New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Tour de Georgia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 5
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  7:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So...for my first official posting. What do you guys think about the Tour de Georgia? I know that it brings in tourism dollars, but it also costs a lot of money to put everything on.

I plan to be on top of the Bald when Lance leads the way to the top!

Some people grin and bear it - Others smile and change it

Rouge

USA
4350 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  7:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome electra. sorry, But Lance retired as of today. Really

.......KISS.....

Rouge

Go to Top of Page

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  7:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Lance is retiring - AFTER the 2005 Tour de France. He will be at the TDG and I will be cheering for him

I have heard this rumor repeatedly...it is like people don't want him to participate in the TDG?!?! IMHO he is the big draw!

Some people grin and bear it - Others smile and change itGo to Top of Page

Rouge

USA
4350 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  7:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
electra, Don't get in Sherly Crow's way

......KISS.....

Rouge

Go to Top of Page

electra

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  7:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit electra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hee hee, nope - don't want to be on the front page of the newspaper in a catfight with Miss Crow

Some people grin and bear it - Others smile and change itGo to Top of Page

Cherry Blossom

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't want that now, but She does not have a ring yet as far as I know?

Cherry Blossom

Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  8:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know when they will be where? Not sure if we will be around. But if so, I would like to see it.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  9:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detailed info for times and places in Union Co.

Stage 4-(FRIDAY)Dalton to Dahlonega/Approx times are entering around Woody Gap around 1:07-1:37.
Neels Gap 1:45-2:22
Wolf Pen Gap 2:06-2:47
Woody Gap-2:16-2:58
Leave Union Co 2:21-3:03
The first time is going 28 Mph, 2nd time is 24Mph.
Stage 5-Sat-Gainesville to Brasstown Bald
Enter Union Co right onto Hwy 180 from Hwy 348, past Walnut Springs, left onto Spur 180 3:46-4:38
They'll be doing the brasstown summit from 4:06-4:46
Stage 6-Blairsville to Alpharetta
Nuetral Lap of 4.1 miles will begin Stage 6 at 12:30pm at Meeks Park.
Right onto Hwy 129/11/19, Left on Blue Ridge Street, around square, right on Wellborne, left onto Glen Gooch Bypass, left onto Hwy 515, pass Meeks park.
Official Race will begin after the 4.1 miles, left on Airport Rd, right on Blue ridge hwy, left onto skeenah gap rd, leave Union Co around 1:08/1:10pm.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  9:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
April 23, this Saturday, they start in Gainesville and end up on Brasstown Bald somewhere between 4:00 and 5:00pm.

April 24, they start from Blairsville and head to Alpharetta. Sunday's race starts at Meeks Park at 12:30pm.

More info on the race can be found at: http://www.tourdegeorgia.com/2005/the_race/race_overview.html

Shadow

Yay! Maddy got it posted here too!

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV!

Edited by - ShadowMan on 04/18/2005 9:17:52 PMGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  9:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why didn't I put that link there instead of typing my fingers to the bone?! Duh!!
The Tour De Ga Souvenir Program will be in the NGN this week. There's some nice ads in there!!

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  9:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's information about a cookout up at Neels Gap on Friday under the "classified" section. Come one, come all!

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  5:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I support the Tour De Georgia. There. I've said it. I don't watch bicycling, have barely paid attention to what Lance Armstrong does over there in France, and everything I know about bicycle racing is from watching the movies "Breaking Away" and "The Triplets of Belleville".

I also support the Sorghum Festival, the Jazz Festival, and to a lesser extent, the Scottish Festival (sorry, we each have our interests - this isn't one of mine).

It's the same thing, in my mind, as inviting folks over for dinner. In doing so, you provide hospitality, company, and perhaps even show off a little. Sure, it costs a little. Have to spend a little more on ingredients to get that dish just right. But that's a one time thing, and it is often paid back in kind.

Someone has said that the majority of Union County citizens do not support the Tour De Georgia. It's an intrusion, says he! Blocking roads, tying up state and local personnel. Wow. I've seen the weather tie up roads and block driveways and tie up personnel for far longer than the 30-45 minute rolling roadblock will. Why no full page ads for that? Ah, because this is a pleasant, chosen, activity instead of an act of God (using the insurance term for such weather).

I'm usually one to say "Lower my taxes - don't spend unnecessary tax dollars". But this "Tour De Georgia" is the equivalent of inviting our friends from other parts of the state (or from other states) to our home to enjoy the scenery, experience the beauty of the North Georgia Mountains, and maybe have a bite or two to eat with us. That's not just being neighborly, it's who we are!

I imagine our Commissioner will try to determine the economic impact of this race to see whether it was positive and how significant it might have been. But I already expect the sponsors will say afterwards "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Shadow

FWIW, JOMO. YMMV! Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  6:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well spoken, Shadow! I'm also 100% behind inviting these folks into Blairsville for a little Blairsvillian hospitality!

A simple act of kindness.....pass it onGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  6:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES I AGREE TOO~! I support it as well and not just because Lance but we need to be more involved in such activitys and support athletic events.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  10:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say, "Letter to the Editor" shadow!! You tell 'em! No one complains about the tractors tying up traffic on school mornings going down a Hwy. But, let someone come riding through on a bike & all Hell breaks loose!

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  11:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read that in the car while waiting on hunny grocery shop for me! My Lord, if all anyone has to do is bicker about this bike thang... They have got to be desprite for something to complain about!

YES I COMPLAIN WHEN THE PUT THEMSELVES AND US IN DANGER AS FAR AS THAT MOUNTAIN GOES BUT MY LORD, LETS STOP THE OLYMPICS BECAUSE THEM RUNNERS RUN TO FAST! errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.

Saint Francis of Assisi
Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  12:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Shadow!!!! Yes, I also support it!!! Let's show them some Good ole' Southern Hospitality!!

Go to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  07:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good points Shadow! I have nothing against them or in all honesty...I really am not into it but I am proud of them. So...But I do know how testy people get as I am sure Maddy does..when I worked up there on that mountain. Goodness me...It got plumb 'tense' at times with drivers and cyclists but ya know...Most of them mountain riders were 'lookers' themselves...so they needed to stop and smell the roses some.

I don't suppose I will be out that day...Not into crowds and traffic anymore...but definetly hope they have a good 'Tour'...and seems the weather will help too...it's gonna be cool...So they won't get too heated on their paths here.

"I believe that everything happens for a reason, but I think it's important to seek out that reason - that's how we learn."
~ Drew Barrymore.
Love and Peace to all...Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  1:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you see the big whole page ad in this week's paper against tour de france? What do you think??

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  1:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's great information! I love the ads too!!

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant the big personal ad that one guy put in, he is totally against the tour de france and is going to publish all the names of the people that are helping out.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  2:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mean tour de georgia, see how much I know about it.

Go to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  2:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I didn't see that. I'll personally send a full page THANK YOU to all the people helping out!!

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  4:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read RON D. BROWN's full page Warning on the Tour De Georgia. What an idiot! He's a terrorist in my book & should be arrested for his threats. There's more money coming into this town this weekend & people actually getting involved in this community than I've seen in the 4 years I've lived here.

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  6:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to turn this around to a more positive direction...I'm glad that Ron Brown just contributed to this county by paying for a full page ad! What's that, about $1000? I think NGN should donate it to Lance's Team!!

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  6:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder what he will do next??

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 5 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy