New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 10 visitors.
 All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Jobless in blairsville
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Page: 
of 3
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
pussandboots

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  09:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked for 33 years and I made more than 5.15. Why should i ask for anything less. Our government took my job away and by doing so took food from my family's mouths. Yes I may recieve a check from the government through the mail, but why shouldn't I. Those responsible should be held accountable for thier sins.

What do you do for a living? Have you ever done a hard days work? You should try it, it will do your soul some good.

Go to Top of Page

pussandboots

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  09:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the 1st time in 33 years I have been unemployeed. Iam going to enjoy it.Go to Top of Page
Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  11:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have recently been told by a couple of folks over breakfast that we are expected to receive work very soon in our area. I heard that we will soon have within the next two to three years a Target, New Ingles, Toco Bell, Sonic, a couple more convienance stores and so if this is true (which I know that toco bell has had a 911 address for two years now) things are going to continue to progress and thus we will as well so do not fight against this growth. We need the jobs and the kids need something later on or else we will have left them in worse shape. We have had several jobs that they will never have the chance of experiencing because most are gone and or bankrupt.

daughterofconfederate

Target, Taco Bell, and Sonic are great for the consumer economy here in Blairsville, but it won't satisfy the job demand in the long run. The latest projection puts Union County at 53,000 residents by 2025. 40% of that 33,000 is retirees, and let's say 20% are children. That leaves 40%-13,200-in the work force. The cost of a new home in Blairsville is astronomical now, and will be horrificly expensive in twenty years. Let's say half of this workforce-6,600-are college-educated to have decent jobs to afford those high mortgage payments. People with MBAs, MAs, MDs, and JDs aren't going to work at Target or Taco Bell! Those stores will help out with minimum-wage and some middle-management workers, but those 6,000+ people need more complex jobs to afford a living. The UCDA needs to attract high-tech industries and more commercial business to satisfy the incoming job market. If we can get companies like Oracle and Merrill-Lynch to set up offices in this town, we will get those college-educated workers to set up a comfortable tax base, which will be needed to expand the infrastructure to handle this population explosion. Otherwise, expect high unemployment and an empty house market with only low-level employees coming into town.Go to Top of Page

Chris

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  4:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By Merrill-Lynch I meant financial services, mutual funds, etc. Since we could probably use competition from a large bank up here to keep the local branches on their toes, why not work getting this kind of commercial employers into town?

Go to Top of Page

pussandboots

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  1:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big college educated folks don't wont no plants to come back. They think we don't need them but I had rather be at a sewing machine than any where. Wish I was needed on one.

Go to Top of Page

BUSHWACKER

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  4:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can pass a drug test you can get a job at Home Depot and they have great career opportunities!

Go to Top of Page

mightymouse

Georgia
2 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  10:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you pussandboots. There should be more jobs in Blairsville. I know That you have worked very hard at the shoe factory. I have heard many stories about that place. Well thats it for now!

mightymouseGo to Top of Page

Nikita04

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  01:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if we do get a Target :)

I'll probably get slammed for this- but have you guys noticed to get the good jobs around here you have to be one of the town clique,or be related to one of them,etc?

Go to Top of Page

pussandboots

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  11:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe if you know some one at the nurssing home or hospital that would like to have some scrubs or uniforms made let me know.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  3:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, it is hard for a woman to get a job around here. But any able bodied man should have no problem, there is so much concrete and construction work. My husband can't find anybody to work in construction and he pays $14-$18 an hour.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  1:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my husband is a licensed builder and he has been building very expensive homes here for over 20 years. He is very talented and does all the inside work ( cabinets, tile, flooring) by himself.
He has never been to jail or done any drug in his life. I know where he is every weekend because he works 7 days a week, 365 a year.
He has a reference letter from every house he has built. Just ask Dr. Effird, Dr. Mike Gowder or Jim Steed what they think about the houses he built for them.
Most of his workers have been young, family men with children who worked very hard. Construction is hard, but it does pay well.

Go to Top of Page

zinger54

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  12:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like a couple of beers from time to time But Im not alcholic.

I'm not on probation.

I'm not going to jail.

I have lived in my home for about 11 yrs. Not a drifter.

I have a license to drive.

I have a family, wife and two kids.

I grew up in B-ville.

Ive tried it as a kid and if you say you never tried it you are most likely a liar.

Oh! wait a minute..........I did get a DUI .........22 YEARS AGO!

I am what I consider a fairly sucessful contract home remodeler/ emergency home repair service.I think this falls under the construction type person. So when you have a busted pipe in your up stairs bathroom at ten o'clock at night or a tree has fallen and broken a large window in 10 degree weather and you look in the phone book and call my number.........I'm gonna laugh! Thanks DOC! I needed that.

Go to Top of Page

zinger54

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  10:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take it easy DOC , no harm done .I was just trying to make a point . Not only in construction do you find losers they are every where and some how they seem to make it through the system. Its weird , I have hired people with the expertise and education and have gotten slow lazy work out of them . (not always but more than one would think) Its like they think that I am lucky to have them. Then I have hired the more uneducated less expirenced and gotten great results . Here the last couple of years when I have needed help I try to stay away from looking at their background . I try to pick the guy who seems to "WANT" to work. Maybe I'll have to teach a few things but to me its better than walking around a job looking for my help because they realy just don't "WANT" to work.So the morral to the story is "If you really want to work, you can work". Oh! and DOC ? I don't know what you do, but I would call on you anyday . You seem like a well rounded person with a good head on them shoulders .With a very strong will to ...........Im not really sure what......But I find that very attractive .I have been working my way back up to them thar hills for years , I am probably closer than you think, so who knows may be I'll get that call one day and I promise I won't laugh.

Go to Top of Page

get r done

13 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  02:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dear coosa creek just a little thought; if you would get off your computer and give your husband a little sumpin sumpin then he wouldn't work seven days a week.......get r done .....now thats funny right there

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  2:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey get r done, my husband works seven days a week because all his customers have to move in tomorrow and he can't get any workers to help him. No body seems to want to work full time. We have a wonderful marriage believe me. I have the greatest husband!!!!I love the cable guy, get r done.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  2:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yes, get r done, I also forgot to mention that I don't have a computer. I am trying to teach myself to use one at the library and we are only allowed to stay one hour a day. But I am trying to get r done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

wonder woman

9 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  12:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jobless in Blairsville? What about the surrounding area. Blue Ridge and Towns County and then there is Murphy.

Wonder womanGo to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  3:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first moved here, it took me almost 9 months to get any job at all, Things have changed some in 20 years, but it is still hard for women to get jobs. Maybe Wal Mart will change that,

Go to Top of Page

Nikita04

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  11:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking about jobs..What I think is sad is all of the outsourcing that is going on,jobs going to other countries that the work is done cheap(like India)

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  11:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. These counties was supported by the factorys and now, all of these people who have done factory work all of their lives are faced with re education? I think it is good for most but it is harder on a lot of folks.

Go to Top of Page

Nikita04

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  12:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small towns& even big cities are dealing with the outsourcing problem.Our jobs need to stay in the US.

Even the big companies are outsourcing-I called Hp tech support about a problem I was having with my pc& who do I talk to- A tech based out of India who I could not even understand a word he said.

Go to Top of Page

nealbirch

2 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this site while googling for blairsville, we're coming up your way for vacation this year. I just got to add my 2 cents in here.

I served 20+ years in the Navy, retired over 10 years ago (how did I get this old?), and I have had 3 jobs since then, I quit one, got layed off of the others. Last job I worked 7 years at is over in Bombay India right now. They can pay a educated Hindi 1/3 of what it cost them to pay me, not counting medical and tax costs, write off the stock grants they won't have to give me since I don't work for them any more, etc. Perfect business decision, CEO makes a bigger bonus, I got 3 months serverance + cobra (medical coverage) for 4. They even paid for a nice place to help me rewrite my resume and practice job interviews. If I hadn't saved while I was working, I wouldn't be taking vacation this year.

Most of the chain stores are not beneficial to the local economies, BTW. Big write up on it was published recently, you can probably find it on the web. First, they get a tax break to build in your neighbor hood, plus maybe get you to fix the roads up for them to handle all that traffic. Maybe you could throw up a traffic light, we would hate to have an accident out there. Then they don't buy local. Meats and produce get bagged elsewhere and then gets shipped in. They don't hire local accountants to do the paperwork. They don't hire local designers to lay out their stores. It's all done from the head office, more economically than it can be locally. They do have lower prices when they first open up, but it has been shown that as soon as the competition has closed up shop, the prices go to what the market will bear. They are very good at squeezing the money out, too. The only thing that doesn't go up is the money they pay their workers. Too many reports of undocumented (and unpaid) overtime for my taste.

My next job is going to be one that can't be shipped overseas. I can't afford to retrain every 7 years, even with my retirement pay as a cushion. Education isn't cheap, and to watch what skills you have become marginalized is very disheartening.

There is no easy, bumper sticker solution to this situation, dang it. I wish there was. But you know what? I've been here before, it seems. I remember the `70's being pretty rough. I remember my dad telling me about the `30's and I remember my Grands telling me about the times before that. It's that big old wheel a-turning round again, and the little guys (that's us, most likely) need to make sure we are riding it, and not under it.

Oh yeah, I'm from Florida, too. It's good to know we don't have the monopoly on less than honest governance. But I promise, baring any unfortunate accidents, I don't plan on dying in your beautiful town.

Just remember:
Smile, it annoys your enemies, confuses your family and comforts your friends.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  1:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on down Neal. Have you been to our lovely town before? I lived in Fla. for 32 years and it is the same in any little town.We are for the most part, nice people here.

Go to Top of Page

nealbirch

2 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  11:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, we will be visiting towards the end of October.

Just rode out the remnants of hurricane Francis here, no damage to our property, though the folks down the street had a tree fall on their house, and the step-sons basement flooded. Power is still out over half of Jacksonville, but we didn't lose lights at all. Of course, here comes Ivan... It still beats earthquakes, as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to natural disasters.

Go to Top of Page

Lynne

USA
806 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  02:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nealbirch...i spent 4 years in Navy (Corpman) hubby was in 10 now in reserves. Long story about why he didnt stay in....goes like this...very decorated...4.0 evals...wanted to go overseas since in 10 years never had...they wanted him to go to ship AGAIN...he said he wanted overseas or was getting out...so...here we are...actually lived in Jax...Mayport for one rotation. I am guessing that is how you ended up there. We are now here for 3 years and loving it!!! Florida has gotten just so bad...really not a bad place to die up here. Glad you are coming to visit. Have you been up here before?

:)Go to Top of Page

Topic is 3 Pages Long:
  1  2  3

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy