New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 18 visitors.

All Forums
 Local Politics and related issues
 Sole commissioner?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  08:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got this e-mail from a friend of mine. I think there needs to be more than one sole commissioner for a town this size, as well as Towns County...

Senator Nancy Shaefer will introduce a bill this week that would eliminate a Sole Commissioner for Towns County. Towns Sentinel reported this past week on the bill entered by Senator Schaefer to establish Multi Commissioner form of government for Towns County. I have been in touch with her and asked her to include Union County also. She stated that in order to do so Senator Chip Pearson would have to co-sponsor and include Union County. I have sent Chip an e-mail asking him to do this. As you may or may not be aware, there has already been much discussion and support among Republicans and some Democrats for a multi-commissioner board for this county. If you concur in this concept please contact Senator Pearson at: cpearson@paramont.net and call Congressman Charles Jenkins at (404) 656-0254 to let them know that you support us in this matter. Also let all your people know this also. This is the time for this type action. Senator Shaefer stated that this could be done. As always thatnks for your help. Stay on the cutting edge with us. Billy Turnage

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.

-I moved his to a new topic soo it would be easier to find. -Jim

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  11:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I was going to do that, but was in a hurry this am.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  11:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did it!!

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  09:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't believe we need multi man commission,(to all you ladies, man or him in this means man/woman or him/her just to lazy to type every time) . I have worked in several of the area counties that have multi man commissions and have found that you can never get anything done. Everyone passes the buck and blames the others. When one tries to do something the others will gang up on him. Each has their on agenda and tries to go in that direction.

With a sole commissioner you have only one making the decisions, right or wrong, and you know who to thank or blame. I had druther have someone to talk to about a decision made than many who can't or won't make one.

Most counties with multi man commissions have a county manager or a commission chairman, ususly the commissioners wind up at odds with who ever is trying to keep the county running.

Most commissioners in multi man situations spend most of their time running for office "next time" by blaming the others when something goes wrong or some one is mad.

thats why

why

Edited by - why on 02/11/2005 09:18:54 AMGo to Top of Page

puddin pop

USA
4628 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  09:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that is the way it seems to be in other counties. They fuss and fight and pit one against the other. My hubby has worked for a couple of counties with multi commissioners and he said that was they way they were. It is full of backstabbing.

This is puddin pop and I approved this messageGo to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  09:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lord, I just came upon thisun!

I think it would be better so to say in the general area of "conflict of interest" to have more than one comish. No disrespect nore will I get heavy into that "conflict of interest" matter cause its self explaining for those who have been here all of their lives.

Then again, with multi, that would mean all of them would have to agree to disagree and so forth. I suppose Ill email because, personally we cant say just who that one power player will be in that one seat and if theres more than one, there is hopes that it will be fair game. THATS JUST A FIGURE OF SPEACH TOO. ITS NOT A GAME.

Personally, Half native and half non natives would be a wise choice I would think.

GOD IS GREAT.. GOD IS GOOD!!!Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we have half and half we sure will never get anything done!

This sould not be a "them" or "us" situation, this should be what's best for the county and it's people.

I don't think we can afford a multi person (found the right word this time) commission. With that many running for office each one will have to make more promises to keep that we will have to pay for. To paraphrase the poet,

"I have promises to keep and constituents to satisify".

"...but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep."
Robert Frost,

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

This is no way means to reflect on the current administration as I believe he is doing his best for the county. I'm not sure that all those who may choose to run for the office would do the same.

thats why
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whyGo to Top of Page

mad4martinis

USA
13730 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  11:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree about the blaming each other, but we're in a county that is growing & growing. It's too big for just one man.

Shaken, dirty, 4 Olives.Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  3:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion size of the county doesn't have anything to do with it, it's the form of government we are talking about. If we elect three from one party and two from the other (assuming that we were to go with a five person commission) we would still be governed by one party. Any way you make up the commission, you still wind up with one party rule.

I believe you need one person to go to with your problems. Why add more government?? The least government we can get by with is still the most efficient.

No, you aren't always going to get what you want from the government, but neither is the other person who is asking for just the opposite of what you want.

If we ever get a multi person commission we will have a very hard time changing back because we will have 3 to 5 people (and their staffs) seeing their jobs a stake.

whyGo to Top of Page

nativelady

USA
11126 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  6:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit nativelady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not much into politics but I think that 'someday' we 'might' need another commissioner. As for now, our county is maintained well with what it has. That's my opinion. One day it will probably come to that but for now...we are set up pretty well.

"For greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world."
Love and Peace to all....Go to Top of Page

blairsville4

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  12:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit blairsville4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want to contact Chip Pearson, please use this address: chip@team51.org rather than his business one. (Team 51 is his term for district 51 our district.)

Go to Top of Page

why

USA
2072 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  4:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ment to put this on earlier, I e-mailed Senator Chip Pearson and voiced my opinion that we did not need a multi-person commission. Wonder how the comments went?

Any way, you all have a good week end and may God bless and keep you all.

whyGo to Top of Page

ShadowMan

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  01:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit ShadowMan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
White County has decided that three Commissioners does not serve them well enough, and is in the process of getting it changed to five:

http://www.whitecountynewstelegraph.com/articles/2006/07/06/news/news02.txt

Shadow

This is my kirttimukhaGo to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  02:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin,

Is there some reason that the effort is being made especially for Towns County?

I asked a question earlier whether anyone knew anything about our new commissioner, but didn't get an answer.

Judging from the constant stories in our newspapers, he seems to be knocking heads together whenever developers ignore the Mountain Protection Act.

We've had an endless exchange of letters and articles written by him and developers in our newspapers. They try to defend themselves, and he refutes their claims.

He has stated that he feels the need to protect our mountains in every fiber of his being. So he is taking a hard line with these guys and getting a lot of flak from them.

Unless someone can point out where he has been wrong, I am thrilled with his attitude.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts
Blairsville.com Administrator

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  02:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wildflower, at the time this topic was started, there was a different owner and admin. I'm afraid I don't have much insight into Towns County politics.

Looking back at the topic starter though, it appears that Mad4Martinis was the actual author of that post, and Admin was only moving it to its own topic.

Go to Top of Page

Honoria

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with more than one Commissioner is "politics" which seems to be a "4-letter-word" and justly so in some cases.

The reason there are always "odd" numbered Commissioners is so that someone can be "blamed" for breaking a tie-vote, if there is one. Why bother? Why put up with all that politicking when you can have a Sole Commissioner who allows the Voters to decide issues? Or who has committees made up of County residents to formulate ordinances?

Too many Commissioners makes it too easy for one lobbying group or another to influence the decision making. Having a Sole Commissioner, especially one who really cares about his County, as Lamar Paris does, gives the Voters a real voice and choice in decision making on issues which affect them.

When you have a "Committee" of Commissioners, your voice is not heard and your opinion counts for nothing (unless you know how to grease the wheels of politics). Look at this "vote for/against selling alcohol by the drink in restaurants" issue. Do you not consider that if Union County had three or five Commissioners, the Wine & Beer Lobby would not have tried to 'buy' the majority vote already? And your voice and your vote would mean nothing.

Lamar Paris should write a book about managing a County as a Sole Commissioner. I'm sure it hasn't been easy. He wants one more term in office to finish some of the projects he started and Union County voters should give him that opportunity.

He won't be like some politicians in office who years ago said "just one more term." (If you get my drift.)

Honoria

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy