New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 9 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 No smoking in GA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  9:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to all the smokers here, but I personally love my lungs & am very happy right now.
Senate passes smoking ban
Posted at: Thursday, March 4, 2004, 02:15 PM

A statewide ban on indoor smoking, including restaurants and bars, overwhelmingly passed in the Senate Thursday.

“It’s time to take action to allow every Georgian the right to breath smoke-free air,” said Sen. Don Thomas (R-Dalton), sponsor of the bill. Thomas, a doctor for more than 40 years, argued the bill would help all Georgians by reducing the state’s Medicaid costs for smoking-related illnesses and perhaps encourage current smokers to light up less frequently.

The ban passed 45-7, with relatively little debate.

Some amendments to the bill’s original language also passed, including a provision that excludes small businesses that are not restaurants or bars from the ban. As a result, private businesses with seven or fewer employees, such as small offices, could allow indoor smoking.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  12:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok...It passed in March so when does this go into affect? It won't affect me anyway....I dont eat out that much and with my job I smoke while driving...Wonder if they'll pass a law to stop smoking in our own cars before long?

I do know that the college had a meeting on having a 'Smoke Free Campus' but it hasn't been enforced yet...We just have to go out to the beautiful gazebos that they built for the smokers away from the building. So I guess when it does pass we will have to go to our cars..Probably. But yes..when someone isn't a smoker..they shouldn't have to endure other's smoke..I am in agreement with you on that Maddy! I really am! I dont smoke in other's cars or homes nor do I ask too...if they aren't a smoker...I might be a puffer but I am a respectful puffer..if their is such a thing...

"Frequently, the destination is an anticlimax, but the journey … helps us change our life forever."
Bill Irwin (the blind man who hiked the entire Appalachian trail)Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  12:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's effective July 1. Wonder what the hole in the wall is going to do?!

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  10:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that it's rude to subject someone to your smoke if they are not a willing participant, however I believe if someone owns their own business it should be their choice and a note should appear on the door so the customers can choose to enter or not.

If someone has a social place, a bowling alley, a pool hall, a pub, those are environments where people socially smoke, they should have the choice.

My opinion.

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a smoker, and yes Cherry. I know lots that dont respect non smokers. So either way, Im fine with it.

My great Aunt wont go places you cant smoke. She is limited to places to go. I like fresh air too so I am not gonna complain.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  12:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the law allow smoking in restaurants and bars that allow it? I was thinking of Hole in the Wall and the Blairsville restaurant. The Village lost some customers when they went no smoking.

Go to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoking will be allowed only in bars and restaurants that do not allow anyone under 18 to enter.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than beloved for something I'm not.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  1:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the answer. i guess that means there will be no smoking in any of our restaurants because they are not going to turn away people with children.

Go to Top of Page

sentinel

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  1:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for the answer. i guess that means there will be no smoking in any of our restaurants because they are not going to turn away people with children.

What if one did? They would certainly have the market cornered. It would be the first 18+ breakfast and lunch restaraunt!

Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  2:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like something that "Soup 2 Nutz Cafe" place should consider.

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV! Go to Top of Page

Echelon

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  4:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echelon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now if they could only outlaw pollen...

"All that is not eternal is eternally useless"
~C.S. LewisGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  11:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some fine restaurants that do not allow children, I believe. of course, they are not around here.

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can see it now; prison overcrowdings due to an abundance of smokers. So... if a guy on death row requests a last smoke, does that lengthen his sentance?

-Sith Lord-Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lucky for him, it's not a public place!

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV!

Edited by - ShadowMan on 05/24/2005 10:21:00 PMGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL! Shadow! If ya'll want to see ill 'smokers'...You should of been around them detainees when they banned them from smoking for awhile. They were everyone so ill! And the good ones got to come out and do 'duties' at certain county buildings and I seen them literally pick the cigarette butts out of the ashtrays...which most were mine cause I was the only one that smoked at this one certain facility! ANd I used to give them cig's but ...Me and another girl had to go to training on 'how to handle and deal with the detainees' and I got told right quick like that it was contraband if I gave them anything and I would be committing a felony! So...

I did get to meet an Entertainer that was in the detention center here...He is the lead singer of 'Rats In the Attic'...If that still exists...They did have their own website...He could make a piano walk and talk! And could sing any song that was requested! Even Eric Clapton! He dedicated 'Wonderful Tonight' to me one day at lunch. He was a sweetie! He later got out of the center and came by with his 'hunny' and paid me back for all the things he borrowed during his stay! He tours everywhere the last I heard...and has been to Helen to play at one of them places there...Ok...I babbled enough! Here is their website...He is the fourth one to the right.

http://www.feenstra.co.uk/bands/ratsintheattic/ratsintheattic.htm
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

Edited by - nativelady on 05/24/2005 11:17:07 PM

Edited by - nativelady on 05/24/2005 11:35:15 PMGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  10:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to jail for giving a detainee a cigarette, I will come and see you Native!!

Go to Top of Page

peaches

USA
2914 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  9:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This law hasnt passed in NC!! I went to hayesville with my boyfried and his aunt and you dont know how good it felt to SMOKE IN THE HUDDLE HOUSE!!! HAHA! so i need to eat in Nc more!

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•. .... ♥PeAcHy♥Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  10:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true, Peaches, you can smoke in North Carolina although when we ate at Doyles, I did not see any smoking.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  12:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed tonite at the Waffle house that this ban has not hurt many establishments it dont look like. People still go to eat which is good for the restrs. :)

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy