on you to come and support the troops on the 17th, Sith Lord?
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm igmorant to the fact of this...but if we can rebuild another country...can we not keep our soldier's comfortable also?

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  5:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently not, the soldiers have to depend on their families to send them the things that they need.

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Maybe I'm igmorant to the fact of this...but if we can rebuild another country...can we not keep our soldier's comfortable also?

Pffft... our politicians would rather make the soldiers eat the dirt and cover their stories by saying 'NOOOOOO! We love the Iraqi people, so we're going to build them a waterpark! *smiles for the press*"

-Sith Lord-Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  1:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is just terrible!!

Go to Top of Page

blairsville4

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  1:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit blairsville4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone is getting political. Supporting the Troops is not about politics. Even if the government was able to provide the troops with everything they needed and more, the government could not replace the impact that packages and letters from home make on our troops. Our soldiers do not complain, but they do appreciate packages from home more than you may realize.
Please support our troops.
Can I count on you.
Thanks and God Bless You!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  1:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Soory B4 but I wasn't being political...As I said I am ignorant to the fact of how this goes. Which means...I don't know the first thing about politics and to be honest...I am not interested in politics but I will say I have helped supported the troops in other areas in differnt ways! Thank you! And GOd Bless you too!

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  4:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Folks, we are at war. Iraq is a war zone. It is not the Hilton. These men and women are there because they enlisted (they are volunteers). There is disconfort in war. AC or the such is not a requirement, but a nice to have.

And yes, I do know what it is like to be in the Army and be uncomfortable. I have slept on the ground and in tents. I have been there in the heat and cold.

These men and women are doing their jobs. To say that they must depend on their famlies to send them the "things that they need" is a complete misunderstanding of what is needed in a war zone!

Yes, they appreciate "care-packages" from home. And that is what they are: Care-packages from home.

Things that they NEED is being supplied by DoD. Things that you think might be nice to have could be supplied by you.

Sorry for the soap-box, but I have spent 20 years on active duty in the Army and over 15 years supporting our military as a civilian.

GrayEagle
"It is your choice so: Make this a Wonderful Day!"Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From todays Gary Bauer's newletter:

"Ben Stein's Awakening

You may be familiar with commentator, actor and author Ben Stein. No stranger to politics, Ben has written extensively about Hollywood, Wall Street and Washington. Among his many works was an online column, Monday Night At Morton's, about the "rich and famous" he would see at that Hollywood restaurant. I am including some excerpts below from his final column, written in December of 2003, because of the powerful point he makes.

"I no longer think Hollywood stars are terribly important. They are uniformly pleasant, friendly people, and they treat me better than I deserve to be treated. But a man or a woman who makes a huge wage for memorizing lines and reciting them in front of a camera is no longer my idea of a shining star we should all look up to.

"They can be interesting, nice people, but they are not heroes to me any longer. A real star is the soldier of the 4th Infantry Division who poked his head into a hole on a farm near Tikrit, Iraq. He could have been met by a bomb or a hail of AK-47 bullets. Instead, he faced an abject Saddam Hussein and the gratitude of all of the decent people of the world.

"A real star, the kind who haunts my memory night and day, is the U.S. soldier in Baghdad who saw a little girl playing with a piece of unexploded ordnance on a street near where he was guarding a station. He pushed her aside and threw himself on it just as it exploded. He left a family desolate in California and a little girl alive in Baghdad.

"We put couples with incomes of $100 million a year on the covers of our magazines. The noncoms and officers who barely scrape by on military pay but stand on guard in Afghanistan and Iraq and on ships and in submarines and near the Arctic Circle are anonymous as they live and die.

"I am no longer comfortable being a part of the system that has such poor values, and I do not want to perpetuate those values by pretending that who is eating at Morton's is a big subject.

"There are plenty of other stars in the American firmament...the policemen and women who go off on patrol in South Central and have no idea if they will return alive; the orderlies and paramedics who bring in people who have been in terrible accidents and prepare them for surgery; the teachers and nurses who throw their whole spirits into caring for autistic children; the kind men and women who work in hospices and in cancer wards.

"Think of each and every fireman who was running up the stairs at the World Trade Center as the towers began to collapse. Now you have my idea of a real hero." "

GrayEagle
"Everything with God and nothing without Him" Johann Anton MyliusGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  6:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that, Gray.

Go to Top of Page

blairsville4

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  2:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit blairsville4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's very good Eagle.
Our soldiers are heroes. Unfortunately they are often unsung heroes. There is nothing so moving as the appreciation that registers on a soldiers face when they are shown gratitude for their service.

I never spend $25 on a meal, but this time I think its worth it.

God Bless You All!

Go to Top of Page

wranger

94 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  2:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. Sign me up! I'll get over to the Pack & Ship as soon as I can.
Thanks for your good work.

Go to Top of Page

GrayEagle

USA
9966 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  2:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrayEagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kinda hard for me to attend down here in Miami...But have a great evening!!

GrayEagle
"Everything with God and nothing without Him" Johann Anton MyliusGo to Top of Page

Jeepbuddy

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The event will be hosted by The Conservative Country Coalition, an organization whose purpose is to promote and protect conservative values on the Blue Ridge Mountain Region. Visit: conservativecountry.org for more info."

Sorry Blairsville4, but you MADE it political! Next time you want to support the troops, leave politics out of it.

The Truth Shall Set You Free!Go to Top of Page

Jeepbuddy

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid that I have never seen Shadowman address an issue on here but I do see him consistently deflect any issue he disagrees with by attacking the author. I would prefer to see him actually provide substance and thought-provoking material rather than attempt to discredit the argument by attempting to discredit the author. Maybe he got his clue from Karl Rove.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." FDRGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you cherry-pick the topics, then yes, I might appear to come across that way. I don't believe it's a consistent method of mine though.

If a person comes on here and puts a contentious post on each thread they participate in with nary a "how do you do", I'm liable to think their intentions were not to discuss issues, but rather to provoke an argument. And I'll respond accordingly.

But you'll note in the "Beer and wine sale" thread, I did think you were sincere and responded in kind.

I'll watch my interaction going forward and see if I can agree with you later. Now, how about that "How do you do?"

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV!

Edited by - ShadowMan on 09/01/2005 12:00:24 PMGo to Top of Page

blairsville4

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  1:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit blairsville4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeepbuddy,
The event WAS on June 17 and WAS highly successful. 25 packages were sent to our troops serving overseas. The Coalition is a conservative group but our main focus has been and will remain supporting our troops until they all come home.
Supporting our Troops is NOT about politics. If you had bothered to attend the event you would have seen that there were no politics brought up at all. Some who came support the war some who came do not. I don't appreciate you trying to undermine our efforts to support our heroes. If a local liberal group wants to host support the troops efforts, I will glady support them as long as the focus is on the troops and NOT on the politics of the war.

Go to Top of Page

Jeepbuddy

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  7:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blairsville4, if you have read my posts, you would see that I am a veteran and that my son is in Iraq. So, I'm not against anyone supporting the troops. Of course I do.

What I was commenting on in my original post was your comment that the issue had become political on here. I just pointed out that the way you posted your original invitation looked very political so I didn't think it should have surprised you that others thought it was political. I appreciate your clarification. Next time you have such an event, let me know, I'll attend. I wasn't here in June or I would have attended that fundraiser as well.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." FDRGo to Top of Page

blairsville4

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  11:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit blairsville4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeepbuddy,
We're in luck. There will be a Support the Troops event this Saturday, Sept. 17 at Meeks Park. It is called the Mountain Freedom Festival and runs from 2-7pm. There will be booths, carnival games, speeches, karoake, concerts, an honor gaurd ceremony and a live radio broadcast and lots of food! Admissionis $5 per person-Kids 12 and under FREE. All proceeds will go towards sending packages to our overseas troops.

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy